Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2018, 04:19 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,091,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It's a matter of personal responsibility. Don't have children you can't afford. The government shouldn't subsidize you to have kids.
Sure.. but it is still a concern (and worth discussing) why it cost so much to have children. At some point, we are effectively saying poor and lower income people simply shouldn't procreate. Not sure if that's a good message or cultural shift for this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
The government should not be a carrot or a stick to influence your life decisions.
I doubt child tax implications, which people have already pointed out is small, is encouraging people to have a child.

Maybe.. other programs... maybe... like welfare.. but for tax. Nah... A lot of poor people don't even pay much income tax to begin with.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:26 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,034,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
This was part of why my spouse and I decided it would be better to focus on maximizing his income potential while I left my career to become a full-time mother. I'm not sure our strategy would be wise or even successful for a couple today, but we were able to make it work.
You made the correct and wise decision. Child care costs are zero, and your children get the best possible scenario: being raised only by loving parents 24/7/365. Instead of dumping your child in day care to be neglected by unloving institutional workers, and working a million hours to pay for this terrible care, and then getting home dead tired and having to feed them and get rid of them rather than enjoy them and actually raise them.

We need to go back to basics. Fully committed legally married parents, one parent stays home full time, the other works, children are always raised and supervised by present and engaged parents. Get rid of the big house and the I-phones and the material bull$hit. Make it work. It's the best way to raise kids and it yields the best future citizens. Does anyone wonder why we have mentally deranged kids who don't know what's between their legs and what gender they are? Could it be that raising kids properly actually requires love, guidance, and being physically present and involved for all of their 18-20 pre-adult years? I wonder. (actually, that was rhetorical, I don't wonder at all.)

Old 12-06-2018, 04:26 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
And she handed you your lunch pail in the morning. And if dinner wasn’t on the table when you got home, she’d hear about it. And if the kids disturbed you while you were watching TV in your recliner after a hard day’s work, they’d get the business end of your belt.

Yeah, those were the good ol’ days. Silly career moms... jobs are for dudes.
Now I know you never met her haha. It was a decision we made together. She went back to work when the youngest of our 5 kids got his drivers license and proved himself to be trustworthy.

It wasn’t easy but we also sent all 5 of them to Catholic school so you can do anything if you are willing to work in this country.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Bottom line is that some people view anything done for the collective good to be horrible and tyrannical. In the US we have a very high number of these type of hard core ideologues.
I have to agree with this as well. My father and I talk about this a lot. While I value individual rights a lot... I also think we as a nation have some sort of responsibility towards the collective.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Got more than enough champ. And probably pay a truck load more taxes than you, but not whining about it every 5 minutes on this thread. Your social Darwinist tripe is embarrassing.

I paid the piper for a total of about 8 years between 2 kids before they went to elementary school.

Shelled out over $80K in that time. However, combined net income was probably $800K more during that time period than it would have been, so it made sense for us. For the most part we made too much to really gain the deductions.

For some reason I don't come here and whine, rant, cry, and in general throw a fit about it like SO MANY of you rugged individualist right wingers do. Because I can step outside of myself and see the big picture for a few seconds.

Worth trying.
Good attitude to have...

I try not to but I think everyone can whine a little about the cost... I just have a problem when they point the finger at other people expecting them to solve it. Like those that ignore the lack of financial planning, savings, inflated life/style and such point the finger but fail to realize that they are the blame for their situation.

There were parents in my son's daycare graduating class that threw a party... I was shocked at their half a million dollar home and expensive cars while complaining pointing the finger at the daycare(s) and government regulations for them having to stretch paycheck to paycheck.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:44 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You made the correct and wise decision. Child care costs are zero, and your children get the best possible scenario: being raised only by loving parents 24/7/365. Instead of dumping your child in day care to be neglected by unloving institutional workers, and working a million hours to pay for this terrible care, and then getting home dead tired and having to feed them and get rid of them rather than enjoy them and actually raise them.

We need to go back to basics. Fully committed legally married parents, one parent stays home full time, the other works, children are always raised and supervised by present and engaged parents. Get rid of the big house and the I-phones and the material bull$hit. Make it work. It's the best way to raise kids and it yields the best future citizens. Does anyone wonder why we have mentally deranged kids who don't know what's between their legs and what gender they are? Could it be that raising kids properly actually requires love, guidance, and being physically present and involved for all of their 18-20 pre-adult years? I wonder. (actually, that was rhetorical, I don't wonder at all.)
Well, I didn't have a choice because we needed both incomes to survive. But my kids loved their daycare, and the care was not substandard at all. There were times I would come to pick them up and they'd cry because they didn't want to leave yet. This was not uncommon there at all. You'd see several kids wailing all the way down the hall when their parents came to get them. Daycare was fun for them. I did get an opportunity eventually to stay home with my kids when they got a little older, which was great too, but honestly I felt like my youngest was missing out a little on the fun because there weren't any other kids nearby to play with during the day near our house.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:52 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I believe it is called "The rat race". A median house is $419,000 in Fort Collins and rents are high. Why wouldn't child boarding cost be elevated as well?

I would imagine commercial property used to store the children is high in Fort Collins. Liability insurance for a child storage facility has to be astronomical. You have to pay the staff a wage adequate to live in the community.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
... Child care costs are zero,..
Not really.

Immediate cash outlay is zero is a more appropriate description.

Lost wages, healthcare, seniority, retirement savings etc are indeed "costs" associated with leaving the workforce. Whether those are affordable costs in the long run will vary from family to family.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:52 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not really.

Immediate cash outlay is zero is a more appropriate description.

Lost wages, healthcare, seniority, retirement savings etc are indeed "costs" associated with leaving the workforce. Whether those are affordable costs in the long run will vary from family to family.
Indeed, and while I'm very glad we made the decision to be a one-income family now that our last child is preparing to launch, I'm very aware of the downside, too. It's not all sunshine and roses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies