Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:07 PM

532 posts, read 446,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
The economy was at rock bottom when Obama took office. Economic cycles dictate that it was going to bounce from that bottom, Obama was not the reason this happened.

I like Obama and I'm not a Trump fan ….. but I think you may be correct.

I've been invested in the market more and more for 40 years, it rises slow which is fun, it reacts emotionally and irrationally and drops fast which really sucks!

I'm down about 30k this week but still buying in, wish me luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 09:08 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
When the financial security of the nation is in free fall, decisions have to be made to save it. Obama made those decisions. The economy flowered.
Now Trump is making those decisions. Almost universally, economists are saying he is making the wrong decisions concerning the economy.
It's Trump's economy to either maintain through good fiscal policies or his to blow up with ignorant policy decisions, contrary to sound economic policy.

In short, the man knows nothing about Free Trade, Tariffs, or deficits and he won't listen to advisors who know what they're talking about.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/u...ght-think.html

Quote:
But the reality is that presidents have far less control over the economy than you might imagine. Presidential economic records are highly dependent on the dumb luck of where the nation is in the economic cycle. And the White House has no control over the demographic and technological forces that influence the economy.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/...nomies-or-gdp/

Quote:
Presidents are one small piece of the public-policy picture — and public policy as a whole is only a small part of what shapes and moves a complex modern economy. We tend toward a destructively immature and ahistorical view: The regulatory reforms that made the Internet boom of the Clinton years began decades before; the confluence of terrible policies that created the subprime meltdown and financial crisis of 2008–09 began in the 1930s, with housing and banking reforms and regulatory development occurring under presidents and Congresses of both parties in ways that would frustrate any intellectually rigorous attempt at laying blame on a partisan basis. The Asian currency crisis of the Clinton years, Communist aggression and Mideast conflict in Eisenhower’s time, the terrorist attacks during George W. Bush’s first year in office: None of these was the result of some decision taken in the White House. George W. Bush wanted to be a school reformer and economic booster, not a president overseeing a long and thankless campaign against distant desert savages.
In other words, its all nonsense that stupid people buy into when elections roll around because thats what their favorite party tells them to believe.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
I like Obama and I'm not a Trump fan ….. but I think you may be correct.

I've been invested in the market more and more for 40 years, it rises slow which is fun, it reacts emotionally and irrationally and drops fast which really sucks!

I'm down about 30k this week but still buying in, wish me luck!!
Yup, keep buying in while its tanking, you are buying stuff on sale if you are in it for the long run. There is also plenty opportunity to trade if you have the time and knowledge because the crazy volatility we are seeing now is a great opportunity to make money.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:12 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
They have to make sure there is always a negative thread about Obama or Hillary to distract. There is nothing distracting the country from the swamp that is overflowing in the White House. There has never been a swamp so deep that has occupied it.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/u...ght-think.html

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/...nomies-or-gdp/

In other words, its all nonsense that stupid people buy into when elections roll around because thats what their favorite party tells them to believe.

That's simply not true. Actions by the president matter.
Are you calling the fact that Trump blew up the China impasse with a tweet and the market immediately lost 1000 points, nothing?
Are you saying that giving a 1.3 trillion tax cut to rich corporations had no effect on the market?

Come on...………...

Old 12-07-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
That's simply not true. Actions by the president matter.
Are you calling the fact that Trump blew up the China impasse with a tweet and the market immediately lost 1000 points, nothing?
Are you saying that giving a 1.3 trillion tax cut to rich corporations had no effect on the market?

Come on...………...
Lol, fake news, right? I knew it.

There is a ton of information and lots of examples in those articles that show that one POTUS isn't some sort of magic overlord of the economy, so yeah, I'm telling you that the POTUS isn't some magic market maker.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
No that isn't what I'm saying at all, how did you possibly come up with that stupidity from what I said?
Are you from a group that’s been historically ignored? You postulated that my group (minorities) have been historically ignored.

So what group hasn’t been historically ignored? Your group?

Old 12-07-2018, 11:41 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Or did it all magically become 100% President Trump's responsibility when things took a downward turn?
Obama hasn't been President since January 20, 2017. It is now almost 2019. It seems you are getting quite desperate to find some way to explain away what is happening now. This is pathetic. Just man up and own it.

"It's the Democrats who won the midterms! It's Obama! It's... Hillary's emails!... It's Soros! SAUL ALINSKY!!"

Let Dip**** Trump take credit for it going down. He was very happy to take big credit for it when the market was going on the last year, and he/you gave Obama zero credit for the market growth in the six or so years prior.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:52 AM

17,628 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammothLove View Post
Obama committed treason?!
Do tell.
What exactly did Obama do while in office that was treasonous?
Now, tRump on the other hand may have.
We shall see.
He sent $1.7B in cash to Iran, which nobody seems to care about. That's as treasonous as it gets in my book, but I understand if you don't care. No liberals care about anything improper Obama did.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:42 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Was he responsible for the uptick?

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Was Trump responsible for the uptick?

No.

Was either of them the cause of the crash of 29 or 87? No.

Its all about the economic cycle that equity markets are good at front running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies