Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 08:57 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Who are you referring to when you say 'people like you"?
It's a reference to whoever Hannity, Limbaugh, etc tell them to hate.

Quote:
Is it your opinion that rural voters are the only real people in this country?
I think they see anyone outside the boundaries of their little rwnj clan as "not real Americans." The problem for them is that those boundaries keep closing in on them. Don't think for one minute that they don't see it as an existential threat.

Might explain their fear, anger and willingness to follow a demagogue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 09:14 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

I think they see anyone outside the boundaries of their little rwnj clan as "not real Americans." The problem for them is that those boundaries keep closing in on them. Don't think for one minute that they don't see it as an existential threat.

Might explain their fear, anger and willingness to follow a demagogue.

I watched part of the video of this English guy. His line that went something like this, "I will vote for something you are against because you are against it. Even if I do not support it" That is the problem here. The MAGAts here will vote against their own interests simply b/c those they consider progressive, marxist, communist, statist, etc (things they know nothing about much less that one should not string them all together) are for something.

Regardless, 'one' could see a dog turd on the sidewalk and start a campaign to not eat said dog turd. The MAGt will eat the dog turd because they simply do the opposite of 'one' despite the consequences. MAGAts - Don't eat dog turds you find outside.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:33 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I watched part of the video of this English guy. His line that went something like this, "I will vote for something you are against because you are against it. Even if I do not support it" That is the problem here. The MAGAts here will vote against their own interests simply b/c those they consider progressive, marxist, communist, statist, etc (things they know nothing about much less that one should not string them all together) are for something.

Regardless, 'one' could see a dog turd on the sidewalk and start a campaign to not eat said dog turd. The MAGt will eat the dog turd because they simply do the opposite of 'one' despite the consequences. MAGAts - Don't eat dog turds you find outside.
Illustrates the effect of 25 years of hate radio and Fox News.

Their unrelenting message of "America sucks and it's all your neighbors' fault!" finds an audience among those who've been left behind by the changing economy they're no longer equipped to participate in. They fail to see the irony of their support for the party that's largely responsible for tilting the table away from them.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:21 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:

Where in the hell did you get "rural" anything out of what I posted? I'm surrounded by 9 million people and I've never lived anywhere "rural" in my life.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:36 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:

Quote:
It may or may not be outright "rural", but the typical reference to "real people" is primarily to those who are culturally and vocationally blue-collar, and who hold the value-system that's condign with the smaller-towns and the Heartland. In particular, a college professor, a lawyer, a quantitative financial-analyst, a software developer or an architect would probably be excluded.

We owe the modern moniker of "real people" to that paragon of wisdom, Sarah Palin. She, far better than Trump, was the one who crystallized the modern boundaries in the culture-wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
This guy is a bit more nuanced. First, he’s British, and Britain – unlike the US – has a venerable, coherent, well-defined civilization and cultural legacy. Britain is a small island that’s a former world-power in decline. It has much reason to feel self-conscious and vulnerable. To dilute Britain with vast numbers of newcomers, who don’t share the values of their new country, who clamor for special accommodation, and who insist on promulgating their native ways as superior alternative to the ways of the host-country, will naturally result in distaste, frustration and animosity. But the US has always been a porridge. America remains a huge and dominant country, which would only weaken if it weakens itself. The dynamic between native and newcomer is different here. The relative gain or loss is different. The rationale for bemoaning a passing of tradition and culture, is different.

Second, his point is to condemn doctrinaire extremism, presumably irrespective of whether it’s left or right. He overwhelmingly maligns the left as being the more extreme, but his point could reasonably be applied to both sides.

Third, he’s quick to venerate democracy. He doesn’t say things like “the popular vote doesn’t matter; it’s all about the electoral college”. He doesn’t champion a partitioning of voters into cohorts, where each cohort votes, and the votes are tallied. I wonder how he’d feel were he to have been transplanted into American society.

But more broadly, “the enemy of my enemy, is my friend” is an old and potentially still useful idea. It simply means that we should remain tactically flexible about our alliances.

What’s gone wrong, I think, is that vast swaths of American votes feel allegiance to a demagogue because he verbally pummels people whom they hate. It isn’t even his policies that appeal to them, but the fact that he gleefully and forcefully sticks it to uppity, stuffy “elites”, who in the minds of these voters, have long deserved a comeuppance.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:52 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This guy is a bit more nuanced. First, he’s British, and Britain – unlike the US – has a venerable, coherent, well-defined civilization and cultural legacy. Britain is a small island that’s a former world-power in decline. It has much reason to feel self-conscious and vulnerable. To dilute Britain with vast numbers of newcomers, who don’t share the values of their new country, who clamor for special accommodation, and who insist on promulgating their native ways as superior alternative to the ways of the host-country, will naturally result in distaste, frustration and animosity. But the US has always been a porridge. America remains a huge and dominant country, which would only weaken if it weakens itself. The dynamic between native and newcomer is different here. The relative gain or loss is different. The rationale for bemoaning a passing of tradition and culture, is different.

Second, his point is to condemn doctrinaire extremism, presumably irrespective of whether it’s left or right. He overwhelmingly maligns the left as being the more extreme, but his point could reasonably be applied to both sides.

Third, he’s quick to venerate democracy. He doesn’t say things like “the popular vote doesn’t matter; it’s all about the electoral collegeâ€. He doesn’t champion a partitioning of voters into cohorts, where each cohort votes, and the votes are tallied. I wonder how he’d feel were he to have been transplanted into American society.

But more broadly, “the enemy of my enemy, is my friend†is an old and potentially still useful idea. It simply means that we should remain tactically flexible about our alliances.

What’s gone wrong, I think, is that vast swaths of American votes feel allegiance to a demagogue because he verbally pummels people whom they hate. It isn’t even his policies that appeal to them, but the fact that he gleefully and forcefully sticks it to uppity, stuffy “elitesâ€, who in the minds of these voters, have long deserved a comeuppance.
I was only addressing his comment of voting opposite of those he maligns even to his own detriment. That is what the trumpist here in the U.S. are doing. Maybe he is not English or would never call himself such. I don't know so I agree that it would be better to call him British as that covers more ground. OTOH, he may not even be from Great Britain and we are both wrong. Other than that I do not disagree with your assessment. I'm not British nor am I European so there is going to be some nuance that I do not understand. Cheers.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:54 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Illustrates the effect of 25 years of hate radio and Fox News.

Their unrelenting message of "America sucks and it's all your neighbors' fault!" finds an audience among those who've been left behind by the changing economy they're no longer equipped to participate in. They fail to see the irony of their support for the party that's largely responsible for tilting the table away from them.

Not far off.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:54 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
The anti trump wave is here. It takes the house next month. And two years from now, we’re firing Donald.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:38 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
“At some point, someone has to stand up and in the face of fear of Fox News, fear of their base, fear of mean tweets, stand up for the values of this country and not slink away into retirement but stand up and speak the truth. I find it frustrating to be here answering questions about things that are far less important than the values this country is built upon.”

"The FBI’s reputation has taken a big hit because the president of the United States with his acolytes has lied about it constantly. And in the face of those lies, a whole lot of good people who watch your network [Fox News] believe that nonsense. That’s a tragedy. That will be undone eventually, but that damage has nothing to do with me.”

“Their [republicans] silence is shameful .Someday, they gotta explain to their grandchildren what they did today.”

"Today wasn’t a search for truth, but a desperate attempt to find anything that can be used to attack the institutions of justice investigating this president. They came up empty today but will try again. In the long run, it'll make no difference because facts are stubborn things."

Comments made by James Comey while being interviewed by FOX.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:44 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
"Now we are a country that can’t seem to stand up to a ruler who orders the murder and dismemberment of a dissident who was a legal U.S. resident or call out Russia’s intrusion into America’s democratic process. Children know how to scream and sulk; they don’t know how to take control and restore order. They don’t know how to plot out a responsible position and then act on it. A child occupies the White House, and the world knows it."

Patti Davis, daughter of Ronald Reagan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies