Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 03:11 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,735,587 times

Advertisements

I generally try to avoid conspiracy theories but, in this case, I think the conclusions cannot be rationally avoided. Various interests around the world are deliberately and very skillfully using social media to derail democratic societies. The basic idea is to use the ideal of free speech against nations that try to protect free speech. Russia's known efforts to manipulate US elections is just the tiny tip of a giant iceberg.

I'm wondering if anyone here has read this book:
LikeWar: The Weaponization of Social Media
https://www.likewarbook.com/

I have not yet read the book, but I did hear an NPR interview which I found somewhat shocking, even though I was already familiar with many of the examples and ideas:
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/09/65582...d-consequences

In preparing this post, I also came across this video that looks interesting, but I have not yet watched it:
https://www.csis.org/events/likewar-...n-social-media

I think we need to take these threats seriously, and I think we should all make a conscious effort to foil these conspiratorial efforts by not falling for the trolls/bots, etc. who are fueling a lot of the deep political and social divisions in America. The question is: How do we protect ourselves?

And if any mods are reading this, I would love to know what, if anything C-D is doing to identify bots, etc., who might be bringing this "war" here to C-D threads. Have any nefarious agents of this sort been identified and kicked out of C-D? If so, are their posts still available for viewing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 03:15 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,121,077 times
Its easy to hijack a movement. Say what they wanna hear, you just gotta rile up the loud ignorant ones in the crowd.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:20 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,404,147 times
Those that don't use social media that much, including web forums, are better people that many of us.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:55 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,146,625 times
I haven't heard of it, Galylenwolf, and NPR is good about these things, but I'm a little cautious about books that aren't from a major publisher, and the authors seem to have right-wing-ish credentials.

But I'll in turn mention a book I heard about from NPR:

Cyberwar: How Russian Hackers and Trolls Helped Elect a President What We Don't, Can't, and Do Know
By Kathleen Hall Jamieson
https://global.oup.com/academic/prod...&lang=en&cc=us

https://www.wnyc.org/story/learning-...ords-city-bees

Old 10-09-2018, 05:59 PM

1,487 posts, read 783,145 times
I think bots are actually protected. I really do. I think social media is aware of their existence on their forums, and they are serving a purpose to get "debates" started. Great for the sites, bad for overall morale.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:03 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
I am actually surprised that this hasn't been proposed already because it happened for years with the e-mail chains that say Obama is a Muslim who got sworn in the Q'aran.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:03 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,229,128 times
I can't even tell you how many times paranoid progs have denounced me as a "russian bot". If I had a nickel....

According to them , they are everywhere. Under every rock and behind every tree and bush...just waiting to sow discord.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I can't even tell you how many times paranoid progs have denounced me as a "russian bot". If I had a nickel....

According to them , they are everywhere. Under every rock and behind every tree and bush...just waiting to sow discord.
Just as I have been called a Soros paid still. Still waiting on my first check if I was one...

Old 10-09-2018, 08:18 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,735,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I haven't heard of it, Galylenwolf, and NPR is good about these things, but I'm a little cautious about books that aren't from a major publisher, and the authors seem to have right-wing-ish credentials.
If you listen to the NPR interview, I think your concerns about the credibility of the authors will be alleviated. But I want to emphasize that these authors are looking at examples that range far, far, far beyond Russian bots in the 2016 election. Gang wars in Chicago, for example, triggered by social media posts. "Twitter wars" in the Middle East. Fans of Taylor Swift vs. fans of Kayne West, etc.

Basically, you can join on-line "armies" aiming to sway public opinion one way or another. And there are "click farms" where 100s of people in impoverished countries are paid (sorta like "sweat shops") to click on "likes" etc. (I've also heard of companies paying people to produce fake product reviews on Amazon.)

One major casualty, of course, is our ability to distinguish real news from fake stuff (e.g., truth gets consistently buried under mountains of flat-out lies), but a lot of it also leads to straight-up physical violence - in some cases even fairly large-scale violence. Also worrisome: AI tech being used to with greater and greater effectiveness to create fake pics and videos that are nearly indistinguishable from actual recordings ("deep fakes"). And on the theme of AI, we find that "AI wars" are starting to emerge in which AI vs AI leaves us caught in the middle of floods of fakery and propaganda.
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/09/65582...d-consequences

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 10-09-2018 at 08:34 PM..

Old 10-10-2018, 07:44 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,452,130 times
The biggest facilitators of this are the big wigs like FB and Google themselves. Lies, deceit and propaganda are tools of the radical ends of the spectrum and today the Leftist end controls the media in all of it's forms. These giant Leftist media conglomerates are Fascist tools to be used to push lies, discord and division just like the Commies wanted to happen for over a hundred years here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies