Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2021, 06:25 PM

12,051 posts, read 6,601,359 times

Advertisements

I’ve never heard of Glenn Loury before, but this opinion piece made my day!
Instead of all the racial divisiveness and hatred, its so hopeful and helpful to hear such a strongly positive black voice and opinion. We can do so much more as a country if we are focused on the positives, still learning and growing from our mistakes, but not tearing down the country over them.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/july...nd-glenn-loury
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 07:49 AM

20,131 posts, read 16,215,751 times
Quote:
In the last 75 years, a vast Black middle class has developed. There are Black billionaires. The influence of Black people on the culture of America is stunning and has global resonance. Some 40 million strong, Black Americans are the richest and most powerful population of African descent on the planet.

There are 200 million Nigerians, and the gross national product of Nigeria is just about $1 trillion per year. America’s GNP is over $20 trillion a year, and we 40 million African-Americans have claim to roughly 10 percent of it.

We have access to ten times the income of a typical Nigerian.....
As I have said for years, while it is abhorrent my ancestors were slaves, I live a life of wealth and freedom unimaginable to them, or people of African descent who live elsewhere, because I was lucky enough to be born in this nation. The single greatest privilege on this Earth is American Privilege and, as is part of the definition of privilege, too many Black Americans are blind to the advantages and gifts they receive just because they are Americans.

Quote:
The central issue, then, is a question of narrative. Are we going to look through the dark lens of the U.S. as a racist, genocidal, white supremacist, illegitimate force? Or are we going to see it for what it has become over the course of the last three centuries: the greatest force for human liberty on the planet?
Hopefully we start re-embracing the second narrative.

I think having lived overseas has given me an understanding that those who have never actually lived elsewhere don’t get. Just visiting doesn’t give the true picture.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:03 AM

24,612 posts, read 17,356,422 times
I agree. The American People of all races have an incredible opportunity simply for the luck of being born here. There are not too many countries in the world where someone that is born poor can rise through dedication, hard work and imagination to riches. Obama should have been an example to "his People" of just how far a smart well spoken black man could go but it didn't work like that. Sadly instead the Democrats have allowed Black Americans to blame the invisible enemy of white supremacy to oppress them and worse to manipulate them.

I truly believe that most Americans are colour blind but we rely heavily on the content of someones character as a defining characteristic.

America is the greatest nation on the planet for opportunity and all that people need to do is stand up and dare to achieve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies