Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2018, 08:10 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
It should be stated that building a wall is not a one time thing. You will need funds to maintain it.

Of course, but will it not cost over $100 billion a year to do so as the cost of illegal aliens every year?

Last edited by Oldglory; 12-21-2018 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 08:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I want a Tesla. Do I take my neighbors? I want a mansion. Do I camp in my neighbors garage? Come on.
This is not a logical argument.

There is a law that allows for someone seeking refugee status to be held in custody as their application is reviewed.

There is no law that allows you to take your neighbors stuff while you work towards getting the things you want.

I'm not saying I support the laws/procedure -- I'm saying the procedure/laws exist. If you don't like those laws that allow for the this procedure -- GET THE LAW CHANGED.

Change the law first.....and then maybe look into building a wall.

There's a bunch of stuff that would/could address illegal residents that can be done that are less costly. They aren't as big of a show though and that's why Trump doesn't pursue these other procedural changes.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:12 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Your pesky facts do not give an estimate for costs of building the wall for the entire border!

This is what you need to educate yourself about the actual estimate done by the government accountability office

CBP Is Evaluating Designs and Locations for Border
Barriers but Is Proceeding Without Key Information

I never said it did, reading comprehension problems today?

Old 12-21-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Border security my ass. You republicans waste money like drunken sailors. The 757s just fly over the wall from around the world. All of those stem courses that you broke your ass taking in college may be for naught because some H-1b undercut the salary that you hoped for.

You are far better off if the H-1b level is reduced to 0 for ten years. Try holding Congresses feet to the fire on that one.

How is the wall a waste of money when those good walls in place already have cut back illegal entry significantly? Border jumpers aren't flying over here they are on foot, duh. If you are referring to visa over stayers yes that's a problem also but it will have to be dealt with in a different way. This discussion is about the wall. Try to stay on topic, will you?

Old 12-21-2018, 08:16 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How is the wall a waste of money when those good walls in place already have cut back illegal entry significantly? Border jumpers aren't flying over here they are on foot, duh. If you are referring to visa over stayers yes that's a problem also but it will have to be dealt with in a different way. This discussion is about the wall. Try to stay on topic, will you?
BUT those overstaying their visas comprise the LARGEST number of illegal residents.

Wouldn't you address the most obvious & biggest issue?

Also -- if federal e-verify was mandatory -- wouldn't that deter companies from hiring illegal residents. (I think most companies hiring illegal residents KNOW they are hiring illegal residents & they do it anyways -- like those Republican farmers who hired that violent killer).

Old 12-21-2018, 08:18 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The anti-wall people in here will never put it to rest. That's all they've got and they sound like parrots in here all day long spouting the same thing over and over. They have no viable reason not support funding the wall by the taxpayer so they keep saying, but, but, Mexico, etc. ad nauseum. Funny how they had no problem with the taxpayer funding it back in 2006. Hmm.
You into wasting our tax paid money on a plan that is half-baked and the full costs not understood?

Quote:
DHS plans to spend billions of dollars developing and deploying new
barriers along the southwest border. However, by proceeding without key
information on cost, acquisition baselines, and the contributions of
previous barrier and technology deployments, DHS faces an increased
risk that the Border Wall System Program will cost more than projected,
take longer than planned, or not fully perform as expected
. Without
assessing costs when prioritizing locations for future barriers, CBP does
not have complete information to determine whether it is using its limited
resources in the most cost-effective manner and does not have important
cost information that would help it develop future budget requests.
Report to Congressional Requesters

Old 12-21-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Its laughable that congress approved a $1T tax cut a year ago in addition to defense increases and couldn't find enough money for a wall when they owned both houses. Now the $5B is suddenly a matter of life and death to stop the scary immigrants.

Scary "immigrants"? This is about illegal aliens who are raping our country in every way, criminals, the drug cartels and those from know terrorist countries that are slipping through our border undetected. Not that you and yours care.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:21 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I want a Tesla. Do I take my neighbors? I want a mansion. Do I camp in my neighbors garage? Come on.

Good argument for why government should not take our tax dollars and waste it on a project that they have no clue about overall cost or logistics.

BTW, trump is no builder. He is an idiot without the ability to understand logistics of the project and costs.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Fence does not equal a wall.

It's about a tall double barrier. Call it what you want. Those words seem to be interchangeable these days.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:23 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
It seems simplistic thinking is the "bar" for the Wall Lovers - they don't even stop for a minute to notice that Trump signed legislation to bring in tens of thousands of temp seasonal workers (low-end) for his own resorts and similar jobs! That's a very clear indication that the "upper class" can't find Americans to do the work.

Not a peep from Old Glory about why Texas doesn't do E-Verify. The simplest thing - Abbot can put it up for a vote and pass it with his deep Red Legislature. Why doesn't he? The answer is very simple - he knows illegal workers are a major part of the Texas economy (wink wink).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies