Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 07:34 PM

57,313 posts, read 26,236,916 times

Advertisements

So Governor LePage pardons one of his cronies on a drug trafficking charge after his extensive comments on minority drug dealers bringing drugs into Maine. All this in spite of the parole board being against his actions..

Quote:
A former longtime member of the clemency board says the pardon of Jeffrey Pierce was highly unusual, and a national expert says Maine's pardon process lacks accountability.

Paul LePage’s last-minute pardon as governor of a former Republican lawmaker from Dresden for a drug trafficking conviction 35 years ago went against the recommendation of his own board on executive clemency.
In fact, the board didn’t even schedule a public hearing before rejecting the pardon request of Jeffrey Pierce, which makes LePage’s decision even more unusual, said Lenny Sharon, an Auburn attorney who served on the board for 23 years.

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/01/...lemency-board/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 07:42 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Pardons are frequently abused. Are you upset now because it's a republican? Can you show me when you cared when it was a democrat?

I say this seriously because if you put the power in place then you have to accept that both parties might use it.

Also, you don't seem to live in Maine so isn't this their issue? Frankly I'd be angry if I were a ME voter but I'm not and so what am I supposed to do with this information?

Lastly, I'm guessing you're young so um ever heard of Marc Rich? If you've never started a thread on that guy then wow....you are in for some epic heartburn....unless of course you ignore it out of partisanship.

Cannot wait to hear your reply about Marc Rich.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:06 PM

2,486 posts, read 825,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Pardons are frequently abused. Are you upset now because it's a republican? Can you show me when you cared when it was a democrat?

I say this seriously because if you put the power in place then you have to accept that both parties might use it.

Also, you don't seem to live in Maine so isn't this their issue? Frankly I'd be angry if I were a ME voter but I'm not and so what am I supposed to do with this information?

Lastly, I'm guessing you're young so um ever heard of Marc Rich? If you've never started a thread on that guy then wow....you are in for some epic heartburn....unless of course you ignore it out of partisanship.

GREAT POST!

OP: please see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Obama pardoned nearly 2000 people. Trump 7, Kennedy over 500, Clinton over 400.

Some of the pardons were for drug dealers, child molesters, people who broke campaign laws and/or didn't flip on them.

Pardons are wholely abused, however many of them righteous and deservedly so.

IMHO: Saucier was totally railroaded to be made an example of for political reasons, Johnson didn't deserve a life sentence for petty dealing. I can't disagree with any of the last few pardons, though I question most over the last 40 years starting with Ford pardoning Nixon.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:11 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
GREAT POST!

OP: please see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Obama pardoned nearly 2000 people. Trump 7, Kennedy over 500, Clinton over 400.

Some of the pardons were for drug dealers, child molesters, people who broke campaign laws and/or didn't flip on them.

Pardons are wholely abused, however many of them righteous and deservedly so.

IMHO: Saucier was totally railroaded to be made an example of for political reasons, Johnson didn't deserve a life sentence for petty dealing. I can't disagree with any of the last few pardons, though I question most over the last 40 years starting with Ford pardoning Nixon.
The worst pardon in modern times was Clinton pardoning Rich after his family donated heavily to the DNC.

The guy was on the FBI 10 most wanted list, billionaire living in Europe at the time.

I should search for the OP's past comments on RIch but will instead give them an opportunity to comment.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:16 PM

57,313 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:

He was critical of drugs coming into Maine claiming it was minorities degrading his state but he pardons a Republican supporter going against his own parole board reccomdation. Put aside your partisan blinders and tell me how you rationalize his actions.

LePage has been in the national news for his right wing views, it’s not a secret. Spare me the whataboutism and stay on topic rather than going back 20 years to excuse his actions.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:19 PM

1,199 posts, read 639,435 times
I’ve heard of Marc Rich. Pardoning him was disgraceful, and many people, including Democrats, took Clinton to task for it when it happened 18 years ago.

With that historical whataboutism out of the way, is it cool to criticize LePage now? Or should we just exempt everyone from criticism because “both sides?”

Old 01-04-2019, 08:20 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Quote:
The worst pardon in modern times was Clinton pardoning Rich after his family donated heavily to the DNC.

The guy was on the FBI 10 most wanted list, billionaire living in Europe at the time.

I should search for the OP's past comments on RIch but will instead give them an opportunity to comment.
Clinton should not have pardoned Rich which he later admitted. Much as Trump should not give cover for the Saudi prince or the corrupt Netanyuha regime. And it is only fair to add that Israeli was a big protector of Rich and his protection had international political involvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies