Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 03:09 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times

Advertisements

I say this because throughout all of our lifetimes America has always been the dominant most powerful nation. Since the end of the Spanish American war in 1898.

I feel like what makes the founding fathers of this nation, and their guidelines on establishing this nation so great is the humbleness in their texts. It's a humbleness of a new insecure nation that no one could've seen being the dominant superpower in the world. In a time when despite winning a percived un winnable war we had to play by the rules established by the rulling European nation.

I feel that we have lost that humbleness through no fault of our own, but I feel trying to see things that way through kindness, and compassion would help us solve many of our problems.

It seems that we're not willing to listen to each other because our country for over a century has not had to listen to anyone we've been able to do as we please around the world, and I think that mentality has seeped down to the masses. Hence the border wall situation we're in ATM. Could be the wrong forum, but whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 03:44 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I say this because throughout all of our lifetimes America has always been the dominant most powerful nation. Since the end of the Spanish American war in 1898.

I feel like what makes the founding fathers of this nation, and their guidelines on establishing this nation so great is the humbleness in their texts. It's a humbleness of a new insecure nation that no one could've seen being the dominant superpower in the world. In a time when despite winning a percived un winnable war we had to play by the rules established by the rulling European nation.

I feel that we have lost that humbleness through no fault of our own, but I feel trying to see things that way through kindness, and compassion would help us solve many of our problems.

It seems that we're not willing to listen to each other because our country for over a century has not had to listen to anyone we've been able to do as we please around the world, and I think that mentality has seeped down to the masses. Hence the border wall situation we're in ATM. Could be the wrong forum, but whatever.
The so called "border wall" situation is a creation of xenophobes who are afraid of dark skinned people "invading" our country.
I'm sure if we instead shared a border with Sweden and hordes of blonde bikini models were coming over in caravans we wouldn't have a problem.

As for your question Americans are quite spoiled which is okay to a certain degree but the arrogance is not.
When I hear people chant "America is #1" I think number one at what?
Certainly not healthcare or education compared to the rest of the world when at a time in our history these issues would be a priority.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:32 AM

30,374 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:

I've worked and lived in many nations around the world and yes, Americans are very spoiled as a rule. We have it much easier than most of the world. That will change if we don't enforce our border laws and allow anyone including terrorists and murderers to just come in.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:53 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
The so called "border wall" situation is a creation of xenophobes who are afraid of dark skinned people "invading" our country.
I'm sure if we instead shared a border with Sweden and hordes of blonde bikini models were coming over in caravans we wouldn't have a problem.

As for your question Americans are quite spoiled which is okay to a certain degree but the arrogance is not.
Certainly not healthcare or education compared to the rest of the world when at a time in our history these issues would be a priority.

(sigh) Here we go with the "if you support a wall you're a racist" bit again. There's not even enough time to go into particulars about that however it couldn't be more wrong. That is just an emotion based position and thus doesn't make the cut. If stopping or at least seriously slowing the flood of illegal and resource draining "immigration" from Mexico and Central America is "racist and xenophobic" what is the alternative? Just letting them keep on flooding in and handing them assistance from our own resource supply intended for actual citizens?

Skin tone has nothing to do with it. Seeing these caravans marching to or border and demanding entrance to our country while flying the national colors of where they came from speaks loudly as to their real intentions for coming here. Supposedly the nations these flags they're flying represent are oppressive and just plain s***** places they are fleeing so as to come here to the US for a better life. OK, fine. But if that's the true desire they need to get here legally and be serious about American citizenship. Their skin tone doesn't matter. However their apparent loyalty to their nation of origin does.

It seems they want to come here and plant Mexican, Honduran, El Salvadoran, Nicaraguan and Guatamalan flags. Not become American citizens with first loyalty to the US. Your position in the quoted post might provoke emotionally based reactions and support from some folks but that dog won't hunt with me and a great many others as well. The actual facts just don't support that position.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:09 AM

14,229 posts, read 4,596,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

I guess the Mexicans in Tijuana are racists against other dark skinned people, too.

Right?

Old 01-05-2019, 09:19 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:

Very well said.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:21 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Yes, we are spoiled. And many are very insulated, surrounded only by those who look and act the way they do. The idea of someone else doing things differently is scary to those people. And that makes it very hard for them to have compassion for those not in their circles. I don’t think that is an American-only thing, by the way.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:25 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:

The people screaming the most and the head of the SJW virus, are spoiled Rich kids that daddy cut off from their allowance.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:31 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
When I read the other day that even Audi is no longer selling manual transmissions in the US starting with the 2019 model year, that proved to me beyond any reasonable doubt that Americans are getting soft. I mean, if not even Audi can sell many manual transmissions anymore, then who can? Americans are increasingly smothering themselves in these huge, overdone houses with 3-car garages, and driving around in these mega huge SUV's and pickups that distance themselves from the road as much as possible. They are surrounding themselves with everything big that does everything for them (that is, they don't even want to shift the gears on their car!) because they've gotten too lazy to do anything themselves.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:33 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've worked and lived in many nations around the world and yes, Americans are very spoiled as a rule. We have it much easier than most of the world. That will change if we don't enforce our border laws and allow anyone including terrorists and murderers to just come in.
Then you should hope that we *don't* enforce our border laws if you want Americans to become less spoiled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies