Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 12:43 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Please show me the post where anyone says it did? The majority of posts I am seeing in response to your premise is that while blacks were brought into this country under bad circumstances, NOW they have no one to blame for their bad circumstances but themselves.

I also don't understand why we aren't discussing how black activists (Jesse Jackson comes to mind) prey on the black community for their own benefit. Shouldn't the leaders in the black community be working to solve these problems instead of enriching themselves?

Look...you and I both know that NOBODY wants to see themselves as a racist or want others to think they are racist. Consequently, people are carefully about what they explicitly say. Hence, its implicit. Rejecting external causation is saying that its INTERNAL causation. You don't have to explicitly say that you think the light is on, you arguing against the proposition that it is off is the same thing, except its implicit.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:46 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Sometimes a teacher has to teach down to the level of the least smartest kids....so that everyone can "Get It". Hence, I added that for the "slower" students in the audience.
Sometimes it's better just to admit you're wrong and get it behind you that to hide behind some snide, sniveling snark.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Sometimes it's better just to admit you're wrong and get it behind you that to hide behind some snide, sniveling snark.

That is what I was going to tell you.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:24 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
In summary, after reading many peoples opinions, I think I figured out what many white folks want to happen. What they want is a change in the official definition of racism so that its excludes their reasoning from fitting the definition. I have noticed that regardless of how much they infer or imply racial inferiority of blacks.....they do not see that as racism. I think the only thing they see as racism is to hate black people and if they do not hate black people, they do not understand why they are being called racist. Their opinions are largely based upon statistics...and to them, statistics can't be racist. Maybe not....but what shaped the statistic might be.
What shaped blacks to become sex offenders at a rate twice as whites?
https://www.albany.edu/news/69837.php

Old 01-14-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post

I am sure you think its something internal....to the nature of being black. That is my point.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:48 PM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:

Old 01-14-2019, 02:08 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Those who see to deny the historical impacts on what is being discussed, choose selective denial.... for what ever the many reasons they conjure up..

None of it removes the truths from the spectrum and its variables which history has massively recorded.

I think some of these people just want to get a 'drama rise" out of those who want to discuss the investigation and relations of historical facts to what is being dealt with today, this is especially evident in those who want to deny, discount and discredit the relevancy of historical facts and acts.

It's likely best not to buy into their deflection, diversion and deny games they conjure to feed their want and need for a "drama spin".

Most who speak and explore with eyes to reality, know whom the individuals are what will "always put up a denial agenda", and it is also know whom are those who can't face the thought that "white nationalism" will not continue to dominate and damage America's future.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:10 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Quote:
You had better look at history and you will know who has been the greatest and most widely saturated sex offender on American soil.
Hint: They are not black.... !!! Therefore, you can figure out the rest if you can face the REAL TRUTH.

You just as well try another angle of your attempt at "deflection and diversions".... It ain't working here....

Old 01-14-2019, 02:47 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'll further note to Grlzrl that slavery as a cultural tradition in America had a negative impact on the white population as well. I personally think that that portion of our nation's history, especially at the high school and college level, should be taught/reviewed more thoroughly.

This subject - the effect of slavery and the psychology/sociology of "whiteness" from an historic perspective is a subject that many people online in particular seem to have an issue with. That slavery should not be taught from the effect it had on whites and their mindsets about race.

Interestingly in the 19th century, this was discussed a LOT by white anti-slavery activists - about how keeping the system of slavery in place was a moral detriment to the white population because it encouraged negative behavior and cultural customs of the white population. This sort of topic is rarely studied today or even discussed in K-12 education in particular (I have a high schooler and an elementary aged child BTW - slavery is primarily discussed in regards to what black people went through and rarely, if ever - I've never seen it in my children's books/lessons, discussed/taught from the impact it had on white society as a whole in America).

This topic is one of those that it seems bothers a lot of people. But it is a valid perspective that I do feel would provide more insight into how slavery, Jim Crow, and overt oppression of blacks in America until the 1970s-1980s was in many ways damaging as well to the psyches of white Americans. This is a subject IMO that should be more thoroughly reviewed and discussed amongst white people in this country. It includes the reference to "guilt" that you mentioned. Studying "white guilt" would be an interesting sociological review/lesson as well for young people instead of keeping the tradition in white America that you should only focus on black people and what you think of us and how you are "sick of hearing" about the history of nation when it comes to race.

Discussing the effects of this history on you, would be healing IMO. I do feel that that is a reason as well why black people are often more open to discussing race. We had to for many years as a demographic, via our black leaders, be on the offensive and early on in American history, blacks wrote/authored/studied our demographic and appealed to whites to see what they felt was 'the truth' in that racism did exist and it had an impact and that impact is ABC. Many whites did acknowledge this in the early 1900s in particular, which is why the Civil Rights Movement (which began really after Reconstruction) finally began to gain ground in America. But that acknowledgment was often hushed up and just ignored because of the "guilt." This in my personal view is one of the reasons why so many of you have issues with discussing both race and history and you feel "guilty." You really need to review why you feel guilty and look at reality if you want to do so (if you don't that's fine with me BTW as I am not a guilty feeling person nor do I have any hangups on history) and move past it. Not speaking about slavery is not going to negate your guilt. Someone will bring it up in media or in regular conversation and then it will rear its ugly head in your and your children's lives again. You should thoroughly study that guilty feeling and be able to have an honest, realistic discussion about race and history without having any sort of emotional turmoil. Once that is the case, you will move on.
This is interesting. Why should I feel guilt? Merely because I am the same race as people who owned slaves 200 years ago? I havent profited from slavery and have no inheritances from a family that did. I have never denied a black person unemployment or housing and never owned a slave.
Outside of whites who may come from old southern wealth, why should we feel guilt? We didnt do anything to anyone.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:56 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
You had better look at history and you will know who has been the greatest and most widely saturated sex offender on American soil.
Hint: They are not black.... !!! Therefore, you can figure out the rest if you can face the REAL TRUTH.

You just as well try another angle of your attempt at "deflection and diversions".... It ain't working here....
If you have a source that contradicts the one posted please furnish it. That one said black men are registered sex offenders at twice the rate of whites. Three times in 9 states.

What do you mean look at history. Is this where you bring up events of 200 years ago as if it has relevance toward people alive today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies