Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:43 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I think Ms. OC's use of "semantically correct" here is semantically correct. The problem is with the actual thought she is expressing, that getting the facts right doesn't matter much and being on side of some subjectively decided "good" is what counts.
Which somehow makes the OP's complaint about the form she used - and not the content - doubly ironic.

And you're right, it's a silly complaint of her to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 05:46 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I'm loving how the Trumpees are all shook up over the new crop of Democrats coming into office, most of them very young and a lot of them women. We never mention them, but the Right can't stop obsessing over them and trying to find every little flaw they can dig up.

It is so nice to see some younger blood coming into politics, I am so tired of seeing only old, white faces (that never smile) any time they are on TV. Trump has to be going bonkers !!
Except this dolt has the intellect of a 15-year old. She'll do you no good. Wake up.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:50 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
I never heard this newspeak before today.
Well, like when Trump said Mexico was going to write a check. If they DID, that would be semantically correct.

"usage of elements means that you use them for what they are meant to be used for"

I guess one could call it the opposite of Drumps 3rd grade use of a limited vocab to mean EVERYTHING.

"Everything" in that sense is not really semantically correct, but in trying to explain our language to some we can't be too fancy.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Except this dolt has the intellect of a 15-year old. She'll do you no good. Wake up.
Now this may be true - but an AP 15 year old is WAY above the comparison.....

My 9 year old has a much better vocab than the Orange One and expresses ideas in a clearer fashion. She lies less and actually has manners.

Things can only be seen in perspective. SpaceX is not going to hire any of our pols for an engineering position.

That fact that certain people wouldn't point this out - is fantastic. How many thread did Trumpies here start noticing "Donald Trump—who boasted over the weekend that his success in life was a result of “being, like, really smart”—communicates at the lowest grade level of the last 15 presidents, according to a new analysis of the speech patterns of presidents going back to Herbert Hoover."???

Hoover, BTW, was the Republican largely responsible for the Great Depression...so there is that. But he had some similarities:
"Hoover championed a “lily-white southern strategy” helped by bipartisan widespread anti-Catholicism against Democrat Al Smith."

Old 01-11-2019, 05:56 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,391,611 times
I know what semantics are; wall; fence; barrier, etc., but I never heard the term "semantically correct" used by Sandy Occasional Cortex. Thanks for the replies.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:58 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Quote:
I know what semantics are; wall; fence; barrier, etc., but I never heard the term "semantically correct" used by Sandy Occasional Cortex. Thanks for the replies.
What? Lol

Old 01-11-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Do you have a particular fascination with one out of many 100's of Congress Critters? One who happens to be a young woman?

Are you as critical of the other 300+?? Or is there some kind of a fixation here?

Old 01-11-2019, 06:00 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,391,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
What? Lol
What do you not understand?

Old 01-11-2019, 06:02 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
It means covefefe.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Are these proper semantics:

“As horrible as it sounds, when they throw the large sacks of drugs over, and if you have people on the other side of the wall, you don’t see them—they hit you on the head with 60 pounds of stuff? It’s over,” he added. “As crazy as that sounds, you need transparency through that wall"

You know, that does sound CRAZY...so the POTUS may just be semantically correct....except the SUBJECT (drugs falling on your head) is not semantically correct....it's he that seems crazy. So I guess he is not semantically correct after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies