Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you read/watch media you disagree with?
Yes. I'm a conservative and I watch CNN and read NYT, etc. 11 50.00%
Yes. I'm a liberal and I watch Fox and read Breitbart, etc. 7 31.82%
No. I'm a conservative and I only watch Fox and read Breitbart, etc. 2 9.09%
No. I'm a liberal and I only watch CNN and read NYT, etc. 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 10:06 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times

Advertisements

I’m a liberal and I read Fox sometimes. I don’t read Breitbart or The Drudge because that would be like reading Kos or Mother Jones and thinking its “news.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 10:17 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Unfortunately, its all agenda driven these days. I watch Fox and CNN about equally, keeping in mind it is all agenda driven, but the MORE agenda driven it is, the more it turns me off. For example, I cant stomach either Don Lemon or Hannity. I tend to watch the programs that at least show SOME sort of opposing views, as weak as they usually are.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:29 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
As the years passed (in professional research), I saw that truth increasingly got buried under layers of opinion, propaganda and 'agenda spin.' If I'm really interested in a particular storyline, I'll check-out multiple sources and perspectives ... and then apply common sense and critical thinking to isolate key facts.

Otherwise, I've grown weary and irritated by the editorial blathering of the talking heads that passes for 'news.' Empty-suit politicians that repeat the party line in lock-step ... as though each side shared it's own single, monolithic mind, are equally untrustworthy. Public opinion on social media generally only parrots the 'story' one is buying into.

With today's glitz, theater and advertising, it's difficult to really know what is going on, except through the lessons of history and a knowledge of human nature. Those who slavishly chant that one side or another has the whole and real truth, have most often been deceived by the 'pretty pictures on the package.'

Last edited by jghorton; 01-11-2019 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times
I consider myself in the middle so I didn't vote in the poll (no option for me). Besides, I also don't watch or read any of the stuff listed for the most part. Mainly because I don't have cable and I only reliably get one TV station (ABC). Mostly I listen to the news on the radio, local radio station. I sometimes watch the local ABC new cast and later the national ABC news in the evening.

When I visit my mom, I watch CNN with her and they inject their opinion and speculation so much. I don't like it.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:34 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I'm a liberal and don't watch TV. I don't read fiction either.

I read history and memoirs.

Of course, these things would be on such a poll since it seems limited to the minority that looks for confirmation of their bias.

A person doesn't get "another view" by watching Fox or reading Breitbart or even watching certain MSNBC shows. Rather they listen to streams of consciousness which confirm to them that they are correct in all matter.

I'd be very surprised to find large percentages of the Right who do not consume propaganda. They exist but certainly not the majority.
you are probably right, but you are imagining a work of fiction if you don't think it goes both ways

Old 01-11-2019, 10:37 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I’m a liberal and I read Fox sometimes. I don’t read Breitbart or The Drudge because that would be like reading Kos or Mother Jones and thinking its “news.”
breitbart and drudge aren't same. drudge is a link aggregator. it doesn't really have its own content. so really an invalid comp.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:38 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Do you watch media you disagree with, or do you only want your own opinion validated? Do you like to keep an eye on the "opposition"?

There will be a poll (in case someone reads this before it's up).

Only special occasions.
November 2016, was awesome to watch the Activist Media.
Goursuch and Especially Kavanaugh were entertaining and comical.
Who could forget 4 months of Flight 306 coverage(or whatever flight number it was)

Old 01-11-2019, 10:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Alex Jones went after Clinton, when they went sideways.
Alex Jones went after Bush, when they went sideways.
Alex Jones went after Obama, when they went sideways.
Alex Jones has gone after Trump, when he has gone sideways.

The Activist Media, has been running a game on the people that rely on them to be truthful, instead of opinionated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies