Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 06:07 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
......and I present you the Toxic FEmale........
LMAO - is everyone who points out flaws in your arguments "toxic"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 07:52 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LMAO - is everyone who points out flaws in your arguments "toxic"?
Rather than counter the point, you went for the insult - so, yeah - toxic is an apt description.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:40 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
Quote:
No doubt Gilette is quaking in its corporate boots.
Prob'ly not. Still, I'm pretty sure you would be angry if a tampon company, say Kotex, said, "Plug that nasty vaj". You might be tempted to say the same thing I did only substitute the brand names Gilette and Shick with, Kotex and Maxi or whatever...

Any woman would be right to be mad at that but, men are messed up if we get upset that masculinity is called toxic?

Insulting your own customers is, well insulting of course and, tactically stupid.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:09 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post

Insulting your own customers is, well insulting of course and, tactically stupid.
Insulting people in to buying your product. A novel approach indeed. lol

Old 01-28-2019, 11:42 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
MY issue is with a company that professes to want my business to have the audacity to preach at me (or anyone else) what THEY think "my" values/lifestyle should look like.
Quote:

Not familiar with advertising tactics much, are you?
Quote:
......and I present you the Toxic FEmale........

Thanks for making my point.
You made no point. Ohio was correct. The whole point of advertising is exactly what you're complaining about...telling people how their lifestyle should look like. That's how they make money. It's pretty simple.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:45 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
No one who saw the new Gillette ad “The Best Men Can Be” thought it would be universally embraced. It establishes the state of masculinity today with various scenes of men acting sexist, boys physically and mentally terrorizing each other, and dads accepting a “Boys will be boys” mentality, before dramatically pivoting.

Much of the criticism of the ad has revolved around the company’s motives. Yet Gillette/P&G can have financial incentives and still make an ad worth lauding. These two things are not mutually exclusive.

IMO this ad is a step in the right direction, because the more we collectively hear the message that sexual harassment is unacceptable, that bullying is wrong, and that helping victims is noble, the more this message will shape our—and our children’s—everyday choices. We need to get messages like this from our leaders, teachers, parents—and from television shows, movies, books, songs, and advertisements. Cultural shifts happen when every aspect of culture embraces and normalizes a change.

Some do not think we need the message. But I disagree. We do. The centerpiece of this ad isn’t grown men; it’s kids. The ad climaxes with footage of sweet-faced children and the lesson “The boys watching today will be the men of tomorrow.” Gillette’s argument is that we need to be careful with the choices we make as adults because children learn decency and morality from us.

When the message that we should try and raise compassionate children offends a large swath of America, there is a sickness spreading that we desperately need to cure.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 01-28-2019 at 12:11 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You made no point. Ohio was correct. The whole point of advertising is exactly what you're complaining about...telling people how their lifestyle should look like. That's how they make money. It's pretty simple.
No - what it should be doing is telling/showing me how my life will be bettered because I use their product. I don't go to church to learn how to drink beer, nor do I expect schools to teach me how to dress properly.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
No one who saw the new Gillette ad “The Best Men Can Be” thought it would be universally embraced. It establishes the state of masculinity today with various scenes of men acting sexist, boys physically and mentally terrorizing each other, and dads accepting a “Boys will be boys” mentality, before dramatically pivoting.
YOUR vision of "manhood" is apparently quite different than mine.....and that of many other men. NO man worth his salt assaults women or harms a child - period. And yes - boys WILL be boys....to an extent. They're going to climb trees (and fall out of them), jump from roofs (to a limit), and do other foolish things - NOT immoral or illegal things. And yes - they might even <gasp> try to steal a kiss from a cute girl. That's worlds apart from assaulting a girl - and in MY world, MY boys were taught to respect and value females of ALL ages, to say "ma'am" and "sir", to hold doors open for ladies and the elderly and to lead a respectful life.

I've got a newsflash for you.....those that do otherwise won't be impacted in the least by the Gillette ad. I think they could have gone much farther by celebrating those treating others properly.

Quote:
Much of the criticism of the ad has revolved around the company’s motives. Yet Gillette/P&G can have financial incentives and still make an ad worth lauding. These two things are not mutually exclusive.
Yes, they CAN - but in this case they didn't, IMO.

Quote:
IMO this ad is a step in the right direction, because the more we collectively hear the message that sexual harassment is unacceptable, that bullying is wrong, and that helping victims is noble, the more this message will shape our—and our children’s—everyday choices. We need to get messages like this from our leaders, teachers, parents—and from television shows, movies, books, songs, and advertisements. Cultural shifts happen when every aspect of culture embraces and normalizes a change.
Again - are we not told that the best way to effect a change is through positive reinforcement? That by emphasizing the GOOD of men, you show the way they can best be men? Rather than tell what's bad, why not show what's right? It allows a father or mother to point to the screen and tell their sons "THAT's how you do XYZ properly! Unless, of course, the underlying intent is to paint most males as jerks.

Quote:
[/b]The ad climaxes with footage of sweet-faced children and the lesson “The boys watching today will be the men of tomorrow.” Gillette’s argument is that we need to be careful with the choices we make as adults because children learn decency and morality from us.
Problem being, if you alienate those you most want to reach in the beginning, they're not going to stick around for the rest of it.

[/quote] When the message that we should try and raise compassionate children offends a large swath of America, there is a sickness spreading that we desperately need to cure.[/quote]

And I'll counter as I did in the beginning - I don't need or want some corporate giant attempting to teach me how to "be a man". The reminder of the kids watching the adults? I raised my kids knowing that - because MY father taught me that, just as I taught my kids.

Believe it or not, most decent men out there still live by a code of decency - one that finds such childishness as abuse of a weaker person abhorrent and unacceptable. Unfortunately, there ARE bullies out there - have been since the dawn of time. Much as you may want to erase it, you can't - what you CAN do is reinforce why it's good to shun those who do such things.

Again - positive reinforcement rather than negative stereotyping.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:51 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:

[/b]
None of those things have ever been acceptable to my knowledge, its been the collective message for at least the 40 years I have been alive. Trying to stop bullying, treating a girl with respect, and jumping into help victims, are far more the attributes of traditional masculinity, something which modern society seems to have taken a negative view on.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:11 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/p-g-cha...ad-11547467200

Coming soon from P&G, a new line of tampons for woke men.

Oh no, please don't touch those sacred things.

We still need to see the ad of those coming, about the girls being the best they can be, since they too will grow into tomorrow's women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPkaHKHPOhs

https://ktla.com/2016/05/09/3-girls-...hool-bathroom/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies