Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 05:29 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times

Advertisements

busy hands can help with that. Teachers/parents have been telling kids how special they are since the 80's. Poor kids get out in the real world and find they're not special at all. A real disservice to America's youth. Eventually they find out.

They're special -- like everybody else. And it's crushing for their tender egos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 05:35 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Shouldn't I get a Participation Trophy for making this post?

Old 01-21-2019, 05:55 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
Some People seem to try and make measure of people based on things that are material or monetary far too much.

It's sad that some of society is wrapped into such vain manners of measuring others and sometimes themselves too.

The old delusion of "this Royalty Complex' has been a damaging element in not just America but other locations over a very long time in the sphere of human existence. They (some people) see and have view of the materialism as if having it will make them part of some Royal Court....
They know nothing of what is the principles of Royalty, they think it to be about "wealth and fancy things" as if to think acquiring wealth and fancy things will infer some status parallel to royalty.

But.. truth is, they (some people) fail to realize the element of Responsibility of what is the History of Royalty and why it exist...

It was the protection of the land, the people and the community, which was called "The Kingdom"; and to do so required resources; people supported that by gifts and treasures of many sorts, taxation and it included the making and fitting them with fine clothing, and accouterments of comfort, as in demonstration and representation of what the skills and craftsmanship of the people could create. All such things were "representative to show and present what a civil people in a civic community of the kingdom could and did produce. That in turn, was as much a deterrent against others invading and attacking, because the imagery conveyed the presence of resources, which means they could afford to defend themselves and their kingdom. These things had meaning far and beyond plain and vile "vanity".. They were symbolic.

The real job of the Royals, was the responsibility of and for the kingdom they presided over. The example they stood for was not about the "finery of their clothing" or the "volume of jewelry" or the size of their Castle. It as about their dignity in setting a standard of decency in how they accord themselves in caring for the Kingdom, it was about the Integrity they upheld to see their duties were done and that it benefitted the kingdom and the people. The symbols of wealth, was a basic assurance they had the resources to continue and sustain their responsibility, while promoting policy, governance and infrastructure and a guard against intruders and invaders.

Sadly, some bad characters found their ways into the Royal Court and Roles and vanity consume them and they abused the people, the kingdom and became themselves invaders of others.

This vague delusion of "Every Man A King, and His Home a Castle"... has made people crazy for a long time, with every level and spectrum of vainity, gluttony, and pursuits of slothfulness, and such things... until people lost the ability to love, by forsaking it to make material measure of and about others, before they could even acknowledge one another as human beings, individual, and person.

Every person has their uniqueness because they are an individual human being. It needs not meet some external script of measurement.

Maybe people should take a moment to look in the eyes of the homeless or the destitute, or into the struggling family or the child with challenges or the child with dreams and ideas. They might see something that is of a unique nature of reality of life.
If one truly look at the communities of the homeless, they create community even in the squalor they may call their place of home space. Many times beyond all their challenges, they look out for each other, it matters in their community if one of them goes missing, or is injured as well as how they find ways to help each other, even if its nothing more than making associative relations to one degree or the other with and among each other.

Some of who have a life of comfort and material and monetary means, can be far less humane toward others, and never know the sense of community that people in homeless communities build and live among and with each other.

Vanity, Pride, Haughtiness, Greed, and the extremes which become Avarice, is its own prison, it has been seen and know to imprison the soul of a great many people. It can strip them of compassion and make their lives void of love for the sake of loving and drive them to many levels and degrees of inhumane conduct.... to the depth of incivility.

Vanity, Pride, Haughtiness, Greed, and the extremes which become Avarice can make one into a Savage, even while wearing a Silk Suit and draped in diamonds and pearls, with pockets full of money and gold tips on their boots.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 01-21-2019 at 07:04 AM..

Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
You can never know just how 'special' anyone is. One small act by an unknown person can ripple through time for eternity.

I know its fictional but remember Forrest Gump? He calls the front desk of the Watergate hotel when he sees men rummaging through a room in the middle of the night.

I know in my own life, I have done and made trivial choices that affected other people and their lives were changed.

I am descended from people that made thousands of choices in their lives. Anyone of which resulted in me being born. I like to think that as a Nurse and Paramedic, I have done things that changed other peoples lives for the better. We all have the capability to do small things, a donation to the Red Cross for example, that may seem trivial but make us special in ways we will never know.

Saying that most of us will 'never amount to anything' is far from the truth. Everyone's life has value.
That was beautifully said. Thank you.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:53 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
What a unique and special thread you started.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:29 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
busy hands can help with that. Teachers/parents have been telling kids how special they are since the 80's. Poor kids get out in the real world and find they're not special at all. A real disservice to America's youth. Eventually they find out.

They're special -- like everybody else. And it's crushing for their tender egos.
Nice meme movie bro.

Pity it doesn't stand the litmus test of reality. Most younger people entering society are very well aware of their standing within it long before they outgrow their short pants, especially the "poor" kids.

It's those "poor" kids in today's American society that have had their noses rubbed in "reality" at every chance the richer kids could find to enact their privileged advantages. Your post veritably drips with that very particular type of scorn.

There are no nasty surprises left now. The age of instant communication has seen to that. Stupidity?..... Well that's another thing entirely. If you are aware of reality and choose to ignore it....it's on you and no one else.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:32 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
The honest to god truth is whether you are a Gen Xer, millennial, or Gn Zer, unless you are the rare exception, nothing you do in life will have any significance, yet they have been told practically their entire lives that their very existence is significant when in reality, very few of them will ever have any significance in history. Really harsh I know, but it doesn't make it any less truthful.
And making this point makes you some kind of f-ing genius or something?

Old 01-21-2019, 07:34 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
The OP sounds bitter. Perhaps he never had anyone ever tell him he is special to them. That's kind of sad.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:44 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
You can never know just how 'special' anyone is. One small act by an unknown person can ripple through time for eternity.

I know its fictional but remember Forrest Gump? He calls the front desk of the Watergate hotel when he sees men rummaging through a room in the middle of the night.

I know in my own life, I have done and made trivial choices that affected other people and their lives were changed.

I am descended from people that made thousands of choices in their lives. Anyone of which resulted in me being born. I like to think that as a Nurse and Paramedic, I have done things that changed other peoples lives for the better. We all have the capability to do small things, a donation to the Red Cross for example, that may seem trivial but make us special in ways we will never know.

Saying that most of us will 'never amount to anything' is far from the truth. Everyone's life has value.
I was thinking more of the TV show "Quantum Leap". For the overwhelming majority of the show, the events that Sam was looking to put right weren't major world wide events featuring famous people--he was leaping into the lives of the ordinary people. As Al the Bartender told Sam in the very last episode, the lives that Sam changed went on to change the lives of others--the ripple effect. Maybe you yourself doesn't do anything outstanding or incredible, but maybe you're the random woman who walked down the street and inspired Roy Orbison to write a song. Or maybe you're just some unknown prop guy who came up with a communications device for an old sci-fi TV show back in the 60's that inspired technical people to come up with the cell phone. Maybe you're the person who gives a severely depressed person a random compliment that helps them make it through one more day, and maybe that one more day convinces them to seek treatment.

It isn't just about what *you* do. It can also involve what you inspire *others* to do.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:46 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
We are all just slaves to the machine. Of importance only to those who know and love us. Born, school, work, marriage, retire, die. None of us get out of this alive......

A few are special, and make a mark on the world. Just a few. Most of us just live our lives in quiet desperation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies