Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 12:46 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered why in hospitals doctors and nurses customer service skills aren't monitored or recorded for quality assurance purposes.

On many review sites it seems like nurses and doctors are allowed to have less then impeccable customer service skills.

In the past when I worked in call-centers I know people had 3 chances to have good customer scores. Doctors and Nurses should be same, if they don't provide the best and most friendly customer service they shouldn't be working in health care customer service making big paychecks mainly from government deficit spending and high taxes.

I have read on different review sites that some nurses and doctors are rude. They should monitor and record their social interactions with patients by an outside auditor and terminate their employment for bad customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 01:00 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
I do not care about the social skills of any medical person. All that counts is professional skills.

That being said, hospitals do ask patients to give feedback on their experience in the hospital. The feds require it.

This is one of the big survey producers.

About the Press Ganey Survey

Note that the top three domains are about communication with doctors and nurses and responsiveness of staff.

Unintended consequences of mandating that patients be "satisfied":

https://www.medpagetoday.com/emergen...medicine/48857

Yes, doctors have been fired for performing poorly on patient satisfaction surveys.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:15 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I do not care about the social skills of any medical person. All that counts is professional skills.

That being said, hospitals do ask patients to give feedback on their experience in the hospital. The feds require it.

This is one of the big survey producers.

About the Press Ganey Survey

Note that the top three domains are about communication with doctors and nurses and responsiveness of staff.

Unintended consequences of mandating that patients be "satisfied":

https://www.medpagetoday.com/emergen...medicine/48857

Yes, doctors have been fired for performing poorly on patient satisfaction surveys.
Good, they shouldn't work in the medical field if they don't have good scores by satisfaction surveys. There duty is to good communication and impeccable professional skills.

Nurses and doctors should be fired if they rate poorly on satisfaction surveys.

After all, if there social skills are bad patients are not going to tell them about their medical issues.

If they went to school for a decade or more, they should have first-class communication skills and if they don't they should be terminated from their jobs.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:27 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Good, they shouldn't work in the medical field if they don't have good scores by satisfaction surveys. There duty is to good communication and impeccable professional skills.

After all, if there social skills are bad patients are not going to tell them about their medical issues.

If they went to school for a decade or more, they should have first-class communication skills and if they don't they should be terminated from their jobs.
So the finest surgeon in the world should be fired if he is a jerk?

Old 01-16-2019, 01:32 AM

334 posts, read 227,015 times
Ummmm. No. Just No.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:56 AM

19,832 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Swing and a miss.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:00 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
They are.

Patients fill out satisfaction questionnaires when they leave the hospital. Medicare reimbursements is partially calculated on the results of these surveys. There are also independent web sites where customers rank and grade all kinds of services, including medical doctors.

Everyone's opinion differs but personally, if I know a doctor is one of the best in his field, I can be more forgiving if his bed side manner is a bit lacking.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:05 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

There is a little problem here:

1. While there is an infinite number of call center employees available, there is a physician shortage.

2. If one fires a physician, sometimes they are very hard to replace. Try hiring a neurosurgeon- starting offers at $1 million, nearly every hospital system around the country has an opening for a neurosurgeon.

3. The customer is always right- the patient is not always right. Sometimes physicians have to make reccommendations that patients do not like, thus they get angry. As a physician, you are obligated to give the best medical advice, which is not always what the patient wants.

4. When talking with a doc, you may be talking to someone who has been up for 24 hours or has just completed a long, stressful surgery/trauma case.

5. I always try to be nice to patients. However, patients do not have the right to insult staff or create a disturbance in a clinic. Simply because they are there for healthcare does not give them the right to act like an ass- the nurses are human beings as well. I really don't care if a patient "goes off" on me, but leave the staff alone.

6. Patient ratings are many times a poor reflection of quality. Patients will rate a "nice" physician very highly, regardless of competence. In my field, a physician who had his license revoked for malpractice always had "five out of five star" ratings by patients.

The best neurosurgeon in our state gets 1.8 out of five star ratings. The problem (despite being very good and very nice) is that he is very frank and tells it like it is. Would it be right to fire him?

Old 01-16-2019, 06:05 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
This past fall, I had major surgery and was in the hospital for almost two weeks. EVERYONE, from the nurses aids to the nurses to the Doctors were superb in every respect. They could have not been kinder, or more professional, or accommodating. This was at HealthPark, here in Ft Myers. Every follow up visit I have had has been with staff and Doctors who took all the time I needed, and who were genuinely concerned about my well being.

I could not have been more pleased with the care and attention I was given.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:08 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
We already are highly monitored by those surveys, but believe it or not being sugary-sweet is not always as important as saving your life. FYI, recording health care interactions is illegal due to HIPPA laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies