Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 07:55 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,432,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't even like Chris Cillizza but he's right on this one

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/25/polit...iew/index.html

Nancy Pelosi, or as Trump likes to call her, "Nancy", has him thoroughly cowed. She bested him about the SOTU, and now she's bested him about the Shutdown. And it took 3 weeks. That's it.

Yes, yes, he's threatening to shutdown the government again, but he's seen the poll numbers on that. And he will bear sole responsibility AGAIN if he does it again. And he's threatening to declare an emergency. But even if that was legally tenable (and most likely isn't and will end up in court for an extended period of time to figure it out), it's definitely not politically tenable. Congressional GOPers don't really want to cede that much power to a GOP president and they sure as hell don't want a Democratic president to be able to rely on this precedent to push through Democratic pet projects.

So politically, he's pretty much dead in the water. They will negotiate something that doesn't include a wall the way that normal people define it, but Trump will call it a wall and declare a victory and his sycophants will swallow it no matter how much it smells.

And Nancy Pelosi will continue to rule Washington DC.
Cartel money well spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 07:59 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
Pelosi and the Democrats are the real deal. They demonstrated that real power comes from standing together to oppose bullies.
If by "real deal" you mean supporting de facto open borders so her party can get more votes, then yeah.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:00 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I question the sanity of people who put a woman with obvious senior dementia in charge of the house.
Obviously she's smarter than the doddering reality show star that's currently POTUS.

That said, credit for ending the shutdown can't be given strictly to Nancy.

Credit should be given to those federal employees who were calling in sick and causing flight delays and cancellations on Friday. It was they that really got the government reopened.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:14 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Yet there were those democrats who broke ranks with Pelosi.
Realizing they really weren't elected just to obstruct Trump but produce results too. They promise to work for a solution and that is a compromise that can satisfy legislation signed into to law. Something some democrats say they are willing to do. All they need was 3 weeks they said. Some are mistaken and some are lying as always but the question remains. Can they do in 3 weeks what they couldn't do in 3 decades ? What are the odds on that ?
Democrats who voted for GOP proposal
West Virginia Joe Manchin

Republicans who voted for Democratic proposal
Tennessee Lamar Alexander
Maine Susan Collins
Colorado Cory Gardner
Georgia Johnny Isakson
Alaska Lisa Murkowski
Utah. Mitt Romney

Republicans who voted against GOP proposal
Arkansas Tom Cotton
Utah Mike Lee

Pelosy + 8

Trump + 1

I'm not sure what you're talking about in 3 decades? Are you talking about stopping illegal immigration? If you are then ask yourself this. Why hasn't it been stopped in decades by the politicians? Follow the money.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:25 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I can see you through the screen rubbing your hands hoping he will vote Democrat.
Of course, I’d be pleased if he did.

But I’d settle for him voting for a non-sleazy R.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette0009 View Post
Nancy doesn't know what decade she's in
Yet even conservative pundits are saying she out-played Trump. So what does that make him?

Old 01-26-2019, 05:32 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
You speak as if this were a game and only Trump lost. We the people were held hostage by both Pelosi and Trump while they had their C*&k measuring contest at the peoples expense.

The left cries the wall is a waste. Yeah where were those cries as Obama doubled our debt to include a 40 million dollar gas station in Afghanistan? How about Obama's 1 trillion dollar F-35? What about 2 billion+ for the Unaffordable care act web sight?

The left can say they opposed the wall because it was a waste of tax dollars, but their history illustrates the hypocrisy in that. They opposed it because it was Trump's pork.

Pelosi as well as Trump is a national embarrassment. The groupies on both sides empower these prima donnas.
Agree, and it's scary that Trump and Pelosi are the virtue of America. Team sports at it's finest. If anyone really believes either care about Americans and their safety, I have land to sell you South of the Rio Grande.

Two wolves at each other's throats. One naked and one in a sheep costume. I'm not sure which I'd side with, the one I can see coming, or the one I can't. Our political arena needs an overhaul.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:33 PM

8,489 posts, read 6,897,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I question the sanity of people who put a woman with obvious senior dementia in charge of the house.

So in addition to being a Politics and Controversies pundit you're a board certified gerontologist.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:34 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,750,672 times
Nancy Pelosi - the most powerful person in America??????

Not at all. She is only a house representative representing San Francisco Bay area. She is not even a Senator.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:35 PM

24,641 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
They are not even the most powerful. The most powerful are those who control the media, our money and our military industrial complex. I would say that for now, the most powerful are the Rothschilds who own the Federal Reserve bank.

And Pelos is nobody, she is just a puppet for whoever is pulling her strings.
I wouldn't say the Rothschilds are the most powerful, but that's not a bad way to think. I would say we have to include all the other political and financial family dynasties. Koch family, Bush family, Clinton family, Walton family, etc.

https://www.investopedia.com/article...lies-world.asp

But yes, Nancy is a nobody with no power, only a puppet to her donors, supporters, lobbyists, etc. People with true power, don't rely on a government salary... Like Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies