Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:57 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,097,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I disagree. I usually don't have issues with he way people dress, and have defended both Melania and Michelle Obama on these boards. This isn't appropriate for the setting.
Why isn't it? She is well covered. She's not showing any skin she shouldn't be showing. If she was wearing that same dress with heels instead of boots, no one here would be batting an eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 11:00 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,400,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Who cares?
The fashion police care!

Old 01-29-2019, 11:07 AM

18,415 posts, read 19,058,616 times
[quote=swilliamsny;54285805]I disagree. I usually don't have issues with he way people dress, and have defended both Melania and Michelle Obama on these boards. This isn't appropriate for the

Why isn’t it appropriate? Her over the knee boot too sexy and or the tighter fitting dress? When a man takes off his suit jacket we see his shape. As a society we don’t automatically think he’s inappropriate at work because of it, be him fat or not his wardrobe choices are not sexualized. Why are her boots anymore offensive than a man who wears ugly, dress shoes.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:07 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,067,920 times
Sounds like some of you have a thing for boots. Oh my!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2019, 11:09 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,580,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
men still wear ties most places. you don't know what you are talking about.

at 42, her outfit is not appropriate for someone her age even if she was at the bar. its certainly not appropriate or professional for a congresswoman who is on the job.
Still stuck in the ‘50’s, I see.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:11 AM

1,239 posts, read 511,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I know I am a stodgy old women. But whatever happened to business dress? Men have to wear a coat and tie. Some women dress for work like they are going clubbing.

For years women were accused of causing their own assault due to what they had on. I get the backlash. Something has been lost in the translation. Now some women, especially those on cable news shows wear Chantilly lace it 7AM. IDK who dresses the women on MSNBC, but the party clothes are distracting from their comments.

This one has on a summer dress that belongs at home on her very own patio. The dress looks like it was too small so a 6 inch piece of fabric was added to make it bigger. Those boots are ridiculous.

The men should show up in Bermuda shorts and flip flops.
You're really complaining about MSNBC correspondents attire, and ignoring that Fox News is nothing but cleavage, legs, and stupidity?

If there is no required attire on the senate floor, then she can wear whatever she wants.
She doesn't pull it off well, but a dress and thigh high boots aren't exactly revealing.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:13 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,737,815 times
So much pearl-clutching over what a woman none of you know personally is wearing. It must really rile you all up that a little lady is on the Senate floor to begin with rather than in the kitchen making her man a sandwich!

Old 01-29-2019, 11:15 AM

5,077 posts, read 2,287,570 times
[quote=hothulamaui;54285989]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I disagree. I usually don't have issues with he way people dress, and have defended both Melania and Michelle Obama on these boards. This isn't appropriate for the

Why isn’t it appropriate? Her over the knee boot too sexy and or the tighter fitting dress? When a man takes off his suit jacket we see his shape. As a society we don’t automatically think he’s inappropriate at work because of it, be him fat or not his wardrobe choices are not sexualized. Why are her boots anymore offensive than a man who wears ugly, dress shoes.
Combination of things but, basically, showing the upper portion of the thighs isn't appropriate in any professional work setting. It wouldn't matter if she were wearing heels instead. Equally inappropriate would be a man wearing shorts.

Edit: you can still push the sexy envelope, though. A snug-fitting skirt just above the knee and knee high boots gives a completely different look, while still emphasizing femininity and curves. Nearly my entire career has been spent in design. There are ways to push boundaries without crashing through them like the proverbial bull.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:16 AM

5,290 posts, read 6,228,149 times
This is ridiculous. She's not showing any chest, back or shoulders. That dress is maybe 2-3 inches shorter than standard issue and you really don't see any skin because of the boots. I've seen Susan Collins in more fitted/tighter dresses. And Condi Rice already made female politician in boots a thing 12 years ago.

I remember when people were scandalized by Hillary wearing pants on the Senate floor. If you do your job I do not care.

And can someone tell me what street corners you see women in high neckline, beiger dresses holding down? Do the guys drive up an moan 'hey baby, take me to J Crew?'

Old 01-29-2019, 11:17 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,381,001 times
She doesn't want to be objectified or looked at by men like a piece of meat.

Well honey, guess what entered my mind the second I saw the first back shot? I'm hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies