Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 06:35 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I've volunteered to change seats when I've noticed a kid and a parent are separated, but I would never give it up for someone who acted the way the guy did in your encounter. Some people feel so entitled.

John Kasich just poached someone's seat because he was bumped after a pilot needed to get somewhere. Kasich paid the least amount of money for his seat, so he was bumped. What did he do? He found an empty seat and wouldn't move when the legit seat owner said he was sitting in her seat.

Bad behavior seems to be the norm for some people.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options and when flying for work, the airline I fly isn't even in my hands. I'm not going to pay almost twice as much to fly just because the industry is screwed up, but I won't fly unless I get that aisle seat either.
Yeah, under most circumstances I would switch with someone with a kid too. But this situation was different on several levels.

First, I was sitting with my whole family.
Second, they chose to upgrade at the last minute knowing it meant getting 2 separate seats, expecting, no, demanding someone to switch with them when they boarded. If they all stayed in coach, they would have probably been sitting together.
Third, the guy had several other people to ask who may not be traveling with their family.
Fourth, I am pretty sure if he asked the people sitting next to him in coach, they would have gladly switched with the wife and kid in first class.
And fifth, and most importantly, the guy was a Dick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 06:50 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
"traditional southern foods" were often for the slaves, who burned incredible amounts of calories. Even the poor white population (and most whites were very poor) not only did manual labor, but burned up vast amounts of calories just keeping their body temperatures straight (no A/C). There were not drive-through everything's and parking spaces 15 steps from every shop door.

In those olden days millions of Southerners had pellagra...
"Pellagra was first reported in 1902 in the United States, and has "caused more deaths than any other nutrition-related disease in American history", reaching epidemic proportions in the American South during the early 1900s.[30] Poverty and consumption of corn were the most frequently observed risk factors"

Many other diseases related to that diet have been observed over the years....Obesity is just a more current one.

Obesity is obviously largely due to the fact that the vast majority of Americans have sedimentary lifestyles and yet their bodies still crave the same stuff (fats, oils, full stomach) that they did a few generations back.

It's quite complex...in that sense. Recent. A/C was the final nail on the coffin.
It's not complex. You just control what you are eating.
The rule is simple: If it's tasty - don't eat it.

Those fat hippos should not be aloud to fly in regular seats unless they payed for the middle one also.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:55 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Yeah, under most circumstances I would switch with someone with a kid too. But this situation was different on several levels.

First, I was sitting with my whole family.
Second, they chose to upgrade at the last minute knowing it meant getting 2 separate seats, expecting, no, demanding someone to switch with them when they boarded. If they all stayed in coach, they would have probably been sitting together.
Third, the guy had several other people to ask who may not be traveling with their family.
Fourth, I am pretty sure if he asked the people sitting next to him in coach, they would have gladly switched with the wife and kid in first class.
And fifth, and most importantly, the guy was a Dick.
All of the above, but yeah, that last one seals the deal for a big NO from me, too.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:38 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The airline makes the policy. Passenger’s only say is their dollar. If the people next to you are too fat, pay for the upgrade. If you can’t afford the upgrade, shut the hell up and ride it out.

If the insulted lady had gotten up and stomped that witches ears together, she’d be wrong, huh? Wouldn’t be cool, would it?

In the age of Trump, everyone thinks it NOW cool to personally insult people in the zeitgeist of “not gonna be politically correct.†Eventually people are gonna get tired of all this mouthiness and rude behavior, and loudmouth wackjobs are gonna start getting their nipples bitten off because this crap is getting old real fast.

Trump is gonna cause a lotta asses to get kicked if folks don’t pipe down.

If the people next to me are too fat they are the ones who should pay extra. If I pay for a seat I should be entitled to all of it. Just like going to the ice cream store and ordering a banana split. If the fat person sitting in the booth next to you is still hungry after eating their banana split does that mean they are entitled to taking yours away and eating it too even though you paid for it?

Your logic is just messed up.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:50 PM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You are missing the point. Move to a country with thin people if you don’t like being seated next to obese people...when I fly I am braced for the possibility of having to sit squished. It does not necessarily have to be an obese person. A person can be large but not obese. I am 6 ft 185 with very broad shoulders. My shoulders make it a tight fit unless the person next to me is small.
A
There is no country with just thin people. Even in the examples I linked its the really poor people who are really thin. And the countries with the most poor malnourished people are the thinnest. However those people are probably not booking airline tickets. The wealthier people who fly are probably just as likely to be fat as anywhere else.

I am similar sized as you and I can fit in my seat but its not easy. Fortunately I rarely have to fly anymore. The whole experience is so lousy now that unless its across the country I will drive instead.The stress from airline travel probably contributes to outbursts like this woman had.

If someone needs a belt extension they need to upgrade or buy two seats. I think that is fair for everyone. If the obese people do not like it well they could try having some self control and go on a diet.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:58 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
It's not complex. You just control what you are eating.
The rule is simple: If it's tasty - don't eat it.

Those fat hippos should not be aloud to fly in regular seats unless they payed for the middle one also.
There is truly a lot of hate being directed at fat people on this thread. Why? They are the ones who will live with health problems it causes. It is no ones business if someone chooses to be fat. Being thin does not make one a better person, it does not give one the right to demean those who are fat. This has nothing to do with politics as some have alluded to but it has to do with being decent to other human beings.

Just to be clear I am not part of the “fat acceptance” movement going on. Being fat is unhealthy, and I also won’t pretend it’s attractive but regardless these folks deserve to be treated with decency. We can make it clear to the world that being overweight is unhealthy. Airlines can and should have standards for who needs to buy a second set and who does not. Maybe they should even put in a row of oversized seats and charge more for them. No matter what though people like the lady on that plane are just plain mean and heartless. That video was truly disgusting.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:03 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,147,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
If the people next to me are too fat they are the ones who should pay extra. If I pay for a seat I should be entitled to all of it. Just like going to the ice cream store and ordering a banana split. If the fat person sitting in the booth next to you is still hungry after eating their banana split does that mean they are entitled to taking yours away and eating it too even though you paid for it?

Your logic is just messed up.
This. Them being fat doesn't entitle them to all of their seat plus part of mine.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:32 PM

914 posts, read 643,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It's the way one acts.

I am saying that there is a real issue....but when you buy a cheap coach fare you sometimes have to grin and bear it in the case of obese......keep the mouth closed because opening it isn't going to make the person slimmer.

In the case of really bad odors (another big recent news stories) I feel bad for the airlines because they can't win, but they must remove such people from the flight before it takes off.

I'm not talking a bit of odor here. But I remember a person who came to a party I was at....and when I say that at least a 15 foot radius around them was like a dead animal smell...I'm not kidding.

As far as wide people and airline seats - this is a job for airlines and the FAA, etc.

IMHO, there should perhaps be one or two rows of wider seats near the front (hard to squeeze all the way back) with a surcharge and those over a certain weight should have to buy those seats if available. There may be other options.

In some cases there is no answer...obviously people should slim down.

It's the mouths on these people (on both sides of the equation sometimes) that should moderate themselves.

The recent "smelly" case...the passengers seemed to react well. They told the flight attendants who also agreed there was a problem and they used an excuse to get the people off the plane.

Of course, the smelly people were none too happy but what can you do?
loving your posts. lol. Mostly agree especially the sad fact is flying coach has become a dreadful experience. At times common manners seem to be nowhere to be found. People, obese and unclean, seem to have no pride in themselves and yet still expect to be treated as decent human beings. Then there's the loud mother yelling at her children to behave for 15 long hours. I finally Kindly told her that she shouldn't worry about the children, as it is her yelling that is annoying people most. I then drank a bottle of wine as the children kicked the back of my seat. lol

I've shared flights with all of the above: smelly, obese, and horribly rude. two of those three got me first class seating

Old 01-31-2019, 09:41 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You mean Kasich, the governor of Ohio? He pulled executive privilege?
The woman was late boarding and Kasich had sat down in the empty seat. Sounds like she voluntarily let him take it and the airline gave her another flight and maybe some extras. THEN she goes online complaining. She did it to get attention and publicity since she is a left wing comedian and writer.

I can guarantee that little man would vacate my seat if I really needed to be on my flight. If the airline offered me some goodies that were worth it and I wasn't in a rush, then he could stay. That is probably what happened with her plus she got to go all SJW with some publicity.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:50 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The woman was late boarding and Kasich had sat down in the empty seat. Sounds like she voluntarily let him take it and the airline gave her another flight and maybe some extras. THEN she goes online complaining. She did it to get attention and publicity since she is a left wing comedian and writer.

I can guarantee that little man would vacate my seat if I really needed to be on my flight. If the airline offered me some goodies that were worth it and I wasn't in a rush, then he could stay. That is probably what happened with her plus she got to go all SJW with some publicity.
It sounded to me like she and the attendants were standing near him discussing it and he wouldn't get up. It also sounded like the attendants didn't want to confront him.

Do I really believe she didn't want to cause a scene and just left as she later stated? Not necessarily, but that doesn't negate the fact that he's a self-centered idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies