Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 12:22 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,148 times

Advertisements

Why not just make Columbus Day not a holiday anymore then move that "day off" to Election Day? I really don't understand the point of Columbus Day anyway. It's not like Columbus was an American or even the first non-native on what would be US soil. The are nearly the same time of year as well so it wouldn't be much of a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 12:23 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,236,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I am an independent. And an employer too.

I do not want it to be a federal holiday. I have been always able to vote since the polling stations close only at 7 Pm and there are never any long lines. If my employees want to vote they have enough time to do so or take a one of their paid day off leave or use the mail in ballot.

We have enough federal holidays as it is without creating another one.
Voting is ridiculously easy for me. I live in an affluent area where people take their local elections very seriously. We have early voting and there are 3 polling places that in crawling distance to me....one is in even in a newly renovated nature preserve. However, voting in other places are a complete joke and has me thinking that voter suppression is real. My state requires employers to allow time off for people to vote, but I can't imagine that would take more than 2 hours. Other states like Arizona and Oregon (iirc) do all their votes by mail.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:23 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
No, I think in person voting or online somehow on one day is the only answer.

Mail in creates lags in when votes show up and can get counted, plus if you have a scenario where someone votes early by mailing it in, events can take place after a vote is mailed that would change how someone feels about the candidate.
The vote by mail/county drop box can occur on election day, no real difference there. No real delay to speak of either that taking the rolls from in person machines doesn't have as well. Plus you can get a significant head start on counting.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:25 PM

230 posts, read 94,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Back in November 2016, about 10% of Americans said they didn't vote because they literally could not, as they had to work and couldn't get to the polls.

Democrats want to pass legislation that makes election day a federal holiday so that more Americans will have the day off and make it to the polls to cast a vote.

Republican rep Jim Jordan of Ohio is currently ranting on the House floor about how it would be a mistake.

Making election day a federal holiday would allow a lot more Americans to vote as they'd have the day off. That is a non-partisan, factual statement.

QUESTION TO REPUBLICAN VOTERS: Are you for or against election day becoming a federal holiday?

https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/stat...41291896111105
If its going to be made a national holiday then cut off ALL early voting and sendig in ballots by mail. People have PLENTY of time to vote in various ways.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:27 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Back in November 2016, about 10% of Americans said they didn't vote because they literally could not, as they had to work and couldn't get to the polls.

Democrats want to pass legislation that makes election day a federal holiday so that more Americans will have the day off and make it to the polls to cast a vote.

Republican rep Jim Jordan of Ohio is currently ranting on the House floor about how it would be a mistake.

Making election day a federal holiday would allow a lot more Americans to vote as they'd have the day off. That is a non-partisan, factual statement.

QUESTION TO REPUBLICAN VOTERS: Are you for or against election day becoming a federal holiday?

https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/stat...41291896111105

I always thought (at least the every 4 year presidentials ) were, here in NY it used to be that schools were closed on presidential election days (mainly because schools are the polling places)

I agree with making the first Tuesday in November a holiday, at least every 4 years.

what I dislike is the constant early voting, etc..its election day, not election month

Old 01-30-2019, 12:27 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:

I do not want it to be a federal holiday. I have been always able to vote since the polling stations close only at 7 Pm and there are never any long lines. If my employees want to vote they have enough time to do so or take a one of their paid day off leave or use the mail in ballot.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:28 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Most states already have laws stating companies must give employers time off to go vote. That's not enough?
Mind reader.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:29 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Why not just make Columbus Day not a holiday anymore then move that "day off" to Election Day? I really don't understand the point of Columbus Day anyway. It's not like Columbus was an American or even the first non-native on what would be US soil. The are nearly the same time of year as well so it wouldn't be much of a change.
Columbus day is still a federal holiday...

are you anti-Italian???

Old 01-30-2019, 12:30 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:

Ill buy that argument.

Just make voting Sat thru Tues.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:34 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
While most people may have enough time to vote, I think sometimes it's about the culture of what we, as a country, want to get across.

I'm one of those people with a long commute, long day, etc. and I honestly dread stopping on my way home to vote and stand in a line (because they only seem to put in ONE machine during the last election). Sometimes it seems we go out of our way to make it just "somewhat" accessible and easy. It doesn't send a strong message to anyone that "we want you to vote."

The only way to make our political system strong and representative of everyone is to encourage and promote voting by everyone. It should never be hard and there should never be any sort of penalty to voting (for instance, in my county that is the sole pool for jurists). While I like the idea of Australia's compulsory voting, I do get that voting is a "right" and no one should be forced. But no one should opt out because they felt like they were rushing home to vote AND get their kids picked up from daycare, etc. What's so hard about making it super, super easy. Yeah, get rid of Columbus Day. What a waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies