Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 09:45 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Who in their right mind in this day and age of ours would think this to be acceptable? Idiot.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/scho...190635400.html

Agreed. This may be a bogus story. Who would be that insensitive to think you needed to slap on make-up to teach a history lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 10:28 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Okay, well I'll clarify.

I'm not personally accusing you of anything. I don't know you.

I'm saying that there is a generational history of whites, especially white men, having few, if any, limits placed on their behavior. Now that there are, there's a backlash.

People lose their jobs, get kicked out of colleges and other institutions for behavior that we have evolved to understand is not appropriate.

It's not just "members of an offended group". It's PEOPLE. Ethnic slurs didn't become unacceptable for people to say in public because the small numbers of people who belong to those ethnicities, and do not have much political power were offended.

They became unacceptable to say because large numbers of white people, who have the numbers and the political power to actually make change, also agreed that these words are offensive.

I honestly do not think that the great majority of white people are desperately itching to wear blackface and use ethnic slurs, and it's a great tragedy that they can't.

I think most people realize that purposely doing things that hurt others is a dick move.

As far as "freedom" - is anyone going to jail over their confederate flags? Has anyone been executed by the government because they were critical of gays?

You have the freedom to wear blackface and call people names. The social consequences of that behavior may be that you lose your job or people don't want to watch your TV show. That doesn't make you a victim.
You are doing an end runaround the constitution, legal but still trying to silence others you don’t like. You go so far as to gloat that those who disobey should be punished by employers and other institutions whom have been sued, boycotted and brow beat into violating the rights of others. This is so un American and offensive to freedom words cannot describe my disgust with these tactics.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:42 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You are doing an end runaround the constitution, legal but still trying to silence others you don’t like. You go so far as to gloat that those who disobey should be punished by employers and other institutions whom have been sued, boycotted and brow beat into violating the rights of others. This is so un American and offensive to freedom words cannot describe my disgust with these tactics.
My eyes rolled so hard right now I detached both my retinas.

Okay dude. You're right. I personally have the power to destroy the constitution just by saying "hey, blackface is tacky, you shouldn't do it."

The constitution literally just now burst into flames. Democracy is collapsing. Congress is chaos. People are screaming in the streets. Cats are breeding with dogs, it's mass chaos. Any minute now the Stay Puft Marshmallow man is going to storm New York City.

I mean, if you're going to disconnect from reality, go all the way.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:48 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
A teacher who does this is an idiot. From an educational stand point you take away an important element of teaching and that is imagery. When a teacher uses blackface its like telling Martin Luther King that skin color does matter and that's why I'm using it. Anyone who thinks its okay is agreeing that skin color is important to convey who a person is.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:39 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
My eyes rolled so hard right now I detached both my retinas.

Okay dude. You're right. I personally have the power to destroy the constitution just by saying "hey, blackface is tacky, you shouldn't do it."

The constitution literally just now burst into flames. Democracy is collapsing. Congress is chaos. People are screaming in the streets. Cats are breeding with dogs, it's mass chaos. Any minute now the Stay Puft Marshmallow man is going to storm New York City.

I mean, if you're going to disconnect from reality, go all the way.
Here is an example of how the left looks at the world. Sarcasm and emotional reactions are a hallmark of the left wing and this post has both in droves. Let’s look at this from a logical fact base approach. You are not simply calling those who wear blackface tacky. That would not be a problem, in fact I would even agree it’s tacky. I hate dressing up period. However what you defended was punishing those who do something politically incorrect like wearing blackface by firing them from their jobs or kicking them out of college. Your side in general supports using these private entities (corporations) to enforce political correctness. This is a legal means around the constitution as the first amendment only protects you from government punishment for speech. Using employers is perfectly legal, something the founding fathers never forsaw enemies of freedom doing. In your previous posts you have given your support for these tactics, something that is very un American and something I find deplorable (to use one of y’alls words).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies