Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Northam Resign?
Yes, he clearly has a problem and has lost credibility 98 71.53%
No, Democrat leaders in VA are right, he has a great current track record that speaks more than his past 39 28.47%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 05:24 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times

Advertisements

Statement from Governor Northam, today.

"I am deeply sorry for the decision I made to appear as I did in this photo and for the hurt that decision caused then and now," reads the statement.
"This behavior is not in keeping with who I am today and the values I have fought for throughout my career in the military, in medicine, and in public service."
The statement continues: "I recognize that it will take time and serious effort to heal the damage this conduct has caused."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Statement from Governor Northam, today:
"I am deeply sorry for the decision I made to appear as I did in this photo and for the hurt that decision caused then and now," reads the statement.
"This behavior is not in keeping with who I am today and the values I have fought for throughout my career in the military, in medicine, and in public service."
The statement continues: "I recognize that it will take time and serious effort to heal the damage this conduct has caused."
Now he needs to apologize for "coon man."

...and for refusing to shake his black opponent's hand back in 2013.

...and for his racist truck add.

...and for taking his black Lt. Governor off of fliers.

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
What's interesting in how this is being covered.

If he were a Republican, it would have been plastered all over the headlines on newspapers and newsreels as Virginia "REPUBLIC GOVERNOR" Ralph Northam...but media coverage in liberal enclaves such as the NYTs and the NYDN are keeping the headline ambiguous enough to not include that in a discussion. I had to look up what party he was affiliated with

New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/01/u...gtype=Homepage

New York Daily News
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ham-story.html

Old 02-01-2019, 05:25 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I was alive in 1984 and around the same age. I can assure you, at that age, in college, not taboo at all.
Not about Taboo....about not being obtuse like this fellow was. No excuse for that kind of in-your-face behavior.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:25 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Biff Kavanaugh had a pretty nasty yearbook himself.
No...not really...nothing like this. The biggest thing there was about that "Renate Alumnus" thing...and, even though the "lady" doth protest too much now, it seems fairly evident that she was the go to doorknob at the time.

If it was just him mentioning her then that would be one thing...but the fact that she's mentioned by numerous other classmates and there are limericks about her in it shows she was what you'd call a "loose woman".

Old 02-01-2019, 05:26 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
When are the Republicans who have problems going to resign?

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Can't wait for Virginia's next black governor--coming soon!!! My guess is the GOP's glee will be short lived because of that. As much as they want to oust Northam, they are more like him than they will admit.

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Democratic politicians always step down when there is a scandal...Republicans...not so much. Enough already! The right wing sticks drunks who abuse women on the SCOTUS while calling for the heads of others that have not come anywhere close to such depravity. Walk the walk or put a sock in it! And btw.. your orange-hued standard bearer is a degenerate in every sense of the word so quit throwing stones because every logical American is hip to this stupidity.
remind me of when Bill Clinton resigned again

Old 02-01-2019, 05:27 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
As awful and racist as the blackface costume is, the KKK costume is much, much worse. (The first is mocking black people - bad enough - but the second is modeling oneself over a group of haters who lynched blacks. Thus, the fact that Northam has declined to say which one he was leads me to suspect he was the KKK guy.
Man! This is crazy. At first, I thought they were both equally appalling, but you’re right. He probably is the KKK dude.

Insane.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:28 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
He will resign, I'm sure. And his place taken by a black democratic man. The republicans will love it.
Why would you assume Republicans would have a problem? That's such a sweeping condemnation of millions of people, and, given the racist photo that just emerged from a Democrat, I wouldn't talk right now.

And btw - I myself am Republican and voted for the black candidate who ran in my state (and against the white guy).. Why? Because I preferred his policies. Color was irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies