Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 05:40 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

For the uninformed:

https://www.nhs.us/students/membersh...come-a-member/

Could he have been kept out with a 4.0? Absolutely. Teachers are required to rate potential inductees on a 1 to 5 scale (or is it 1 to 4? It doesn't matter). Low ratings will come with commentary explaining the reasoning behind the low rating.

A lot of it revolves around character. And no, supporting one or another political candidate isn't a measure of character.

Could he have gotten enough downs from teachers because of his political stances? Absolutely. No one said it has to be fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 07:07 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Trump speaks on a 3rd or 4th grade level? Well you should team up with him. He would probably enjoy the company of someone who thinks on his same level.
My short paragraph you quoted:

Approximate representation of the U.S. grade level needed to comprehend the text:
Coleman Liau index: 8.44
Flesch Kincaid Grade level: 7.37
SMOG: 10.25

Trumps:
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-fire-...s-obama-774169

I should have said mid-4th grade to be accurate. My apologies.

The point still stands. Honor Student means you can tell the difference between text written for a child and for an adult (or spoken) - which you seem to have trouble with.

That chart also shows why many Republicans didn't understand Obama. You'd need about 10th grade level...and there is a vast different between 4th and 10th as you probably know.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:13 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
Trump speaking at a college-level capacity is an honor to hear.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:14 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
National Honor Society requirements include a minimum GPA (apparently set by the school - in ours it's 94/100), community service hours, school service hours, and teacher recommendations. I would think disciplinary action would prevent you from being accepted.

Politics has nothing to do with it.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
National Honor Society requirements include a minimum GPA (apparently set by the school - in ours it's 94/100), community service hours, school service hours, and teacher recommendations. I would think disciplinary action would prevent you from being accepted.

Politics has nothing to do with it.
If you don't think some teachers wouldn't take a student's opposing political beliefs, especially if it concerns Trump, into account when doing a rating then I have a bridge to sell you.

Just look at some of the (incredibly stupid and demeaning) responses in this thread. Some are similar to things you've posted at other times.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you don't think some teachers wouldn't take a student's opposing political beliefs, especially if it concerns Trump, into account when doing a rating then I have a bridge to sell you.

Just look at some of the (incredibly stupid and demeaning) responses in this thread. Some are similar to things you've posted at other times.
You sound like someone looking for an excuse to be a victim.Take some personal responsibility.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
You sound like someone looking for an excuse to be a victim. Take some personal responsibility.
You sound like someone who has a problem synthesizing information.

Do you even know what goes into a NHS selection? Not what you've been "told". A couple people stated that a student's political beliefs wouldn't impact his selection. That's bull****. Over thirty one years teaching high school I saw students rejected for lesser reasons (family name, address (can't have those poor kids thinking they qualify), clothes, Principal interference among many others).

Were those " fair"? Were those kids who were rejected looking "for a reason to be a victim"? Or were they singled out and rejected for specious reasons?

Old 02-01-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You sound like someone who has a problem synthesizing information.

Do you even know what goes into a NHS selection? Not what you've been "told". A couple people stated that a student's political beliefs wouldn't impact his selection. That's bull****. Over thirty one years teaching high school I saw students rejected for lesser reasons (family name, address (can't have those poor kids thinking they qualify), clothes, Principal interference among many others).

Were those " fair"? Were those kids who were rejected looking "for a reason to be a victim"? Or were they singled out and rejected for specious reasons?
I don't know what kind of school you taught at. That doesn't fly here.

The class president of my son's class is a huge outspoken trump fan. When kids did the walkout in support of Parkland students, there were a bunch of kids in MAGA hats laughing at them. Some of these kids are in NHS.

Did you read the kid's history with disciplinary actions? He sounds like an entitled brat spoiling for a fight. A provocateur. Call it what you like.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:21 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Trump speaks on a 3rd or 4th grade level? Well you should team up with him. He would probably enjoy the company of someone who thinks on his same level.
This comes as a surprise to you?
Quote:
Trump speaks at level of 8-year-old, new analysis finds
Mr. Trump scores the lowest of any of the past 15 presidents

An analysis of the President's first 30,000 words uttered in office found Mr Trump speaks at a third- to seventh-grade reading level – lower than any other President since 1929. Mr Trump’s vocabulary and grammatical structure is “significantly more simple, and less diverse” than any President since Herbert Hoover, the analysis found.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8149926.html
For his base it's fine and dandy, but I cannot stand to listen to him speak for longer than a few seconds.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:27 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, I mean - by any objective measure, support for an idiot in the WH does not indicate high intelligence or honor. That's not political.
Yeah, it is.
Quote:
That's a basic test to see whether one can reason
And you failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies