Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 02:59 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,984 times

Advertisements

Very insulting and degrading to Ivanka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 03:01 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,172,858 times
1. It looks nothing like Ivanka.
2. Ivanka has probably never even heard of a vacuum cleaner.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Very insulting and degrading to Ivanka.

What's insulting and degrading about vacuuming?

Old 02-06-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
What's insulting and degrading about vacuuming?
It's symbolism, not literal vacuuming. People can throw crumbs at her and she'll vacuum them up, like she's a slave or servant ordered to clean up someone's mess. Or she's at the crumb-thrower's beck and call, doing as she's told with a smile plastered on her face.

The artist's press release explaining the exhibit makes the exhibit worse: BEGIN QUOTE “Here is what’s complicated: we enjoy throwing the crumbs for Ivanka to vacuum. That is the icky truth at the center of the work. It’s funny, it’s pleasurable, it makes us feel powerful, and we want to do it more,” Rubell noted. “We like having the power to elicit a specific and certain response. Also, we know she’ll keep vacuuming whether we do it or not, so it’s not really our fault, right?” END QUOTE

Old 02-06-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
It's symbolism, not literal vacuuming. People can throw crumbs at her and she'll vacuum them up, like she's a slave or servant ordered to clean up someone's mess. Or she's at the crumb-thrower's beck and call, doing as she's told with a smile plastered on her face.
So?
What's wrong with that? Millions of people clean up after other people every day, myself included. Are you saying she's above cleaning up after people? Why? Because she was born a billionaire's daughter?

Quote:
The artist's press release explaining the exhibit makes the exhibit worse: BEGIN QUOTE “Here is what’s complicated: we enjoy throwing the crumbs for Ivanka to vacuum. That is the icky truth at the center of the work. It’s funny, it’s pleasurable, it makes us feel powerful, and we want to do it more,” Rubell noted. “We like having the power to elicit a specific and certain response. Also, we know she’ll keep vacuuming whether we do it or not, so it’s not really our fault, right?” END QUOTE
So? What's your problem with it?

Old 02-06-2019, 04:40 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,513,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
She chose to take a high profile job in the White House and there is a controversy about mixing personal business interests with her position as advisor to the President. If you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen.
Read her tweet response, she can take the heat.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:44 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,752,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Read her tweet response, she can take the heat.
perfect classy response to the idiotic loony leftists!

Old 02-06-2019, 05:48 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
She's a real woman, not 'a lifelike figure'. She doesn't look very much like Ivanka either, so I think the whole performance is a flop.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
So?
What's wrong with that? Millions of people clean up after other people every day, myself included. Are you saying she's above cleaning up after people? Why? Because she was born a billionaire's daughter?

So? What's your problem with it?
That's the image you want people to see you as? Someone who vacuums? If you have a public job like she does, and someone decides to make an exhibit about you, and what they saw in their mind was of you vacuuming, which is not even about your work and instead something in your PERSONAL life, you would be happy? You would wonder why they were highlighting something in your personal life and not anything you accomplished in your PUBLIC job. It's insulting. This exhibit is obviously ridiculing her.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
That's the image you want people to see you as? Someone who vacuums? If you have a public job like she does, and someone decides to make an exhibit about you, and what they saw in their mind was of you vacuuming, which is not even about your work and instead something in your PERSONAL life, you would be happy? You would wonder why they were highlighting something in your personal life and not anything you accomplished in your PUBLIC job. It's insulting. This exhibit is obviously ridiculing her.

Wouldn't bother me at all because I don't view vacuuming as either demeaning or insulting. Clearly you do. Never heard anything so elitist in my life.
Millions of people every day vacuum, clean, cut grass, clear garbage, wash dishes, wait tables, work down mines etc... they might not be glamorous jobs but they're honest jobs and many people are pleased to have the work. I don't look down my nose at a bit of vacuuming. Think how insulting you are about the people who do those jobs. It's not something to be ashamed of.

Sorry if you think a supposed image of Ivanka vacuuming is somehow insulting. Some people weren't born with silver spoons in their mouths. Poor Ivanka. I remember watching her say after publishing her book that she'd been so busy, she hadn't even had time to go for her weekly massage. Poor love, my heart bled.

Anyway don't worry about it, I'm sure Ivanka has plenty of people picking up after her. That's until her father deports them all of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies