Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 06:51 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,888,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
A gut wrenching subject. Killing babies, no matter what stage of life. Can't be justified so hurry hurry. Change the subject. Called deflection.
Would you be willing to have your taxes increased sharply to maintain the life of an infant born with severe birth defects such as that in this true story?

https://abc13.com/family/preemie-bor...home-/5103217/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 07:05 PM

2,448 posts, read 899,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Would you be willing to have your taxes increased sharply to maintain the life of an infant born with severe birth defects such as that in this true story?

https://abc13.com/family/preemie-bor...home-/5103217/
Yes., although I'm certain taxes would not need to be raised "sharply." As a matter of fact, with sensible cuts to things like our bloated defense budget, taxes wouldn't need to be raised at all.

And I find your premise that people with severe disabilities ("Ya know...we're actually doing them a favor") should be killed revolting. In all likelihood, if you had such a child, your humanity would be awakened.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:08 PM

6,829 posts, read 3,238,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Rules for Success
1) Finish High School
2) Get a job.
3) Get married
4) Have Children.

Rules for Poverty
1) Drop out of school
2) apply for public assistance
3) don't get married
4) have children out of wedlock

The most eloquent word : my father
The most disgusting word: baby daddy
So being a daddy to a baby is disgusting. Okay, got that.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:14 PM

2,448 posts, read 899,544 times
Quote:
Does the actual number matter? I spent a lot of time saving the life of a mother 20 weeks pregnant and hemorrhaging to death. She had a partial placental abruption behind which she was bleeding profusely. The intact portion of the placenta was still maintaining a fetal heartbeat so the catholic hospital would not terminate the pregnancy to save the mother's life. She was flown to a medical center that saved her life by terminating the pregnancy.

What matters is the catholic church believes the mother should die (be martyred) with the baby in circumstances such as this and both will die. If one life can be saved, wouldn't that be the pro-life stance?
It does. I would go so far as to call this a "bad faith argument." I think it's offered up not because it's an actual concern, but because of its emotional appeal as a talking point. As a general principle, arguing by the exception, and in this case, a very minute exception, versus the rule, is a weak argument.

If I said to you that transgender people should be disallowed to enter the restrooms opposite their biological sex because there have been a handful of cases in which biological males have entered women's restrooms for nefarious purposes and then claimed to identify as women, I feel safe in saying some of you same people would reject that principle based on a minute exception.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:44 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,861,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
It does. I would go so far as to call this a "bad faith argument." I think it's offered up not because it's an actual concern, but because of its emotional appeal as a talking point. As a general principle, arguing by the exception, and in this case, a very minute exception, versus the rule, is a weak argument.

If I said to you that transgender people should be disallowed to enter the restrooms opposite their biological sex because there have been a handful of cases in which biological males have entered women's restrooms for nefarious purposes and then claimed to identify as women, I feel safe in saying some of you same people would reject that principle based on a minute exception.

Hey now. Don't drag us into this. This is between you who can reproduce.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:24 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,715,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yep - for them, life begins at conception and ends at birth!
For a standout example of how that is all too pitifully true, laws have been proposed to do something about the horrific problem where women throw their newborns into dumpsters. To discourage this, a law would allow a woman to hand over her newborn to a trusted party without questions being asked. But many pro-life people are strongly opposed to such a law, because it would let off the woman from charges of child abandonment.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:33 PM

11,126 posts, read 5,620,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
For a standout example of how that is all too pitifully true, laws have been proposed to do something about the horrific problem where women throw their newborns into dumpsters. To discourage this, a law would allow a woman to hand over her newborn to a trusted party without questions being asked. But many pro-life people are strongly opposed to such a law, because it would let off the woman from charges of child abandonment.

It should be noted that the Supreme Court just rejected a highly-restrictive Louisiana law that would have made it difficult, if not impossible, for a woman to have an abortion in that state. Voting 5-4, to throw out the law, chief justice John Roberts voted with the majority. Gorsuch, Thomas, Alito and Kavanaugh voted to uphold it. I guess Trump thought by stacking the court with his puppets to gain a conservative majority, he could gain points with his base supporters. But he overlooked the complication to that, which is Chief Justice Roberts being an honorable man, who will take the side of justice and fair play.

Trump's two recent appointees taking the side of the anti-abortion conservatives, sends an ominous warning of how they might vote on a challenge to Roe vs. Wade, if one more conservative stooge is imposed on us, in that court. If the Republican majority in the Senate confirms another conservative justice, they will be pounding more nails into the coffin of their reign of destruction and oppression. The majority of voters wouldn't forget that in 2020, when many of them will be at risk of losing their bids for re election.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:34 PM

18,437 posts, read 19,088,484 times
Some are Pro life except in the case of rape or incest why is a pregnancy resulting from consensual sex any different than one by force?

Old 02-08-2019, 04:14 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,374,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Some are Pro life except in the case of rape or incest why is a pregnancy resulting from consensual sex any different than one by force?
Incest can lead to genetically deformed babies

Old 02-08-2019, 06:48 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,222,703 times
Default Ask the mother/father

Quote:
Does the actual number matter? I spent a lot of time saving the life of a mother 20 weeks pregnant and hemorrhaging to death. She had a partial placental abruption behind which she was bleeding profusely. The intact portion of the placenta was still maintaining a fetal heartbeat so the catholic hospital would not terminate the pregnancy to save the mother's life. She was flown to a medical center that saved her life by terminating the pregnancy.

What matters is the catholic church believes the mother should die (be martyred) with the baby in circumstances such as this and both will die. If one life can be saved, wouldn't that be the pro-life stance?

I'd catch a bullet for my daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies