Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 07:49 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,222,350 times

Advertisements

It seems Alexis De Tocqueville got it correct in 1835....

https://www.marxists.org/reference/a...erica/ch18.htm

Quote:
"The negro makes a thousand fruitless efforts to insinuate himself amongst men who repulse him; he conforms to the tastes of his oppressors, adopts their opinions, and hopes by imitating them to form a part of their community. Having been told from infancy that his race is naturally inferior to that of the whites, he assents to the proposition and is ashamed of his own nature. In each of his features he discovers a trace of slavery, and, if it were in his power, he would willingly rid himself of everything that makes him what he is.

The Indian, on the contrary, has his imagination inflated with the pretended nobility of his origin, and lives and dies in the midst of these dreams of pride. Far from desiring to conform his habits to ours, he loves his savage life as the distinguishing mark of his race, and he repels every advance to civilization, less perhaps from the hatred which he entertains for it, than from a dread of resembling the Europeans.

The negro, who earnestly desires to mingle his race with that of the European, cannot effect it; while the Indian, who might succeed to a certain extent, disdains to make the attempt. The servility of the one dooms him to slavery, the pride of the other to death."

Old 02-14-2019, 09:07 AM

37,958 posts, read 17,900,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Why comment on "if" - when something is completely impossible?
Because it is used as an example. Having a thought process is essential to understanding.

Quote:
We are discussing real history and the experiences of millions of human beings and you are saying that if Pigs Flew we may have to change our traffic laws.
No that's just something you've made up because you don't care about the truth.

Quote:
That is a discussion for fantasy and role-playing forums.

Quote:
If you really wanted to speculate that far, you might as well throw in "if 80% of all the people in the Union including the states had wanted to change the US Constitution with many amendments they could have done so - and perhaps said changes would allow for the formation of a different union or two"......
It's not speculation. It is an example of why it is about secession. Not that you care about the truth.

Quote:
That is at least grounded in a potential reality...as opposed to "on monday I flapped my arms and on tuesday I was a jet airliner"

Lets see if run from this like you run from commenting again and make things up. Lets see if you ignore and deflect again.

One more time in hopes you care about the truth. The Civil War was fought over secession. Slavery was a point of contention. Lincoln would not allow the South to leave NO MATTER WHAT THE REASON.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:52 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,283,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
One more time in hopes you care about the truth. The Civil War was fought over secession. Slavery was a point of contention. Lincoln would not allow the South to leave NO MATTER WHAT THE REASON.

CORRECT!!!!!! I'm not White and I'm not from the South. The fact is Lincoln was a tyrant and he violated the constitutional rights to many Americans in the South and North. It's about time to set the record straight and the South should keep honoring the Confederate flag as long that We keep honoring Lincoln with memorials, schools and put him in our currency.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:58 AM

7,188 posts, read 4,776,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Honestly your obsession with this is unhealthy.
I disagree.

Perhaps you wish the whole slavery thing would go away as if it never happened.

It isn’t going away.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:06 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,568,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I disagree.

It isn’t going away.
I know the victim mentality is strong in some cultures. It's like a permanent crutch to use for ones failures.

I never witnessed slavery and you didn't either. So this obsession with the rebel flag hurting one's feelings is pathetic.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:22 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,375,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I know the victim mentality is strong in some cultures. It's like a permanent crutch to use for ones failures.

I never witnessed slavery and you didn't either. So this obsession with the rebel flag hurting one's feelings is pathetic.
So go fly it if you want. That's freedom of expression. But don't be surprised if there's a whole lot of people who will express their opinions that you find objectionable. That's also freedom of expression.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:25 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I disagree.

It isn’t going away.
Some people are never going to listen. It does not fit their narrative. I figured this thread was going to turn into a dumpster fire. Some people only came to this thread to spread a "Lost Cause" narrative. The whole point was to derail the thread. If said persons are only here to talk about "Black people are brainwashed" or "the war wasn't about slavery", then said persons need to go away and quit posting here. They are only causing more problems. This was suppose to be about the strong disconnect between how many Whites see the Confederate flag and how many Blacks see the Confederate flag. Instead of that it has degenerated. And now we have some persons talking about things that have nothing to do with the thread. It is merely degenerating the thread further.

Of course, that was likely the idea. Rather than just stay away from the thread, the idea is "degenerate the thread, take it down a weird direction, deflect, gaslight". One reason I've ignored several posts. Said persons are only posting that crap just to take the thread into more histrionics and petulance.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:30 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,375,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I was only responding to his obsession with "integration". Integration is not about political-equality, it is about forcing white people to let blacks live in their neighborhoods, date their daughters, go to their schools(both private and public), shop at their businesses, etc.

Integration is good for big-business, and serves the national-interests by preventing the country from coming-apart. But why do blacks think so lowly of themselves that they don't think they can stand on their own two feet? It seems that black people are far more interested in privileges than rights.

So you're pining for the good old days of redlining, segregated neighborhoods, real estate covenants?

Sorry but it's 2019, not 1959. That ship has sailed.

While I wouldn't necessarily want to move to your neighborhood, nor would I want to date your daughter, there's something called civil rights laws - which ensure that if I need to move there, I have the opportunity to live there. Tough noogies if you don't like it.

And thank you kindly for showing your true colors.

Last edited by silverkris; 02-14-2019 at 12:38 PM..

Old 02-14-2019, 12:40 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So go fly it if you want. That's freedom of expression. But don't be surprised if there's a whole lot of people who will express their opinions that you find objectionable. That's also freedom of expression.
THANK YOU SILVERKRIS!!! You and some other individuals on this thread actually get it. A person has the right to fly the Confederate. It is freedom of expression. A person has a choice to fly it from their home or their car. However, with freedom comes responsibility. Said persons should at least take some consideration to understand why some people do not like the Confederate flag. Instead of saying "Blacks are just brainwashed by liberals" or "political correctness", maybe it might help to try and understand the situation. Of course, some people don't want to.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:42 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,206,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Sure. There will be many people who object to seeing the flag, but can you really state for certain that the majority of all people would feel this way? Liberals and SJW should really stop bullying and intimidating people to objecting to everything they say that we be objecting to.

BTW my husband took this picture last week in Florida. Don't you love the irony of the highway exit sign in the foreground?

The Confederate Flag will ALWAYS be a part of America's southern history and heritage. Just like the N-word will never go away either. Just stop giving both such negative powers, stop trying to control others from using them and move forward with your lives.
Attached Thumbnails
Confederate Flag/Why Many Don't View It As Southern Heritage-flconfederateflag.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies