Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 01:54 PM
exm

3,721 posts, read 1,780,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Well I’m upper middle class and my taxes went down about 5k.

We need to raise them back up tho since the tax law like most R tax cuts has blown a hole in the budget and we now have a much larger deficit.

Two things:
1. Write a check to US Treasury if you feel really strong about the deficit

2. You are aware Obama was responsible for the highest deficit increase in history right? That's a D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 01:57 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Two things:
1. Write a check to US Treasury if you feel really strong about the deficit
I see this often from cons and its an absurd suggestion.

One individual contribution is going to do exactly nothing about the deficit, a change in tax law that affects everyone could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
2. You are aware Obama was responsible for the highest deficit increase in history right? That's a D.
Negative. The deficit was halved under Obama, was on a downward trajectory for his entire two terms. It's going up again now under Trump.

You appear to be another low info echo chamber news consumer who does not understand what the deficit is. You seem to have it confused with the cumulative debt.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:59 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,436,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
People who give the govt. an interest free loan, only to wait for a refund aren’t very bright.
Alternate reasoning.

Reality
You give it now or give it later.
No escaping death and taxes.
Numbers are the same.
The majority of the Country gave more money to the Government -to give to the 1 % sitting on the arz waiting for our money .

Trump supporters understand you tho.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:56 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Well I’m upper middle class and my taxes went down about 5k.

We need to raise them back up tho since the tax law like most R tax cuts has blown a hole in the budget and we now have a much larger deficit.
We don't need to raise taxes to address the deficit. We need to curb the out of control spending.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:57 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Alternate reasoning.

Reality
Numbers are the same.
The majority of the Country gave more money to the Government -to give to the 1 % sitting on the arz waiting for our money .

Actually, the majority of the country paid less in taxes...

Old 04-15-2019, 05:12 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Alternate reasoning.

Reality
Numbers are the same.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/mode...-2018/t18-0026

Quote:
The Tax Policy Center estimates that 65 percent of people paid less under the law and that just 6 percent paid more.
Wrong again.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:15 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times
I finished up my taxes over the weekend. Ended up owing $117 but pocketed $2,000 more on my paychecks this year. Sure it's not a huge gain but when you don't have much disposable income it makes a big difference.
The people who are hurting the most are the ones with huge mortgages who can no longer deduct all that interest, and I don't really have a problem with that due to how expensive housing has gotten.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:46 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I finished up my taxes over the weekend. Ended up owing $117 but pocketed $2,000 more on my paychecks this year. Sure it's not a huge gain but when you don't have much disposable income it makes a big difference.
The people who are hurting the most are the ones with huge mortgages who can no longer deduct all that interest, and I don't really have a problem with that due to how expensive housing has gotten.
Yeah, those poor folks have to pay more in taxes so the very rich got a tax cut. Seems fair...

Old 04-15-2019, 07:09 PM
exm

3,721 posts, read 1,780,351 times
Quote:
I see this often from cons and its an absurd suggestion.

One individual contribution is going to do exactly nothing about the deficit, a change in tax law that affects everyone could.

Negative. The deficit was halved under Obama, was on a downward trajectory for his entire two terms. It's going up again now under Trump.

You appear to be another low info echo chamber news consumer who does not understand what the deficit is. You seem to have it confused with the cumulative debt.

I'll bite.

A budget deficit is the difference between what the federal government spends (called outlays) and what it takes in (called revenue or receipts). The national debt, also known as the public debt, is the result of the federal government borrowing money to cover years and years of budget deficits.

Here you go: https://www.thebalance.com/national-...-obama-3306293

Old 04-15-2019, 08:28 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
"Less than one in five registered voters say they paid less in taxes during the first year of President Trump's landmark tax law, a Hill-HarrisX poll released Monday finds.

Only 18 percent of respondents say they are paying less in federal taxes for 2018 compared to 2017 in the survey, which was taken ahead of the April 15 tax deadline."

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...-less-in-taxes

I guess all those Republicans can't count since only 28% of GOP registered voters claim they pay less - while our "resident experts here" seem to claim that EVERYONE pays less except some Bad Blue People.

Your Mr. Trump made a bad calculation here. Lots of Republicans in Blue States are paying more and won't be donating as much to the election funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies