Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 07:28 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Go for it. It's been done before. It's what I suggest for anyone that doesn't like the Constitution as written.
Remember when WVA had the 3.2%, limit? I was living in Webster County at the time (early '70s). And every beer drinker in the state hated it. And what was weird is they sold wine and hard liquor at that time. WVA finally changed that ridiculous law a few years after I moved back to Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 08:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Remember when WVA had the 3.2%, limit? I was living in Webster County at the time (early '70s). And every beer drinker in the state hated it. And what was weird is they sold wine and hard liquor at that time. WVA finally changed that ridiculous law a few years after I moved back to Virginia.
I didn't drink beer in the early 70's but lots of places had variations of that law.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
This isn't politics. That's why they can get involved in it. Beer is not a political party. Beer cannot vote. The church has every right to get involved in issues of morality. Since the majority of Utah citizens are Mormon it's kinda a no brainier that their mouthpieces would get involved.
Using a means to influence government so it can impose a rule, regulation, whatever, on people who are not members of the religion nor church, is getting into politics.

The church and its members are more than welcome to impose the rules on themselves.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:07 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Using a means to influence government so it can impose a rule, regulation, whatever, on people who are not members of the religion nor church, is getting into politics.

The church and its members are more than welcome to impose the rules on themselves.
All they can do is vote just like everyone else. Are you really wanting to go there?

Old 02-12-2019, 09:24 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
Since Utah has the third average highest elevation among the states, 3.2 beer consumed in the higher parts of the state has very similar effects as the 4%-5% range of light beers consumed at lower elevations.

Go to Brians Head Utah for some skiing at 9800' and 3.2 beer has serious power

Old 02-12-2019, 09:41 PM

8,157 posts, read 3,678,584 times
What can I say, I'll keep going to Colorado for skiing.

P.S. In regards to elevations: Breckenridge: base - 9600', summit - 13000'.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:46 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
Colorado just changed their 3.2 beer law back on Jan 1st. At least Utah has done away with their "Zion curtain" law. And as stated earlier in the thread, you can still get full strength beer in Utah. It's really not a big deal. Definitely isn't worth skipping over the state for recreation and visiting purposes.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
All they can do is vote just like everyone else. Are you really wanting to go there?
Voting is fine, talking about lobbying efforts and other influences, or do you really believe only voters influence any and all laws and actions by government? because if so, then there would be zero reason to have lobbyist, PACs, etc.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Not so fast. Minnesota, too.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/01/1...o-utah-kansas/

Which is strange, given that the Gopher state has elected Jesse the Body, Al Franken, and the little ratfaced Jew-hater Ilhan Omar.

Maybe Minnesotans use beer as a chaser for antifreeze.
We have liquor stores. Nobody buys their booze from a gas station or grocery store because they can only sell 3.2. We just recently changed the laws so you can buy alcohol on Sundays (suck it Wisconsin we don't need you anymore!) Liquor stores close at 10pm so we do have some pretty strict laws so if your still sober after that you either have to go to a bar or your SOL.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:56 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Am I correct in reading that it only eliminates the ability to call something with 3.2% alcohol "beer"? Does this mean that you can still get a beverage (if someone produces it) with 3.2% but just cannot call it beer for advertising? I live in a beer and wine only in grocery store state with state run liquor stores but don't know much about this law they are voting on in UT.
I didnt know they still made 3.2% beer, it used to be popular with teens, because they could legally buy it, but now that market has been taken over by the energy drinks that contain small amounts of alcohol, do not have to be 21 to buy these, very rarely do adults buy these drinks, its always younger people.

Most regular beer is around 4% alcohol, the 'ice' beers are closer to 5%, a few are 6%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies