Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 08:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I've been boycotting Nike for years, not due to politics but due to disappointment in quality. Not surprising since so much of it is made in sweat-shops in totalitarian countries.

I've had Nike shoes that I had to throw out because the sizing was off. It can be hard to judge fit in the store, then after a couple days of wearing it you realize that the '10' that fit perfectly in your last pair is now too big or too small.

I buy Mizuno now, and don't even have to go to the store. The size that fit last time, fits every time.

Nike socks suck too. I buy only FitSok now. They're comfortable, great traction, last forever, and are made in USA, not some craphole dictatorship that Nike has probably paid off.
Good point on the quality.

Last summer I ordered 3 pairs of Air Max done up in different monogramming but all in Arizona State colors. The bubble heel/sole broke on two pairs and I sent them back for refunds.

That’s not the first time I’ve had the bubble soles break on a $200 pair of Air Max. I quit ordering those after that.

Last month I ordered 2 pairs of Nike ‘17 vintage Waffle Racers. Very nice indeed. Good quality for sure.

Like you I’m also a big Mizuno fan. I’ve got a pair of Waveknit R2’s that get mad props from sneaker heads when I wear ‘em. I keep ‘em spotless too. Lol

Old 02-14-2019, 02:29 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Looks like the guy is gonna end up losing his sportswear/shoe business because he “patriotically” removed Nike products from his store over their Kaepernick endorsement.

Big dummy. Meanwhile, Nike is blowing up, feeling no pain from the so-called boycott, and has seen their stocks shoot into the stratosphere.

In this life ya gotta know where your bread is buttered. Nike can crush any obstinate retailer. Their gear is too popular.

https://thinkprogress.org/conservati...1dec14c98/amp/

"Since then, many conservatives, like President Donald Trump"

hahahahahaha Conservatives like Trump hahahahahahaha As if Trumps conservative. One store owner means exactly what now?

What a garbage OP. Nothing to do with policy and he quotes a lie. You can't make this up. Granted no discussion about policy as it would out the progressives as complete failures and the conservative policies as those which work best. But when you're too busy with your hand out begging for government welfare, what can one expect?

The store owner isn't black. Why do you care?

Old 02-14-2019, 03:44 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
Man is a fool who deserved to go out of business. A sports apparel store that no longer sold NBA or NFL team apparel? Who could have predicted this demise?

It's a stretch to point to this as endorsement or vindication for Nike though. Its not like someone wanting to buy a Broncos jersey is making a commitment to Nike or Kaepernick. This is akin to gas station without gas.

The other indicators you mention may be meaningful though. Although the stock price is about the same as when this boycott stuff happened at the start of the season.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:54 AM

28 posts, read 13,728 times
I'm a conservative/republican and I find it stupid to boycott Nike over this. Kaepernick is a business man and I respect him for that because he never really cared about BLM or any of those other groups, he just used them to make money for himself since he knew he was a garbage quarterback and wouldn't last any longer in the NFL. Everything he did was all about self promotion, and it was brilliantly done in my most honest opinion. I would have done the exact same thing if I were him.

TLDR: I still buy Nike shoes because I love the way they look and feel on my feet.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:42 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,302,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Dude View Post
I'm a conservative/republican and I find it stupid to boycott Nike over this. Kaepernick is a business man and I respect him for that because he never really cared about BLM or any of those other groups, he just used them to make money for himself since he knew he was a garbage quarterback and wouldn't last any longer in the NFL. Everything he did was all about self promotion, and it was brilliantly done in my most honest opinion. I would have done the exact same thing if I were him.

TLDR: I still buy Nike shoes because I love the way they look and feel on my feet.

Since you think Kap was a garbage QB, then you must think most back-ups and even a few starters are "garbage x 2".

Old 02-14-2019, 05:37 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Looks like the guy is gonna end up losing his sportswear/shoe business because he “patriotically” removed Nike products from his store over their Kaepernick endorsement.

Big dummy. Meanwhile, Nike is blowing up, feeling no pain from the so-called boycott, and has seen their stocks shoot into the stratosphere.

In this life ya gotta know where your bread is buttered. Nike can crush any obstinate retailer. Their gear is too popular.

https://thinkprogress.org/conservati...1dec14c98/amp/
Nike isn't blowing up, its slowly recovering from its Kaepernick September misstep and it still isn't even there yet.

Lol!

https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/nke/stock-chart

That being said, he should not have taken the product off his shelves. People do have short memories

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 02-14-2019 at 06:00 AM..

Old 02-14-2019, 05:44 AM

5,112 posts, read 2,054,389 times
Quote:

He made the correct business decision. His agent should also be given some kudos here. They capitalized on the current social and economic trends and made them work in their best interest. That is what free market economy is all about. I salute them for it!!
I'm late to the party but I saw this Kaepernick meme who might worth some words.

https://imgur.com/c6Q3ImH

But I guess I have more chances to see the Browns winning a Super Bowl championship before Kaepernick do what Linus suggested.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:48 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
The lesson to be learned here is if you want to protest, use your money. Don't lose your money.
Symbolic gestures are fine are fine, but don't stake your livelihood on them or you'll end up broke.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:05 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,302,408 times
Quote:
Kap gambled against himself, dude. If he really thought he had even a snowballs chance at making money or being successful in the NFL he wouldn't have done what he did.

You also have to take into account the fact that an NFL football career is tough and can leave you in perilous health conditions even under the best of circumstances. Even if we assume that Kap may have made some money there, was it really worth it in the end?

He made the correct business decision. His agent should also be given some kudos here. They capitalized on the current social and economic trends and made them work in their best interest. That is what free market economy is all about. I salute them for it!!
The point was you implied Kap was not good enough for the NFL. I am telling you he is better then most back-ups and several starters. Bortles and the aging Eli come to mind.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:09 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Gotta love this story for two reasons:

1.) It proves to the MAGA crowd that the free market always wins in the end.

2.) It proves to the Democratic SJW crowd that the free market always wins in the end.

Yay capitalism!
What exactly is your point ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies