Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 06:35 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Many of us who grew up in the 60's and 70's still see the effects of wasted years by old pot smokers who lose their drive and ambition.

Who wants to go through life stoned? It's not that much fun.
This is a very important point and part of the discussion.

What you see as a negative many see as a positive.

You probably get "high" when you make a big sale. You get "high" by watching dramas with lots of blood, gunshots or sex on the tube...or sports...or whatever.

LOTS of people want to go through life stoned. We spent a few weeks with Real Rastafarians in the hills of Jamaica and they definitely want to go through life stoned. Many of them had already experienced much of the world (traveled, in the military, etc.)...they decided living on the land, contemplating the meaning of life and loving everyone was a better system.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:38 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Default Pot: Why do Progressives make things up?and GOP favor arresting users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
If one wants to boil down world-views down, the "pot thing" is very indicative.

That's a MASSIVE difference...and even allows for Republican softening on the issue over the last number of years.

It's a telling issue for a number of reasons. Historically, pot use became well known when the hippies and the counterculture made it mainstream. This was "radical left".

The reasoning of liberals was simple and has never really changed. Freedom of the mind. Freedom of the body. Freedom of thought. Freedom to be different and think different. Why should people with guns and handcuffs take people away for an herb????

THIS is exactly what "my type" thought 45+ years ago (full disclosure...I don't like the stuff, but did in my late teens).

A liberal like myself never wavered on the issue. Never lied to our children or told anyone else what to do.

Meanwhile, the War on Drugs was making tens of millions of Americans, even many of the "best ones', bow before The Judge.

Now it is 2018. Conservatives and Republicans chant that they believe in freedom and keeping government out of things it should not be involved in. But that's simply a talking point...since entering the womb, your brain, your bedroom, etc. has been their business for a LONG time.

Without beating around the Bush or saying "but I'm not that way...I believe", can some conservatives here explain why the majority of their peers are so far behind on issues like this? I'm not talking some small loud off-the-wall segment here, but the mainstream of the Right.

Sure, they will capitulate on the issue because, in the end, I don't think they hold a moral stance on it. It was a good way to keep hippies, people of color and other populations running scared...and also a good way to fund the LE expansions.

Thoughtful opinions welcome.

It appears liberals have a different view on what Freedom means. We use the classic definition of logic, reason, progression, science, justice, equality, human rights, etc. to look at it. IMHO, Conservatives tend to define freedom otherwise. Shouting "fire" in a crowded movie house is one of them (their take on free speech). Having as many killing instruments as desired is another. Giving corporations the right to pollute more and make more profits....seems another definition of freedom on the right.

In many ways it's the same battle we fought growing up in the 60's.....that is, Power to the People (all) and We are all in this together vs. Power to large authoritarian structures (Police, Church, Corporations).
So the question becomes, How does one address a dishonest post?

Conservatives do not believe in outlawing marijuana. That's just something you made up in order to deflect from the failure of progressivism.

And the best part about your garbage post is you have the gall to put the word moral in it. Since when is it moral to steal my money for your causes? Which always fail because that's what happens when you put a bunch of progressives in charge of running others lives. They progressive philosophy is built on theft, lies and corruption. This post is a perfect example. Any wonder why it has always failed?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-20-2019 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 02-20-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I'll be the first to say the meditation, philosophy and other disciplines might help these conditions also....BUT, as a book on Pharma just stated "why the heck would someone spend years of hard work attempting things when they can take a pill?".
Just like, "why the heck would someone spend years of hard work attempting things when they can just live on welfare?"

Thanks for proving my point on why progressivism is a known failure.

Are you getting it yet?

Old 02-20-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
This is a very important point and part of the discussion.

What you see as a negative many see as a positive.

You probably get "high" when you make a big sale. You get "high" by watching dramas with lots of blood, gunshots or sex on the tube...or sports...or whatever.

LOTS of people want to go through life stoned. We spent a few weeks with Real Rastafarians in the hills of Jamaica and they definitely want to go through life stoned. Many of them had already experienced much of the world (traveled, in the military, etc.)...they decided living on the land, contemplating the meaning of life and loving everyone was a better system.
hahahaha Tons of Jamaicans Rastafarians traveling and experiencing the world in the military. hahahahahaha As if being told what to do while in another country makes one worldy and educated. hahahahaha

That's what you're basing your premise on? A bunch of stoned hayseeds?

I know weed is legal in some states but it isn't mandatory.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:53 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Partake in the "Devil's lettuce" if you want to or not. I don't care. Don't drive impaired. If you can't hold down a job, I don't want my taxes supporting you.

I do want the federal government to admit that they never had any power to pass any drug law. It took an Amendment to outlaw consumable alcohol. Why did it only take a law to outlaw drugs?

Old 02-20-2019, 07:16 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Partake in the "Devil's lettuce" if you want to or not. I don't care. Don't drive impaired. If you can't hold down a job, I don't want my taxes supporting you.
And I don't want my taxes supporting you if you can't hold down a job for any reason. You also shouldn't drive impaired, even if it's on cough medicine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies