Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 04:22 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Poor minorities. Wouldn't it just be the poor or actually low income? If you fall below certain poverty guidelines isnt there free or subsidized government housing one would be eligible for.
Well, there's a long list you can get on the bottom of to maybe-possibly get into subsidized housing someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 04:27 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
What isn't caused by racism these days. This country and the world for that matter is increasingly being populated by purely mentally ill people who write things like that article.
Back when Hillary was running, it was about sexism.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:31 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What the Dems seem to not realize of don't care to is that the LEGAL Hispanic immigrants are also adversely affected by ILLEGAL immigration.

It is not only white and black people being affected. It is everyone and it will only get worse once the Dems get back in full power and start enacting their Loony Liberal schemes.

Their fear mongering Victim Identity Politics will be our undoing.
Maybe the Democrat voters don't realize. Democrat politicians know EXACTLY what is going on.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:49 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So if racism is the reason , why did it take them so long to discover this ?

—-
In a report that treats Los Angeles’s homelessness crisis as a symptom of racism, city and county officials this week pointed to the high number of black people experiencing homelessness in Los Angeles and the need to address the disparity in order to address the crisis.
There's no evidence to indicate racism.

It only proves that a "high number of black people" are so-called "homeless."

How many are mentally ill?

How many are alcoholics or substance abusers?

How many could live with a parent or sibling, but choose not to?

What is their educational level?

How many refused to take advantage of the free education provided to them?

How many are veterans and could choose to go to a VA Domiciliary, but refuse?

Old 02-26-2019, 10:16 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There's no evidence to indicate racism.

It only proves that a "high number of black people" are so-called "homeless."

How many are mentally ill?

How many are alcoholics or substance abusers?

How many could live with a parent or sibling, but choose not to?

What is their educational level?

How many refused to take advantage of the free education provided to them?

How many are veterans and could choose to go to a VA Domiciliary, but refuse?

Yeah , exactly. Plus they are talking about historical racism. Most homeless people haven't been on the streets that long. Also at the same time these same leaders say that Los Angeles is a diverse tolerant city, so shouldn't we have a much lower amount of racism here?

Why are there so many black homeless people here in L.A , but few in the cities/states that are supposedly racist?

So many questions with this study but of course we'll never get the answers, because the answers and facts won't fit the agenda.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:24 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
What isn't caused by racism these days. This country and the world for that matter is increasingly being populated by purely mentally ill people who write things like that article.
I Caught a case of Racism last week, it only lasted for a day, unlike Robert Byrd or Reverand Wright kind where it lasts a life time

Old 02-26-2019, 10:48 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
I actually find her comments to be extremely ignorant of homelessness. The fact that they would smack such a one-dimensional label on such a complex issue strongly suggests that they are simply trying to push their own agenda, something that I find insulting as a citizen of this country, which has a major homelessness problem that demands well-thought out solutions. Here, it’s just being used as a tool. They’ve basically admitted that they only care about 40% of the homeless population of LA. Evidently, the remaining 60% can just continue to rot.

I have a hard time believing she’s actually being serious. It’s like something you hope was a joke.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:23 PM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Those seem to be the reason sited in the linked article under the "failings of systems and institutions" that are responsible for racism and homelessness.

"Reba Stevens, a member of the ad hoc committee, said that while she was homeless, she went to jail several times for petty theft crimes.

“Every time I went to jail and was released, I had nowhere to go to,” she said."
I do find that sad. Desperate people do desperate things. She didn’t commit violent crimes. They should have some kind of help for them once they’ve done their time. As it is, no one wants to hire them. If they don’t have family or some type of support network what are they going to do? They need companies to step up and agree to hire people who learn marketable skills in prison. Maybe they have some who do? I haven’t studied it, but if they do have those programs they’re not enough.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:08 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Racism, sexism, homophobic, and Antisemitism are among the favorite cards snowflake like to pull. If those are the problems, what are some practical steps to fight the problems?

Old 02-27-2019, 08:09 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I do find that sad. Desperate people do desperate things. She didn’t commit violent crimes. They should have some kind of help for them once they’ve done their time. As it is, no one wants to hire them. If they don’t have family or some type of support network what are they going to do? They need companies to step up and agree to hire people who learn marketable skills in prison. Maybe they have some who do? I haven’t studied it, but if they do have those programs they’re not enough.
While I agree prison reform is lacking in the US, this particular woman was in jail, not prison. I don't know what she did but it was petty crimes which would be possessing small amounts of drugs, shoplifting, theft, bad checks, prostitution, public drunkenness, simple assault. I'm not so sure desperation drives people to do these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies