Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 06:30 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,852,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
It damned well BETTER have been in the positive every year after that: it cost us $5 trillion to buy that 2% GDP!!!
You do realize that the massive deficit spending is continuing and is on track to get worse. Yes during the initial years of the Obama administration the deficits were over 1 trillion, but later the annual deficits fell below 500 million. During Trump's administration we are unlikely to see anything close to 500 million and far more likely to see the return of 1 trillion a year deficits. Those would be 1 trillion while the economy is doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 06:35 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,852,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The Democrat platform:

Run the Billionaires out of the country, Amazon out of NY and the Jobs out of the US...

It's better to have Green Power and companies chosen by the Govt like Solendra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpkoH4dPTdc
Manufacturing jobs are growing about the same rate under Trump as they were under Obama. There is nothing in the renegotiated NAFTA which will change that.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:45 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,358,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
An Economy the size of the US... a 3.1-3.5% growth rate is outstanding.

A better indicator of the economy is the Unemployment rate is about zero for people who actually want jobs, wages are rising, food stamps are dropping....

and Democrats are rooting for the economy to go to chit so Trump won't be successful.
So the economy was outstanding when the GDP growth rate under Obama was close to 4% then?

GDP Growth rate by quarter: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/?g...paign=fredblog

Was it outstanding when Obama left office with a unemployment rate of 4.8% (less than a percent higher than it is TODAY)?

U-3 Unemployment Rate | Portal Seven

Was it outstanding when Obama's food stamp participation numbers fell every year from 2013?

SNAP participation and costs: https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...NAPsummary.pdf

It seems to me that YOU didn't seem to think the economy was all that great when Obama left office - EVEN THOUGH HIS ECONOMIC NUMBERS WERE NOT THAT DIFFERENT FROM TRUMP'S.
WHY is that?

Ken

Old 03-04-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Manufacturing jobs are growing about the same rate under Trump as they were under Obama. There is nothing in the renegotiated NAFTA which will change that.
Yeah, some economic numbers HAVE improved under Trump (partly because GOP folks FINALLY decided to go all in on their support for the economy now that a GOP guy is charge - and partly because there was already upward economic momentum in many areas of the economy when Trump came into office). That improvement in the economy under Trump has been pretty marginal though - and SOME parts of the economy (the housing market, company profits, etc) are slowing down, while other areas have flat lined (new car/truck sales) and it looks like those downward trends are likely to strengthen. Some of this downturn is DIRECTLY tied to Trump's trade wars and interest rate changes while others are just part of a broader worldwide economic slowdown.

Ken

Old 03-04-2019, 11:12 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,916,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Did you expect it to happen for FREE?

Virtually EVERY aspect of the economy was falling apart when Bush left office. It was the largest economic crises and deepest collapse since the Great Depression - a HUGE MESS.

THAT is what Obama had to deal with.

Ken
A big mess that the government made worse. (Of course).
I feel like we all should at least have gotten a T-shirt out of the deal. And you know what it would say, don't you???........
"My Government Spent FIVE TRILLION DOLLARS........and all we got was this lousy t-shirt and a 2% GDP"

Old 03-04-2019, 11:15 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,916,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
You do realize that the massive deficit spending is continuing and is on track to get worse. Yes during the initial years of the Obama administration the deficits were over 1 trillion, but later the annual deficits fell below 500 million. During Trump's administration we are unlikely to see anything close to 500 million and far more likely to see the return of 1 trillion a year deficits. Those would be 1 trillion while the economy is doing well.
I'm a Republican, and blame for this fact (you are correct) lies squarely at the feet of GOP Senators and Representatives. I ESPECIALLY would like to single out my own state's Susan Collins, who never met a dollar that she didn't want to spend.
Disgraceful.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
A big mess that the government made worse. (Of course).
I feel like we all should at least have gotten a T-shirt out of the deal. And you know what it would say, don't you???........
"My Government Spent FIVE TRILLION DOLLARS........and all we got was this lousy t-shirt and a 2% GDP"
Ignorant nonsense.

Ken

Old 03-28-2019, 07:24 AM

20,881 posts, read 9,579,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
2018 GDP growth by quarter:
Q1- 2.2%
Q2- 4.2%
Q3- 3.4%
Q4- 2.6%

Average- 3.1%

Good year for the US!
Q4 GDP growth has now been revised down to 2.2%

And as I noted earlier in the thread, the official y-o-y number is 2.9%, and still is with the revision.

Q4 GDP Revised Down to 2.2% Annual Rate
Quote:
Real gross domestic product (GDP) increased at an annual rate of 2.2 percent in the fourth quarter of 2018, according to the "third" estimate released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis. In the third quarter, real GDP increased 3.4 percent.

This puts 2018 annual GDP at 2.86%, and Q4-over-Q4 GDP at 2.97%

Old 03-28-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Q4 GDP growth has now been revised down to 2.2%

And as I noted earlier in the thread, the official y-o-y number is 2.9%, and still is with the revision.

Q4 GDP Revised Down to 2.2% Annual Rate
Yeah, it's still a decent number - but no better than Obama did - and remember how all the RWNJs on this site went on and on about how bad the economy was under Obama?

Ken

Old 03-28-2019, 07:32 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,433,845 times
Individual 1 inherited a strong economy, President Obama did not. Obama had a lot more to fix and resolve. Thank you, President Obama, for your hard work in restoring our economy especially the auto industry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies