Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:24 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times

Advertisements

My opinion:

Millenials are comfortable leaning on each other throughout their educational years.
They have been indoctrinated to cling to each other as worker bees rather than separate
and focus on successful singularity of hierarchy.
Once school is over and thrusted into the real world of eat or
be eaten they lack lone survival skills and are promptly consumed.
They cower and return to the comforts of home and wonder in amazement how the misfits
they sat next to in class , the ones that never mingled, the ones who remained focused on
their studies, the ones who were mocked as being nerdy became successful. They don't look
in the mirror for failure while cowering in mommy and daddy's basement but choose to blame
the boomers for their inequities.

What is your opinion?

Curious minds would like to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 10:28 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
So let's be clear -- that age group is 24-38.

They aren't in failure mode.

i don't think the unemployment rate is significantly higher for that age group than other.

I don't know of any millenial living with Mom and Dad.

Do you?

Old 02-09-2019, 10:31 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
What are you talking about OP?

Old 02-09-2019, 10:31 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
High student loan debt affects all aspects of their financial health. Wages stagnated while costs inflated. Result? High col, low income, lots of debt.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:34 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
High student loan debt affects all aspects of their financial health. Wages stagnated while costs inflated. Result? High col, low income, lots of debt.
It doesn't cost that much money to go to the local community college while you work part time and live at home with your parents.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:36 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It doesn't cost that much money to go to the local community college while you work part time and live at home with your parents.
Sure but 2 years of that are still at university (approx 13k/year for tuition only at my local public U). And the studious types OP discuss probably went to grad school (up to 30k/year), with loans that have interest rates approaching 10%APR.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:38 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,568,595 times
I would say that that is a sweeping generalization. I teach at a private university, and some of my students bury me with what they've done at the same point in my life (I was born in 1970).

Old 02-09-2019, 10:38 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Some of these questions bring up a larger one in my mind...that is, does the OP read, listen and watch what has been happening in this country? I say that because - while it was happening - it was quite clear. I heard regular interviews with people who were filling jobs WAY beneath their capabilities.

In short...here are a few items which may have had some bearing on that generation...

1. 9/11 and endless wars. If I am not wrong, many of those people (millions) were sent over there. In addition, many were young and therefore impressionable and subjected to the great fears and paranoia of their elders and society in general.

2. The Great Recession - there were constant stories and interviews about the youth who were in college or grad school at the time. They were waiting tables - AFTER they got their degrees. The Great Recession hollowed out the economy like nothing else in our lifetime.

3. To a lesser degree....they perhaps grew up in the era when it first became evident that the next generation (in general) was not going to do better than the last. No one "one parent works" households, no more pensions and high wages, no more pleasure boating for the middle class, etc.

"In March 2014, the Pew Research Center issued a report about how "millennials in adulthood" are "detached from institutions and networked with friends." The report said millennials are somewhat more upbeat than older adults about America's future, with 49% of millennials saying the country's best years are ahead though they're the first in the modern era to have higher levels of student loan debt and unemployment."

So, it would appear they are doing exactly what many people preach....detaching from "institutions" and valuing friendships.....but not only did the wars and recession hurt them, but a double whammy was thrown by "predatory capitalism" to indebt them for the rest of their lives...for the horrible crime of wanting to get ahead.

I think that covers most of it.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
My opinion:

Millenials are comfortable leaning on each other throughout their educational years.
They have been indoctrinated to cling to each other as worker bees rather than separate
and focus on successful singularity of hierarchy.
Once school is over and thrusted into the real world of eat or
be eaten they lack lone survival skills and are promptly consumed.
They cower and return to the comforts of home and wonder in amazement how the misfits
they sat next to in class , the ones that never mingled, the ones who remained focused on
their studies, the ones who were mocked as being nerdy became successful. They don't look
in the mirror for failure while cowering in mommy and daddy's basement but choose to blame
the boomers for their inequities.

What is your opinion?

Curious minds would like to know.
My opinion is that in your arrogance you don't have the faintest clue about what you are talking about. Some millennials are nearly 40 years old.

Also how do you figure those successful people they sat next to in class could be anything other than millennials?

Old 02-09-2019, 10:49 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
My opinion is that in your arrogance you don't have the faintest clue about what you are talking about. Some millennials are nearly 40 years old.

Also how do you figure those successful people they sat next to in class could be anything other than millennials?
Perhaps the most arrogant have the least to be so about??

I can understand the quest for knowledge but at the same time if one has "checked out" of the real world for many decades, it's unlikely they will catch up by asking opinions on a forum.

All the info is out there. But learning doesn't attract negative attention and posting "get off my lawn" may.

I think people need to think and research before they query....like "don't ask me anything which is obvious or that you can easily find out for yourself" (I say that as an educator).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies