Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 03:03 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,154,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I missed in the discussion where it's going to have any practical application if businesses insist on outsourcing this out to the lowest bidder?

What good is it to know how when someone else is going to be tasked with doing it? Are these students supposed to be interested in moving to some Asian country to get a job?
As someone in the field, I'm telling you that you have no idea what you're talking about. The group I work for constantly has open reqs. Even offering ~$120k for new grads and over $150k for just 2-3 years experience, we can't fill them. It's so bad right now, we're struggling to even get applicants. At best, I'll get maybe one resume per week.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:06 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
As someone in the field, I'm telling you that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Which is why I am asking questions. Why the attitude? Is that not what you are supposed to do?

Quote:
The group I work for constantly has open reqs. Even offering ~$120k for new grads and over $150k for just 2-3 years experience, we can't fill them. It's so bad right now, we're struggling to even get applicants. At best, I'll get maybe one resume per week.
I'm glad to see you aren't outsourcing. Why?

Old 03-08-2019, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Which is why I am asking questions. Why the attitude? Is that not what you are supposed to do?
Are you kidding? Go back and look at your first question. That's where the attitude started.

Quote:
I'm glad to see you aren't outsourcing. Why?
Actually, we are outsourcing. But only because our US offices can't keep up with the workload. And their pay is not far from that of the US engineers. We'll even sponsor their visas and pay to relocate them to the US if they're willing to move. Most aren't interested.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,304,530 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? Go back and look at your first question. That's where the attitude started.
The vast majority isn't outsourced?

Quote:
Actually, we are outsourcing. But only because our US offices can't keep up with the workload. And their pay is not far from that of the US engineers. We'll even sponsor their visas and pay to relocate them to the US if they're willing to move. Most aren't interested.
Seems to me that you need to start a training program.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:27 AM

388 posts, read 201,645 times
Quote:
its not really a question if it gets answered twice and youre still bothering someone with it.

how long are you going to troll the thread? you should not learn how to code-- if you want to put your own talents to good use, you should work in interrogation. its sort of like asking questions, except they go about it the way youre doing it. ideally, it would be good if you learned. but someone has to interrogate people for a living instead, because of course the two are mutually exclusive and schools only job is career training, not everyday skills that result in a more literate and well-functioning society.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:33 AM

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Seems to me that you need to start a training program.
There already is one. It's called college. But most US students pick fluff majors.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:37 AM

45,539 posts, read 60,771,442 times
In a few years it would just become one more class you guys could ***** about being "dumbed down" since fully half of the students, at a minimum, don't have the cognitive ability to do it going in, nor will they ever have the ability.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:38 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,709,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Part of my job is coding, and a few people there talk about teaching it to their kids. My boss who’s also a professor says that coding is a valuable skill to have these days.

Forgot where but I did see a vid about China teaching kids at an early age to code.
They all ready do!

Grandson's all three know how to do "coding". 17,12 and 8 years old all being taught coding in school.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:43 AM

388 posts, read 201,645 times
Quote:
There already is one. It's called college.
basic was originally developed for college students, but it was so easy that it spread to high schools and even earlier schools.

logo was (and is) even taught to younger students. there are countless training programmes online. the main difference that schools could make would be with regards to exposure.

there are even studies that people identify as "computer people" or "non-computer people" by age 10, so (if i could find the study, that would be nice) that suggests that teaching earlier would increase the success rate.

my problem with schools is that they seem to create a visceral fear of learning itself. by the time people have made it out alive, they associate learning with trauma, or something. whatever they can possibly do to get out of it, theyll do. i firmly believe school itself is at least partly to blame.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:48 AM

26,579 posts, read 15,145,042 times
I argued this to my school about 8 years ago - or at least getting a serious coding class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies