Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 10:51 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
What are the names? You said conservatives are pushing for it. Name the names.
You stink at this.
Here is a list of 8 former chairs of ALEC who support it.

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/...l-popular-vote

Old 03-22-2019, 12:32 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Rural areas are shrinking and urban areas are growing. At some point, the percentages are going to be too large to deny. Should 35% of the voters be able to control 65% of the population? What about 25%? Trump supporters keep threatening that urban populations will "dictate" except that's where the populations are. They are saying they would rather have Wheeling, West Virginia dictate and that is much worse.

It's just a matter of time before the percentage difference is too large and the Electoral College is replaced.

The fastest-shrinking cities in the U.S. are revealed as Americans abandon smaller cities in favor of major metropolises that offer more job opportunities
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ffer-jobs.html
So you think the senate should change too?

Old 03-22-2019, 01:50 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So essentially Colorado is giving up its sovereignty and the ability of their people to have a voice in Presidential elections. They are allowing Los Angeles and New York City metro areas to dictate to them. This is what happens when you let the Front Range run the state. What a horror show CO has become politically.
Yes. They do all this to, hopefully, guarantee the Dems will always be in power. Everyone should be frightened.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:22 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Despite the OP not seeing any of the threads, there have been 69 CD threads where the National Popular Vote Compact has been mentioned, going all the way back to April of 2008.

The 69 threads have been in P&OC, Elections, Great Debates, various state treads, U.S. Territory threads, and the D.C. thread.

About two weeks before this passed in Colorado, Pogue Mahone started a thread re feelings about the NPVC in New Hampshire.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:32 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
It's comments like this that remind me of just how utterly ignorant today's leftist have become. Please be joking.
It's a running 'joke'.

There is even a user name that reads some thing like 'Waldo Kitty is a paid troll'.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:41 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
So you think the senate should change too?
I would be very open to it. The problem with the Electoral College is it allows a small minority to control a large majority. As rural areas become less populated and urban areas become more populated, the percentage difference is going to be huge. 25% of the population should not control the country or the courts.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:01 AM

Quote:
I would be very open to it. The problem with the Electoral College is it allows a small minority to control a large majority. As rural areas become less populated and urban areas become more populated, the percentage difference is going to be huge. 25% of the population should not control the country or the courts.
I think there is a lot wrong there (but it's not worth debating), but I'd be interested to know if given you support the abandonment of the great compromise, would you support the ability of the smaller States to secede without barriers? Given you don't support the fundamental principle for the establishment of the United States, and are happy to break the deal, I imagine you would support unfettered secession?

Old 03-22-2019, 03:08 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
I think there is a lot wrong there (but it's not worth debating), but I'd be interested to know if given you support the abandonment of the great compromise, would you support the ability of the smaller States to secede without barriers? Given you don't support the fundamental principle for the establishment of the United States, and are happy to break the deal, I imagine you would support unfettered secession?
Absolutely, and not just smaller states. The West has more in common with Canada than the South. So does New England. I support the states being allowed to secede or regionalize and develop their own policies, trade agreements, etc. I think the Electoral College gives much too much power to the minority population over the majority population. Absolutely yes.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Absolutely, and not just smaller states. The West has more in common with Canada than the South. So does New England. I support the states being allowed to secede or regionalize and develop their own policies, trade agreements, etc. I think the Electoral College gives much too much power to the minority population over the majority population. Absolutely yes.
Yes I shouldn't have qualified with "smaller" States, it should of course be all States. As an unaffected but interested observer, I hope it is part of the conversation in the unlikely event of this push to end the EC is successful.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Despite the OP not seeing any of the threads, there have been 69 CD threads where the National Popular Vote Compact has been mentioned, going all the way back to April of 2008.

The 69 threads have been in P&OC, Elections, Great Debates, various state treads, U.S. Territory threads, and the D.C. thread.

About two weeks before this passed in Colorado, Pogue Mahone started a thread re feelings about the NPVC in New Hampshire.
I never said it was a new thing, but it seems many here think it is some kind of liberal conspiracy. It could help, or hurt either party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies