Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 03:20 PM

303 posts, read 111,305 times

Advertisements

Which is why they used to limit their use in hospitals only to cancer and burn wards and while standing relatively motionless over tables in operating theaters for a few hours at most a few times a week. Uh,...until now in 2020 governed by neurotics.

"But in filtering those particles, N95 masks can also make it harder to breathe. Based on literature and confirmed by our measurements, N95 masks are estimated to reduce oxygen intake by anywhere from 5 percent to 20 percent. That’s significant, even for a healthy person. It can cause dizziness and lightheadedness. For healthy people, these side effects are temporary and usually not an issue. But if you are severely ill and are continuously wearing an N95 mask for several hours at a time, it can damage the lungs. For a patient in respiratory distress, it can even be life threatening."
https://news.stanford.edu/2020/04/14...19-face-masks/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 03:51 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Stanford University: Ordinary surgical suite N95 masks "reduce O2 intake by anywhere from 5% to 20%."

Breathe harder.

Any other problems you'd like me to solve for you?

Old 07-18-2020, 04:32 PM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
I used to use HEPA filters on my vacuum cleaners, but I switched to regular paper filters a long time ago.

I hate using paper filters on my coffee pot, cause it takes too much of the flavor out; course I get a double system of cleaning the water I drink. First it's through the grounds, then through the paper.

I filter coronas through tobacco sticks, cremating the little bastards at the intake end.

Are HEPA masks available??

Oh, never mind.

https://www.amazon.com/hepa-filter-f...ce+mask&page=2

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...d-coronavirus/

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 07-18-2020 at 04:43 PM..

Old 07-18-2020, 04:34 PM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Stanford University: Ordinary surgical suite N95 masks "reduce O2 intake by anywhere from 5% to 20%."

Breathe harder.

Any other problems you'd like me to solve for you?

I read that Vitamin B12 increases oxygen utilization.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:48 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundstar View Post
Which is why they used to limit their use in hospitals only to cancer and burn wards and while standing relatively motionless over tables in operating theaters for a few hours at most a few times a week. Uh,...until now in 2020 governed by neurotics.

"But in filtering those particles, N95 masks can also make it harder to breathe. Based on literature and confirmed by our measurements, N95 masks are estimated to reduce oxygen intake by anywhere from 5 percent to 20 percent. That’s significant, even for a healthy person. It can cause dizziness and lightheadedness. For healthy people, these side effects are temporary and usually not an issue. But if you are severely ill and are continuously wearing an N95 mask for several hours at a time, it can damage the lungs. For a patient in respiratory distress, it can even be life threatening."
https://news.stanford.edu/2020/04/14...19-face-masks/
No one is recommending that the general public use N95 masks. Those that do are not wearing them for extended periods.

For healthcare workers at significant risk because they are exposed to COVID-19 patients throughout their work day, the benefit of using the mask outweighs the risk.

Anyone who is concerned can get a PO2 meter and see if his mask is causing a significant drop in oxygen levels.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:50 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,805 times
N95 masks are used by doctors and nurses. These masks aren't generally used by people that regular everyday people for things like shopping and going out in public. N95s are in short supply and directed to hospitals and medical related facilities. Some people can find them on the internet if they want them.

People shopping have masks that are much easier to breathe when wearing.

Anti-maskers generally wouldn't want to wear the N95 if they are reluctantly going to wear a mask. Lots of other mask types are easier to put on/remove and easier to breathe for people that really don't want to wear a mask, but are doing it only because there is a mask mandate

Old 07-18-2020, 04:59 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No one is recommending that the general public use N95 masks. Those that do are not wearing them for extended periods.

For healthcare workers at significant risk because they are exposed to COVID-19 patients throughout their work day, the benefit of using the mask outweighs the risk.

Anyone who is concerned can get a PO2 meter and see if his mask is causing a significant drop in oxygen levels.
Sounds good to me.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:01 PM

17,427 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Market Maven View Post
Better to have oxygen deprivation and a little brain damage and make a sacrifice for your country than to mess around with this very lethal virus.
I think "very lethal" might be the overstatement of the year.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:05 PM

20,115 posts, read 9,032,117 times
have they linked the wearing of those N-95 masks, which do restrict breathing, with heart attacks?

Old 07-18-2020, 05:18 PM

303 posts, read 111,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Market Maven View Post
Better to have oxygen deprivation and a little brain damage and make a sacrifice for your country than to mess around with this very lethal virus.
There's nothing lethal about this fake pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies