Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 04:05 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,461,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Good news

Of course, get ready for the bs moaning about "we can't find enough qualified people".
I am an actual hiring manager for a technical team in Silicon Valley. I put my job postings out for the whole public to see, American and otherwise. I've been doing this for three years. Believe me when I say that I am only finding H1Bs who pass our technical tests. I had one qualified white American in the mix once who later dropped out for personal reasons. I am paying these people like $150K base.

So you tell me where the qualified Americans are for the tools we use and why I can't get them to apply..? It would be a while hell of a lot simpler for me; you would not believe the risks and delays and hoops I have to jump through with Visa issues. But H1Bs are the ones applying for my jobs with the skill sets I need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 04:11 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,040,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
BigDGeek who posts here and in the Unemployment forum is not low-skilled either and has had the same issues you're describing.

Hopefully, she'll weigh in.
With some liberal arts degree, you can learn to programme and be an expert at that. People may know SQL and the dialects, but can they move to a different technology altogether? Good Computer Engineers are asked to take a variety of roles from development, QA, BA, support and every BS as possible. With minimal notice and own training.

Why would businesses want to pay 60$ per hour salary and benefits when the comparable quality of work can be done in 30$ per hour by some "loser" in Bangadesh or India?

Old 04-09-2019, 04:20 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Why would businesses want to pay 60$ per hour salary and benefits when the comparable quality of work can be done in 30$ per hour by some "loser" in Bangadesh or India?
Then we are not talking about H1B, but offshoring.

Lets hope this does not lead to companies sending jobs to India, because that would definitely make things worse. Not that is hasn't been happening already. I worked for a company who sent 95% of their US based jobs to India.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:24 PM

932 posts, read 544,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Then we are not talking about H1B, but offshoring.

Lets hope this does not lead to companies sending jobs to India, because that would definitely make things worse. Not that is hasn't been happening already. I worked for a company who sent 95% of their US based jobs to India.

Not just India, jobs are moving at a rapid pace to Canada and Mexico too.
https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/...s-a-contender/

Old 04-09-2019, 06:16 PM

22,484 posts, read 12,022,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I am an actual hiring manager for a technical team in Silicon Valley. I put my job postings out for the whole public to see, American and otherwise. I've been doing this for three years. Believe me when I say that I am only finding H1Bs who pass our technical tests. I had one qualified white American in the mix once who later dropped out for personal reasons. I am paying these people like $150K base.

So you tell me where the qualified Americans are for the tools we use and why I can't get them to apply..? It would be a while hell of a lot simpler for me; you would not believe the risks and delays and hoops I have to jump through with Visa issues. But H1Bs are the ones applying for my jobs with the skill sets I need.
What, exactly, are these jobs that you claim you can't find Americans to do them?

And, why can't you all find someone who is experienced in IT who could receive specific training?

Is your company willing to pay relocation costs?

Have you reached out to local colleges that offer degrees in the field and attempt to recruit recent grads?

Also, I have to guess that $150k doesn't go very far in Silicon Valley, does it?

Old 04-09-2019, 06:58 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,505,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.R.I.O.N View Post
Awesome news! Thank goodness this is happening FINALLY! Glad college graduates should be able to find more jobs now thanks to this.
Not Americans.

https://www.latestly.com/india/news/...ls-742783.html

advantage would be given to foreign workers with high-level degrees from American universities.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:45 AM

17,014 posts, read 12,607,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
We can't find qualified people in the high skilled areas. That's not BS. But that has nothing to do with firms abusing the H1B system to bring in thousands of low quality individuals at low cost. And that's what has been happening. These firms have been bringing in thousands of low skilled people that don't bring value, other than cheap labor, to the nation. So it's great that it's dropping and hopefully just coming to an end.

For the high skilled areas where we do have a shortage, the H1B system works well.
A $125K a year floor would do wonders to separate real need from staffing $95K a year jobs with $60K Indians.

In the long run, these companies will offshore. The purpose of a corporation is to create money for those in control. Those in control do not care if the US ends up looking like the Hunger Games as long as they are the ones that are rich.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,311,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Thanks, BigD. So it sounds like (as it always does when I speak to people in your position) that companies could find plenty of competent American's to do the job....they just don't want to.

But I doubt people will stop lying about that.

Nope, they never will. They're not going to stop until this is the United States of Andhra. Even people from other areas of India make fun of people from Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. They're really the problem in the industry; the Indians I work with who are from other areas (primarily Mumbai and New Delhi) are just fine. They're smart, competent, and as good as Americans are. Unfortunately, they are vastly outnumbered by their Telugu-speaking counterparts from Hyderabad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Been in the software development world for 20 years. We would love to hire more locals and not deal with the hassle of sponsoring visas. Companies I've been at didn't pay them any less than a local. There just aren't enough kids out there getting Computer Science degrees. Which is mind boggling to me with how connected everything is these days. Easy to crack 6 figures after just a few years of experience, not lowballing anyone.
You don't need a degree in computer science to do this work. Some of the best technical people I've ever worked with had degrees in accounting, history, English, etc. I myself have a degree in a liberal arts discipline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The ones I work with actually are highly skilled. Our software is based mostly on older programming languages, so it won't be easy to find qualified locals, but I am sure it wont be impossible either.

If your employees suck, then maybe there is something off in the screening / hiring process.
Don't look at me, I'm not involved in any of the hiring decisions. The developers have a completely different reporting structure than my team does (we're the server admin/db admin/dev ops side) and we don't even get to interview candidates or screen resumes.

I would have rejected all but two of our developers. They're truly awful.

It shouldn't be hard to find locals to do this work, but the model here is to hire as few FTEs as possible and farm the work out to third-party contractors. This being Dallas/Fort Worth, the big Indian firms all have a strong presence here and there are literally dozens of smaller ones, highly H1B dependent, who aggressively pursue subcontracts from those big firms. Once they've built a relationship with a particular company, you'll find that they flood the department with fresh-off-the-boat unqualified workers who require extensive "knowledge transfers" before they can produce anything of value. They require close and constant supervision and are usually unable to add much value...but they're cheap...so the people in charge keep them around because they know the handful of Americans (and qualified immigrants) still at the company will keep cleaning up the messes they make.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:56 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,040,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Nope, they never will. They're not going to stop until this is the United States of Andhra. Even people from other areas of India make fun of people from Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. They're really the problem in the industry; the Indians I work with who are from other areas (primarily Mumbai and New Delhi) are just fine. They're smart, competent, and as good as Americans are. Unfortunately, they are vastly outnumbered by their Telugu-speaking counterparts from Hyderabad.

You don't need a degree in computer science to do this work. Some of the best technical people I've ever worked with had degrees in accounting, history, English, etc. I myself have a degree in a liberal arts discipline.

Don't look at me, I'm not involved in any of the hiring decisions. The developers have a completely different reporting structure than my team does (we're the server admin/db admin/dev ops side) and we don't even get to interview candidates or screen resumes.

It shouldn't be hard to find locals to do this work, but the model here is to hire as few FTEs as possible and farm the work out to third-party contractors. This being Dallas/Fort Worth, the big Indian firms all have a strong presence here and there are literally dozens of smaller ones, highly H1B dependent, who aggressively pursue subcontracts from those big firms. Once they've built a relationship with a particular company, you'll find that they flood the department with fresh-off-the-boat unqualified workers who require extensive "knowledge transfers" before they can produce anything of value. They require close and constant supervision and are usually unable to add much value...but they're cheap...so the people in charge keep them around because they know the handful of Americans (and qualified immigrants) still at the company will keep cleaning up the messes they make.
With so much animosity, how do you put up a different face in front of them??

Old 04-10-2019, 01:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,635,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

And this is the way they make sure no qualified Americans are hired. I knew someone in an F500 HR position who was told not to pass along any IT resumes that might be costly to the company. She knew what this meant and those in IT just figured they couldn't find qualified Americans. Not the case - the hiring process was determined in HR as a result of direction from people much higher in the organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies