Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 01:15 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
As a Liberal I agree with Conservatives that the other side has whiny crybabies. As in both sides have whiny crybabies and special snowflakes.
This.

I also agree with the left on some of their desires to see a cleaner planet, (but they have to be reasonable, not pie in the sky fantasies - I don't know anyone who wants a dirtier planet, the disagreement arises in how it's done), and definitely just about anything regarding the welfare of animals...not everything, but most.

I'm going to give you yet another one: I also agree with them...or at least what they used to stand for...that we don't need to be meddling in the Middle East or any other country based on the fact that the country might have resources we want. Example: Back in the day, the left was always protesting, "No blood for oil." They were right. It should never have happened, and because it did happen, we found ourselves with a bigger problem on our hands. And while it may be "defeated" now, it doesn't mean it won't come back. Essentially, I'm tired of us always fighting the wars that Israel wants us to fight. Enough. They were able to handle those countries in a 6 day war...let them do their own fighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 01:19 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
If that's all you can agree with, what's the point?

I'm liberal and progressive, voted for Sanders in the primary. I agree on some of what Trump says, though most is just rediculous. However, I agree that the FBI and CIA are a bunch of crooks. I agree that Russia is not at present our enemy. I agree the main stream media does run a lot of fake news in deference to their sponsors and owners. It seems a lot of liberals like Bill Maher have lost their minds and now are for anything that is anti Trump, even if they were against it in the past. Now the FBI and CIA are our honorable protectors. Now the cold war ought to be revived and Russia is our sworn enemy. The craziest of all is saying Bush Jr. was better than Trump. Bush Jr. started a 15 year war and crashed the economy and let New Orleans rot after Katrina. Trump hasn't done anything. Compared to Bush Jr. that's a good thing. It's like saying the crazy homeless guy who craps in the street and argues with himself is worse than a well dressed and polite serial killer. It's what people do that counts, not what they say they will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
The purpose of this thread is to take a step back and state one or more things you agree with the other side or do/don't do that is contradictory to your side of the political spectrum. I would prefer that this is a non-debate thread. This thread should show that we on either side don't belong to the borg collective. And please no sniping.

I'll start.

Liberal here. I agree with Mike Pence regarding not spending time alone with a woman other than his wife. In my case, it is not for religious reason. I simply want to avoid any misunderstanding at all. Even in the gym. If I see a woman alone in the stretching room, I will go stretch somewhere else.

Last edited by bobspez; 04-07-2019 at 01:28 PM..

Old 04-07-2019, 01:32 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Conservative Republican here with some liberal leanings, depending on the issue. For liberals that have sour attitudes towards corporate welfare in terms of copyright extensions, copyright restorations, or the like, I share that sour attitude with you.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Liberal here. I agree on one conservative point: AOC. As much as I admire her chutzpah, she is too inexperienced and unpragmatic to be running off at the mouth as much as she does. I would like for her to get off my lawn and concentrate her efforts on the district that elected her.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:39 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
I'm a constitutional conservative and registered Republican, though I despise both main political parties.

I agree with Democrats on the need to raise the minimum wage, though I'm not sure $15 and hr is the right amount. For far too long, the working class has been screwed over by big business and denied a larger share of profits that were often made possible by increased worker productivity. And, contrary to right wing claims that increasing the minimum wage would lead to economic and employment doom, this has not been the case when actually put into practice. This is because the current minimum wage isn't a true fair market wage (its too low), so there is more room to grow before it would start to have a negative impact on employment figures.

I also agree with Democrats on the need for full and equal rights to members of the LGBT community, even if I don't agree that our Constitution guarantees things like gay marriage . . . I want it passed at the legislative level.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:42 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Conservative Republican here. I believe that no one needs a military assault weapon unless they are in the military. I don't think that banning guns completely makes sense because then law abiding citizens who would never willingly use a gun against another human being but use them for hunting or, worst case scenario, as a last resort method of self defense against a criminal, would obey the law while criminals would still have them, just like illegal drugs. However, why does your average citizen recreational gun user need a military caliber weapon?

I also cringe when I see different groups holding gun and knife shows. I just don't get the obsession with weapons in this country.

Last edited by canudigit; 04-07-2019 at 03:57 PM..

Old 04-07-2019, 03:44 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
I agree to disagree with the other side generally.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:49 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
That strong social ties are the key to well-being and that it’s important to foster cultural literacy in newcomers.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:50 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
I'm a moderate Democrat but have voted for both parties depending on the politician. Mostly locally - because I voted for Mark Kirk more than once.

I agree that the loons on the far left and SJW's create a lot of problems.
I agree we need to build a wall and beef up border security.
I agree that while I can't stand the guy, Trump isn't Hitler, he's not racist and he's not trying to keep brown people out of the country.
I agree that some elected Dems sound insane.

On another note - anyone who refers to Trump as tRump or Individual One or any other name sounds as sophomoric as those who used Shrillary, Barry, Hussein, and Shrub to describe other politicians. Why people choose to sound like they're twelve years old is a mystery to me.

I wish people on both sides did a better job of hearing themselves and being honest about their own politicians instead of automatically resorting to a knee jerk defense of them.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:58 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
I'm a slightly left-leaning Independent but I agree on a few right-leaning policies. Our immigration system is broken, for us and those who wish to immigrate as well as those who illegally enter. I also want the wall and more.

I agree that we pay useless tax for things that have no business being shared. Ridiculous waste. I don't agree with paying so much foreign aid when we can't afford a shared healthcare system of our own.

But, I'm pro-choice, want our healthcare system to be non-profit, and accept gay marriage. I'm not religious at all and believe it should be separate from our policies completely. Those Rep. that spout out their God-fearing B.S. are embarrassing so I don't align with them.

I also left the Dems long ago because the most vocal of them are so ignorant I didn't want to be aligned with their rants. It's just embarrassing to watch them on attack mode.

A lot of posters assume I'm a conservative Trump supporter because of this. lol I was a Bernie supporter but we will see if I do this time around. I'm on the fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies