Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 02:00 PM

29,531 posts, read 22,762,892 times

Advertisements

More snowflakes can't allow a student to pick who she wants to write about.

LI mom says daughter couldn't use President Trump for hero proje

Quote:
A Lake Ronkomkoma mother claims her daughter was not allowed to have President Donald Trump as her hero for a class assignment.

When sixth-graders at Samoset Middle School were assigned to pick a hero on whom they would write a report, 11-year-old Bella Moscato said her choice was a no-brainer.

"Donald Trump is my hero," she says.

The 45th U.S. president has been Bella's idol since she was 8 years old, which is why she dressed up as Trump for a third-grade class project. But Bella says when she told her sixth-grade teacher that Trump was her choice for the hero project, the teacher nixed the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 02:09 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,387,059 times
Teacher needs a slap.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:11 PM

52,803 posts, read 34,700,369 times
> Mom says daughter couldn't use President Trump for hero project

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
So what....

> Mom says daughter couldn't use President Obama for hero project

sliverbox: it's an outrage!! racism!!

Old 04-08-2019, 02:17 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,273,456 times
And the school says that's false, and she's doing her project on Trump.

Moving on.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:17 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,602,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
More snowflakes can't allow a student to pick who she wants to write about.
The kid could go ahead and write an essay and send it to the local newspaper as a letter to the editor and get a whole lot more notice.

But, yeah...

As much as I dislike tRump, I think the teacher should have kept her personal preferences out of it.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:49 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,618,939 times
Default 6th Grader Told She Couldn't Do Trump as Her Hero For Project - Superintendent Claims in Statement That This Isn't True

LI mom says daughter couldn't use President Trump for hero proje

Eleven year old Bella Moscato lives in Lake Ronkonkoma, NY (on Long Island).

She's a 6th grader at Samoset Middle School.

Trump is her hero.

He has been for 3 years.

When she was in the 3rd grade, she dressed up as Trump to give a report on Trump.

Re the current assignment in her 6th grade class, Bella says "she (the teacher) said that I wasn't allowed to do Donald Trump because he spreads negativity and says bad stuff about women".

The television reporter said that Bella told her that her teacher made that comment in front of another teacher and students in the class, and that the teacher told her to pick another hero.

There is an embedded video in the link that includes a printed version onscreen of the Superintendent's statement.

I think Bella is nuts for having Trump as her hero, but I'll bet Bella is telling the truth, which would make the Superintendent's statement a lie.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:55 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,712,004 times
Sad that parents often force their children to do this stuff.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:06 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Sad that parents often force their children to do this stuff.
While it is clear she repeating things likely said by mom and I am positive mom is who is stirring the pot, that particular child is not being forced to do anything. She clearly like Trump and does not seem to mind at all talking to the reporter. I do agree I also get tired of these parent driven media outrages.

Sadly, I absolutely believe the teacher said what the kid claims about Trump. I am sure there is plenty of backpedaling going on by the teacher, with lots of “she just misunderstood what I said” thrown in. I am also sure the teacher now more than adequately understands not to have a repeat of something like this, as well as the message being sent far and wide in the school/district that repeats will not be tolerated.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drungus View Post
This is very simple. If she isn't being banned from giving a report on "Trump Is My Hero" then she can indeed give said report.
So you don't find it disturbing that a teacher would make such a comment?

As long as someone made enough of a stink so that the end result is the same as if nothing had been said then it's 'nothing to see here...move along' eh?

I don't like Trump, but I not only think any edict re a hero is wrong, I also think that any discouragement re a choice is also wrong.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
While it is clear she repeating things likely said by mom and I am positive mom is who is stirring the pot, that particular child is not being forced to do anything. She clearly like Trump and does not seem to mind at all talking to the reporter. I do agree I also get tired of these parent driven media outrages.

Sadly, I absolutely believe the teacher said what the kid claims about Trump. I am sure there is plenty of backpedaling going on by the teacher, with lots of “she just misunderstood what I said” thrown in. I am also sure the teacher now more than adequately understands not to have a repeat of something like this, as well as the message being sent far and wide in the school/district that repeats will not be tolerated.
^^^^^ The bolded.

I think it's a given that a mother influences her daughter's thoughts, but I also think there is a difference between a kid being a 'forced, pressured, parrot' of a parents views, and a kid genuinely liking what her mother likes and having that come through in something she is choosing to do. I think it's the latter with Bella.

A friend of mine who was born and raised in Lake Ronkonkoma. She later moved back to the area after changing careers and becoming an RN (she now lives and works in Florida). Given my friend's personality, and things she has said to me about the area, I don't think that the behavior from the mother is an anomaly that is foreign to the people at the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies