Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 02:17 PM

37,128 posts, read 41,330,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My SIL had shingles at 32. My older daughter at 38. Too young to be vaccinated. My husband had shingles despite being vaccinated for it. He went to work with it on his back wearing a shirt. Who knew?

My SIL had it on his back. He's a NYC Teacher and went to work with it; again wearing a shirt. Who knew? He also had a Newborn son. His doctor said to wear a shirt (rash on his back) around his son and wash his hands before holding baby. Breathing the same air was not going to give the baby chicken pox. Doctor also said once the rash was crusted over it was no longer contagious for chicken pox.

My daughter had it all over her face. Her's did not look like their's. It looked like acne. She did go to work until it kept getting worse. Diagnosed as shingles. Unlike her BIL and Dad, the public could see it. She worked in a supermarket. It looked terrible having a employee looking like that. Customers weren't touching her face, but they certainly breathed the same air. I doubt they would have wanted to touch her face. lol

I suppose this is all irrelevant as well. Question? Should people with shingles be quarantined too? You like to talk about elderly with this, but can happen to younger people as well. Do you think shingles vaccines should be mandatory to prevent chicken pox in unvaccinated? For anyone who has ever had chicken pox regardless of age?

The itchy rash I had on my back looked more like my daughter's "acne", or prickly heat than husband's or SIL's. Never went to a doctor for diagnosis. It went away on it's own in a couple of weeks. None of this experience makes want to go out and spend $300 to get that vaccine. As a female, I certainly was not about to go out in public bare chested.
Your point?

Yes, anyone of every age can get shingles. The only requirement to be at risk is to have had chickenpox or been vaccinated for it. The risk of shingles and persistent pain is less with the vaccine. The older you get, the higher the risk of getting shingles, and that is why the cutoff age for starting the vaccine is 50. It is mainly a matter of cost.

Your family had mild disease, it appears, and no permanent pain. That is a good thing.

There are people with postherpetic pain so severe that they cannot wear any clothing at all, much less leave the house. Sometimes the pain drives them to suicide.

People with shingles are not quarantined, but if the rash cannot be covered they should avoid contact with anyone who is not immune to chickenpox. The virus van be transmitted by contact with fluid from the blisters.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:19 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,849,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Did you have chicken pox as a kid? Do you understand that in the pre-vaccine era, pretty much everyone would get chicken pox at one point or another? And that having it young would reduce complications including the risk of death? If your kids were around in the pre-vaccine era did you try to avoid chicken pox so that their risk would go up as they grew older? If not, can you understand why parents did expose their kids? It was actually ignorant to try and avoid it during that time period. That’s what we were talking about. You just keep trying to change the subject rather then just admit that they weren’t ignorant. They were smart.
Intentionally exposing multiple children to Chicken Pox only increases the spread of this highly contagious disease. Not such a brilliant idea.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:19 PM

10,245 posts, read 6,335,303 times
Quote:
My case was mild and I have zero scars. Possibly because I was younger when I got it. A definite advantage. How was your DH’s sisters case as an adult? And why do you think her parents let her get to adulthood without catching it as a child? Do you think they were ignorant to the fact that it’s milder in kids?

You realize that Kara’s daycare kids are just as at risk of shingles as you and anyone else who had chicken pox in the pre-vaccine era. Not sure what mentioning that to her was about. That happened prior to a vaccine being available. Those kids were going to get it at one point or another and they were lucky to get it young. Sounds like the parents thought so as well.

Waiting until kids were older only served to increase the risk of complications. It was ignorance at best. The parents who exposed their kids early were the smart ones.

This is why my Mom used to brag that I had all those diseases as a baby. I would never miss school for them while all the other older kids did. I can remember many an almost empty classroom growing up. Booooooo.

Damn, I had to wait until my old age for not only those pox marks to go away or my small pox vaccination as well. Ugly as a young woman wearing short shorts or bikini.

Edit: When I had that itchy,whatever it was, rash on my back, I went braless and wore a baggy shirt! Doctor, doctor, give me something to stop this itching! NO. MEN think they have a problem????

Last edited by Jo48; 04-14-2019 at 02:33 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 02:22 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,771,381 times
Quote:
Miss Terri, you said many posts back that you yourself are immune compromised, yet you are Pro Choice. Aren't you supposed to be demanding that the public protect YOU with their vaccinations? You would be in the vulnerable group, babies, elderly, and immune compromised, that vaccinated Herd needs to protect; not just themselves, their children, but the vulnerable people as well.

I think a lot of the posters on here are missing this with your "anti-vax" statements. BTW. my immune compromised younger daughter also believes in Choice. Actually, my older daughter does as well. They vaccinate their own children but don't demand others do as well; including their own family members. Younger daughter says to me all the time, "(Elderly)Mom stay away me because I have the Flu, Pneumonia. Not, Mom, get your Flu and Pneumonia shots or you will give ME those diseases. Older daughter is the same with her Newborn.
Yeah I have autoimmune disease. I’m definitely pro choice when it comes to both vaccines and abortion. I also avoid others when sick as to not expose them and appreciate when others are considerate in that way as well not matter what the illness is.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
My case was mild and I have zero scars. Possibly because I was younger when I got it. A definite advantage. How was your DH’s sisters case as an adult? And why do you think her parents let her get to adulthood without catching it as a child? Do you think they were ignorant to the fact that it’s milder in kids?

You realize that Kara’s daycare kids are just as at risk of shingles as you and anyone else who had chicken pox in the pre-vaccine era. Not sure what mentioning that to her was about. That happened prior to a vaccine being available. Those kids were going to get it at one point or another and they were lucky to get it young. Sounds like the parents thought so as well.

Waiting until kids were older only served to increase the risk of complications. It was ignorance at best. The parents who exposed their kids early were actually the smart ones not the ignorant ones as some here have asserted.
It seems you think that all parents rushed to expose children to infectious diseases before there were vaccines for them. That is not true. There was never a universal recommendation by doctors to do it. Parties would not guarantee a child would catch the diseases anyway. Just in the course of daily living most kids were going to catch chickenpox at earlier ages, and almost all by age fifteen.

Parents who did not do it were not ignorant.

Why keep pressing on this point? Chickenpox parties now are certainly an ignorant thing to do.

Vaccinate.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:28 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,821,029 times
Quote:
Miss Terri, you said many posts back that you yourself are immune compromised, yet you are Pro Choice. Aren't you supposed to be demanding that the public protect YOU with their vaccinations? You would be in the vulnerable group, babies, elderly, and immune compromised, that vaccinated Herd needs to protect; not just themselves, their children, but the vulnerable people as well.

I think a lot of the posters on here are missing this with your "anti-vax" statements. BTW. my immune compromised younger daughter also believes in Choice. Actually, my older daughter does as well. They vaccinate their own children but don't demand others do as well; including their own family members. Younger daughter says to me all the time, "(Elderly)Mom stay away me because I have the Flu, Pneumonia. Not, Mom, get your Flu and Pneumonia shots or you will give ME those diseases. Older daughter is the same with her Newborn.
I’m for choice as well given that the only way to override choice is to forcibly hold people down and vaccinate them. That’s not something I’m comfortable with ever seeing happen. My hope is that everyone who can safely get vaccinated (they have no medical contraindication) does so. That gives them the best chance of not getting a VPD and passing it to a medically vulnerable person or child too young to be vaccinated.

I’m not for people evading vaccines for religious or philosophical reasons nor am I ok with them seeking bogus medical waivers as is happening in California. I support any state who disallows these types of unneeded waivers. And I think more and more will as outbreaks become more frequent and severe.

My daughter feels differently about vaccines. Her first concern will be for her newborn. As it should be. He’ll be the most vulnerable one and limiting access to a family member (if they were unvaccinated) doesn’t bother her at all. Not being allowed to hold a baby never damaged anyone. And of course, her kid her choice.

Get vaccinated or don’t. Your call.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 04-14-2019 at 02:39 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 02:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Bummer for you and your DH’s youngest sibling that you weren’t exposed younger as your chances of having a milder illness would have been much higher. I was about 6 or so and my parents deliberately exposed me. It was very mild. Mostly just itchy.
My kids were five and eight when they had cpx and were both very sick. The definition of "older" is usually considered 19 or 20. Nice try, though.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:36 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,849,201 times
Quote:
It’s a real answer. People can choose. I’m sorry you don’t like it or get it.
This unborn child doesn't have a choice!

Quote:
If you develop chickenpox during pregnancy, you are at risk of complications such as pneumonia. For your baby, the risks depend on the timing. If chickenpox develops during the first 20 weeks of pregnancy — particularly between weeks eight and 20 — the baby faces a slight risk of a rare group of serious birth defects known as congenital varicella syndrome. A baby who has congenital varicella syndrome might develop skin scarring, and eye, brain, limb and gastrointestinal abnormalities. If chickenpox develops during the few days before you deliver to 48 hours postpartum, the baby might be born with a potentially life-threatening infection called neonatal varicella.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...y/faq-20057886

Old 04-14-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This unborn child doesn't have a choice!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...y/faq-20057886
That is why many obstetricians will do a titer for varicella antibodies if a patient is considering pregnancy and offer the vaccine if she is not immune, before she gets pregnant. They do that with rubella, too, not waiting until someone is already pregnant to test.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:40 PM

10,245 posts, read 6,335,303 times
It is all about Free Speech and Choice, even if we elderly's experiences do not agree with what today's medical science wants you to think we should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies