Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 09:30 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Neither I nor my siblings played outside with chicken pox.
Nor did any of my children.

Anyone who allowed that is guilty of intentionally inflicting personal injury.
Interesting point. Back in the day people weren’t quick to sue, but in today’s environment a case will probably happen sooner or later where a parent sues another parent for not keeping their contagious kid home when they know they’re contagious.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:30 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Lack of a waiver does not force you to get a vaccine. You can still choose not to vaccinate.

If that’s wrong, please provide a link to state law (any state will do) where the lack of a waiver triggers a forced vaccination when a parent doesn’t want their child to get the vaccine. Unless you can provide this, your claim that you don’t have the right to choose is false.

A lot of parents are forced to have their children vaccinated against their will due to the need to send them to school so they can have an education and th parents can go to work and be able to afford to put a roof over their heads and food ot he table. You can’t seem to grasp this is not true choice.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
My previous post was correct then. You would have been the one and only kid in my neighborhood hiding inside from all of us other kids who were running, biking, swimming and playing getting the chicken pox over and done with. You think you were so much smarter to wait and hope that you got it older so you could increase your risk of complications, including death. Who’s idea was crazier? Without a doubt, yours.
Your neighborhood sounds like the outlier, according to all the people posting here who said no such thing was going on in their 'hoods.

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
My previous post was correct then. You would have been the one and only kid in my neighborhood hiding inside from all of us other kids who were running, biking, swimming and playing getting the chicken pox over and done with. You think you were so much smarter to wait and hope that you got it older so you could increase your risk of complications, including death. Who’s idea was crazier? Without a doubt, yours.
I grew up in the 80s and nobody played outside with chickenpox. I'm wondering if you are remembering incorrectly or maybe thinking of a different illness, like 5th disease or something? When you have the chickenpox, you have a fever and are miserable with itching; you're not running around outside getting all sweaty or going swimming. I remember my mom putting calamine lotion on me and me shivering in bed with a fever. Who would send their kid out to play with those symptoms?

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Oh the horror. I had to sit out a few days since my mother was respectful of other people’s kids and didn’t want to make the choice to be exposed to a disease for them.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Your neighborhood sounds like the outliers, according to all the people posting here who said no such thing was going on in their 'hoods.
There have been just as many people as myself who have had similar experiences. Maybe you were among the outliers.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
A lot of parents are forced to have their children vaccinated against their will due to the need to send them to school so they can have an education and th parents can go to work and be able to afford to put a roof over their heads and food ot he table. You can’t seem to grasp this is not true choice.
It is still a choice. You can't necessarily choose to be exempt from the consequences of your choice, but you can certainly still make your choice. Lots of working parents homeschool; that's a valid way to choose not to vaccinate. There's online school, too. Hire a babysitter and have the kids do school online. Or work split shifts with your spouse so one can homeschool the kids during the day while the other works. Someone who is very dedicated to their ideal of not vaccinating would be able to find an alternative, no doubt. Nobody will hold down your child and vaccinate them against your will.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Oh the horror. I had to sit out a few days since my mother was respectful of other people’s kids and didn’t want to make the choice to be exposed to a disease for them.

Yep you increased your risk of complications including death by staying inside, hiding from the kids who had chicken pox. You still go the chicken pox anyway. Not smart.

Also, the parents I knew actually talked to one another. No one was being disrespectful and exposing people without discussing it.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I grew up in the 80s and nobody played outside with chickenpox. I'm wondering if you are remembering incorrectly or maybe thinking of a different illness, like 5th disease or something? When you have the chickenpox, you have a fever and are miserable with itching; you're not running around outside getting all sweaty or going swimming. I remember my mom putting calamine lotion on me and me shivering in bed with a fever. Who would send their kid out to play with those symptoms?
I am remembering correctly. It was chicken definitely pox.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I bet your mean helicopter mom also made you stay inside when you had the flu even though you were clamoring to be let out while sweating and shivering and vomiting and hacking up a lung coughing. Am I right?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies