Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 09:37 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
It is still a choice. You can't necessarily choose to be exempt from the consequences of your choice, but you can certainly still make your choice. Lots of working parents homeschool; that's a valid way to choose not to vaccinate. There's online school, too. Hire a babysitter and have the kids do school online. Or work split shifts with your spouse so one can homeschool the kids during the day while the other works. Someone who is very dedicated to their ideal of not vaccinating would be able to find an alternative, no doubt. Nobody will hold down your child and vaccinate them against your will.
Do you know any poor people?

Old 04-15-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I bet your mean helicopter mom also made you stay inside when you had the flu even though you were clamoring to be let out while sweating and shivering and vomiting and hacking up a lung coughing. Am I right?

Having the flu doesn’t give one lifetime immunity as you can get it again and again. Not a very good comparison.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:39 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
A lot of parents are forced to have their children vaccinated against their will due to the need to send them to school so they can have an education and th parents can go to work and be able to afford to put a roof over their heads and food ot he table. You can’t seem to grasp this is not true choice.
They’re NOT being forced to vaccinate. Is someone holding them down and forcing a needle into their arm because that’s what being forced looks like. Is that happening??? If you say it is, prove it with a link.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:40 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
Quote:
Do you know any poor people?
Yes. I even know poor people who homeschool. Not because they are afraid to have their kids vaccinated, though... I do know some antivax people but I don't think any of them would really be considered poor. I'm sure they exist; I just don't know them personally as far as I'm aware.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Having the flu doesn’t give one lifetime immunity as you can get it again and again. Not a very good comparison.
This is true, but you're miserable when you have the flu and you're miserable when you have chickenpox. I was more poking fun at the thought that kids who are sick with chickenpox want to be outside playing. Once the acute phase has passed and all that's left is the drying pox, sure... but at that point, you're no longer contagious anyway. Or not very contagious. When you're dealing with a fever and bleeding pox from scratching, you wouldn't want to be outside in the first place and I can't imagine a parent forcing you outdoors to play, whether or not they cared about exposing other kids to the pox.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Yep you increased your risk of complications including death by staying inside, hiding from the kids who had chicken pox. You still go the chicken pox anyway. Not smart.

Also, the parents I knew actually talked to one another. No one was being disrespectful and exposing people without discussing it.
Lord your reading comprehension is poor.

Once more: I didn’t stay inside before I had chickenpox. Other kids stayed inside when they had it meaning I could go out and play. I guess their moms either believed a kid with a fever and open sores had no business playing with others or they were respectful of the notion that it wasn’t their decision to make to expose other people’s children to disease. When I had the chickenpox, it was my turn to stay inside.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I bet your mean helicopter mom also made you stay inside when you had the flu even though you were clamoring to be let out while sweating and shivering and vomiting and hacking up a lung coughing. Am I right?

You’re right. I forgot about that. Do you know, she even made me stay inside the days after I spent all night in the hospital getting breathing treatments for asthma? And asthma isn’t even contagious! Mean. Just plain old mean.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You’re right. I forgot about that. Do you know, she even made me stay inside the days after I spent all night in the hospital getting breathing treatments for asthma? And asthma isn’t even contagious! Mean. Just plain old mean.
She took you to the hospital?? That is helicoptering to the max. Back in the day we just ignored our inability to breathe and continued to race through the woods and swim in the lake regardless.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
She took you to the hospital?? That is helicoptering to the max. Back in the day we just ignored our inability to breathe and continued to race through the woods and swim in the lake regardless.
Well, the doctor probably guilted her into taking me when I had a bad attack with all his talk about how I wasn’t likely to survive to adulthood with the severity of my asthma. Nothing less probably would have had an impact. Her parenting plan was to do as little as possible with/for us. She probably took me because she’d have been embarrassed to have a kid die from a “personal weakness” as she liked to call my asthma.

This is a woman who told my brother to stop crying and being a baby when he was 5 and fell out of a tree and cried because his arm hurt. Next day she finally gave in and took him to the doctor. His arm was broken in 2 places. Yeah, she was quite the coddler.

ATW - I definitely got that you were kidding! No rational person thinks taking a kid in the midst of a severe asthma attack to the hospital is being a helicopter parent. My mother was more of a satellite circling the planet sort of parent. The farther away from interaction with her kids the better she liked it.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 04-15-2019 at 10:29 AM..

Old 04-15-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
This is true, but you're miserable when you have the flu and you're miserable when you have chickenpox. I was more poking fun at the thought that kids who are sick with chickenpox want to be outside playing. Once the acute phase has passed and all that's left is the drying pox, sure... but at that point, you're no longer contagious anyway. Or not very contagious. When you're dealing with a fever and bleeding pox from scratching, you wouldn't want to be outside in the first place and I can't imagine a parent forcing you outdoors to play, whether or not they cared about exposing other kids to the pox.

Your experience with chicken pox was not my experience with it. I did want to be outside playing and so did my friends. No one forced me us either. I don’t know what else to tell you.

I also had the flu this winter and after the first 24 hours was up and about doing things around the house. More tired then normal for sure but not stuck in bed, wallowing in misery. And yes it was really the flu.

It’s well known that chicken pox is less servere in children then in adults so I’m really baffled as to how people think it was so crazy to plan to get it over with earlier rather then try to avoid it and then get it later anyway because you were going to get it sooner or later back in the day no matter how hard you tried and if even if you managed to avoid it then you just increased your risk as an adult by a lot. It wasn’t more logical or safer even if it was what all the people you know did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies