Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 11:22 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,120,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You're just jealous because you don't have one of those unlimited credit cards I was talking about.

That's a violation of the NAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
We can be responsible or we can collapse under the weight of our debt. We've spent 40 years being insanely irresponsible w/ moments of lucidity here and there, so let try the other way.
It's already far too late. $210 trillion in unfunded liabilities is completely unsustainable and the entire house of cards is going to collapse sooner rather than later.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Are you ok with adding $3.2 trillion a year to the debt for UHC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Absolutely not.

All taxation is theft, and the State has no business being involved in healthcare.
It can't be both.

Either you add it to the debt, or you pay it with tax money.

Think about before inserting the standard "taxation is theft" talking points.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:50 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
It's already far too late. $210 trillion in unfunded liabilities is completely unsustainable and the entire house of cards is going to collapse sooner rather than later.
CBO says interest alone on the debt will be $7 trillion over the next decade.

It's completely unsustainable.

Then again, if there's one criminal enterprise in all of human history able to find enough places/people to steal that $7 trillion from it would be the U.S. government.

Now please stand for the national anthem.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:54 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Forget climate change and immigration - the debt is our biggest threat:

You Thought Monetary Policy Was Crazy…
David Stockman | April 08, 2019

I’ve been “face first†with Washington D.C.’s endless capacity for fiscal profligacy for nearly five decades now, starting with my time in Congress right up through my experience running the Office and Management and Budget (OMB) for Ronald Reagan.

I used to think I wasn’t easily surprised. Then I looked at spending and revenue numbers for the first five months of fiscal 2019. And I marvel…

During the month of February alone, our federal government spent $398 billion and collected just $171 billion. That means we borrowed 57 cents of every dollar spend. You can suggest timing anomalies. You can point to the fact that February isn’t a big month for revenue collections. And, still… you can’t make this stuff up…

February was month No. 116 of the current recovery. We’re just three months from matching the all-time-record. That previous run, 119 months, happened during the far more benign environment of the 1990s technology boom.........To our knowledge, there’s never been a textbook written – even by the most rabid Keynesian scribbler – that recommends borrowing such an ungodly share of outlays at this stage.

Let’s remove the short-term anomalies in the February figures. Let’s pull back and look at the full fiscal year to date. From October, Uncle Sam spent $1.819 billion and collected just $1.282 billion. That’s $537 billion of red ink. That’s 30% of outlays......

The details underscore the true disaster. Social Security/Medicare outlays were up by 5%. Defense spending was up 9.5%. Veterans care was up 10%. And the interest cost on the public debt was up 10.5%.

On the other hand, individual income tax collections were down by $20 billion, or 3%, from last year. Corporate receipts dropped by $14 billion. That’s a whopping 19.2%. These plunges happened notwithstanding a 4.5% increase in wage and salary incomes and flat pre-tax corporate profits during this year's first five months compared to last year.

Spending is more out of control than ever. And the Donald’s and the GOP’s tax cuts aren’t paying for themselves, and it’s not even close.....Embracing spending program at 21% of GDP while boasting about a revenue policy of 16% of GDP – with credit-card financed tax cuts – is irresponsible at any point in the cycle......Doing it while an old and weak recovery rolls over is madness.

The best thing to do is not have any kids I guess.....then you don't have to worry about what calamity will befall upon them as a result of our current greed.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:00 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
In the very off chance that it would help at all....my bro is a conspiracy nut and has been telling me that since my adult life started. Now my adult life is almost over.

A broken clock will be correct at some point. But, honestly, you are not the one to know when and even if. It's really way past your or my pay grade.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It can't be both.

Either you add it to the debt, or you pay it with tax money.

Think about before inserting the standard "taxation is theft" talking points.
Nope. You simply repudiate the debt.

https://www.fff.org/explore-freedom/...national-debt/

Old 04-09-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
CBO says interest alone on the debt will be $7 trillion over the next decade.

It's completely unsustainable.

Then again, if there's one criminal enterprise in all of human history able to find enough places/people to steal that $7 trillion from it would be the U.S. government.

Now please stand for the national anthem.

And don't forget to worship the sky cloth.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:09 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Nope. You simply repudiate the debt.

https://www.fff.org/explore-freedom/...national-debt/
What about the ponzi scheme of borrow/pay interest until humans go extinct?

Look under your couch cushions. If you find two cents, one goes to the government. That's my stance.

#No_Recess_4_Prez_2020

Old 04-09-2019, 01:12 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Are you OK with Trump adding $2.6 trillion to the debt so far?
It's Trump, Congress, and everyone who elected them.

Just like it was Obama, Congress, and everyone who elected them for doubling the debt in 8 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies