Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 11:15 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,867,540 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/cnsnews...give-chosen-18

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/06/u...imes&smtyp=cur

More giveaway's proposed, while deficits skyrocket and have not seen anything yet as a vast majority of baby boomers have yet to retire.

If Democrats gain control of the presidency with all the grandiose plans they have the country would be in a debt-crisis like Greece in the next decade.

Luckily, they are just trying to manipulate micro-segments of independent voters into voting for them and then they turn there back on them.

Shameful, that they are lying up a storm and promising the world to manipulate struggling people into voting for them and then they will forget about them because they can't deliver anything they are promising without a debt crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 11:16 AM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
they should start that in New Jersey then let us know how that works out....just raise taxes to pay for it.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:21 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
I heard a snippet of Bookers idea on NPR this morning.

The sad part is that this used to be a standard practice for so many families that when a child was born family members would give gifts of cash and as the child grew and reached milestones in their lives other gifts of bonds, cash etc.. would be given and by the time the child was heading off to life the bond would have matured and the bank account grown to give the kid a leg up to go to college, buy a car, start a business.

I guess that this tradition is going away and the Government is once again looking to step in and replace it by throwing money around.

The Democrats sure know like to spend others peoples money.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:06 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Actually, I think there's some merit in this idea. It works sort of on the 401k model of investing a relatively small amount of money over time, and allowing that money to grow into a larger sum by the time the beneficiary gets to use it. This certainly seems better than the direct transfers that are how most welfare programs are run now.

What I don't like is the idea of capping eligibility. If we're going to have a program like this, it should be for everyone. Well, OK, I guess it is, because everyone would start out with $1,000. But there should be contributions every year for everyone. Make it a sliding scale based on income if you want, but there should be some minimum contribution (even if it's just $100) even for people above a certain income threshold.

It would need to be coupled with reducing other programs, such as college grants and first-time homebuyer's incentives, so that we're not just adding another expensive program on top of the ones that we already have.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:52 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,727,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/cnsnews...give-chosen-18

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/06/u...imes&smtyp=cur

More giveaway's proposed, while deficits skyrocket and have not seen anything yet as a vast majority of baby boomers have yet to retire.

If Democrats gain control of the presidency with all the grandiose plans they have the country would be in a debt-crisis like Greece in the next decade.

Luckily, they are just trying to manipulate micro-segments of independent voters into voting for them and then they turn there back on them.

Shameful, that they are lying up a storm and promising the world to manipulate struggling people into voting for them and then they will forget about them because they can't deliver anything they are promising without a debt crisis.
Parents are already heavily subsidized by government with tax credits, high property taxes that fund education and numerous welfare programs for poor families. Thank goodness that his proposal will never see the light of day!

Old 04-10-2019, 04:48 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Turn 18 get money, govt as benevolent parent. Way to teach a work ethic!
Not that govt should do either.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:52 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Actually, I think there's some merit in this idea. It works sort of on the 401k model of investing a relatively small amount of money over time, and allowing that money to grow into a larger sum by the time the beneficiary gets to use it. This certainly seems better than the direct transfers that are how most welfare programs are run now.

What I don't like is the idea of capping eligibility. If we're going to have a program like this, it should be for everyone. Well, OK, I guess it is, because everyone would start out with $1,000. But there should be contributions every year for everyone. Make it a sliding scale based on income if you want, but there should be some minimum contribution (even if it's just $100) even for people above a certain income threshold.

It would need to be coupled with reducing other programs, such as college grants and first-time homebuyer's incentives, so that we're not just adding another expensive program on top of the ones that we already have.
Why dont you do it with your own children and your own money and let us know if it has merit? You know as a trial of sorts

Old 04-10-2019, 04:57 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

As long as I am not paying for others children ok. But those that breed should have their checks garnished for that program. Leave the non breeders out of it.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:15 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Terrible idea.

Paid for how?

Buying votes.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:52 AM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
You can already contribute to 529 as a government education savings tool.

Put $20-30 a paycheck into it and.....oh who am I kidding....we have a ridiculous % of people not even putting $ into their 401k.

Basically, this sounds like a 529 with other peoples money as an additional benefit.

Last edited by Mathguy; 04-10-2019 at 07:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies