Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 08:42 AM

10 posts, read 3,786 times

Advertisements

John Kerry recently said:

"The biggest single thing that is lacking today is political accountability, People can mock the concept of climate change with impunity and there is no cost to pay. That’s got to stop."

I think there is a much bigger problem: The danger of climate alarmism. When I hear stories of school children being terrified that they have no future or a very bleak future, it really makes me angry. This is frankly a field of science that is in it's infancy and our leaders and educators are making predictions in the most alarmist terms possible when the responsible scientific position would be to admit our uncertainty. In the words of the IPCC itself :

"In climate research and modelling, we should recognise that we are dealing with a coupled non-linear chaotic system, and therefore that the long-term prediction of future climate states is not possible."

Instead we have people like AOC saying the world is going to end in 12 years.

You have people like Guy McPherson who teaches our youth at the University of Arizona and has a personal blog with a suicide hotline in the sidebar because his message is so unrelentingly BLEAK that apparently this is a real concern among his readers. I can just imagine what he must be telling his students!

You have constant Op Eds in places like the New York Times telling us how we are doomed and how it's too late to do anything about it.

We have young people who seriously are deciding NOT to have children because they have been indoctrinated by this alarmist hogwash since primary school. That is just unspeakably sad!

Yet.. John Kerry thinks the bigger problem is when Trump and people like him mock climate change!!

Most adults who have lived long enough and lived through similar alarmism in the past like global cooling, acid rain, the population bomb, oil depletion will brush this off and treat it like background noise.
The TRAGEDY here is that the most vulnerable among us, our children, our young adults and those who might already have an anxiety disorder will be severely affected by this irresponsible alarmism.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:51 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1969 View Post
John Kerry recently said:

"The biggest single thing that is lacking today is political accountability, People can mock the concept of climate change with impunity and there is no cost to pay. That’s got to stop."
I would love to see who he specifically means by "people". The reason being he talks about political accountability not personal.

I wonder what he would like the cost to be.

I want someone to ask those 2 questions specifically.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:54 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
The problem:
Kids are always being deluded by the evils spoken in school and all about society.

The current remedy:
We now have easy access to prescriptions to calm the nerves as they are available at arms length.

The old fashioned remedy:
anxiety disorder,depression,sadness, fear,bleakness,talks of suicide,were treated with a few swift kicks to the pants.
This is how the older generations learned to brush the alarmist of the past off his shoulders.

Our future remedy:
We need to invest in more pants.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:48 AM

10 posts, read 3,786 times
One of the saddest things about this constant alarmism ..

https://www.fastcompany.com/90315700...climate-change

Old 04-16-2019, 01:16 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
The problem:
Kids are always being deluded by the evils spoken in school and all about society.

The current remedy:
We now have easy access to prescriptions to calm the nerves as they are available at arms length.

The old fashioned remedy:
anxiety disorder,depression,sadness, fear,bleakness,talks of suicide,were treated with a few swift kicks to the pants.
This is how the older generations learned to brush the alarmist of the past off his shoulders.

Our future remedy:
We need to invest in more pants.
We should bring back lobotomies for the mentally ill, too.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:25 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I would love to see who he specifically means by "people". The reason being he talks about political accountability not personal.

I wonder what he would like the cost to be.

I want someone to ask those 2 questions specifically.
OK> People means all of us...

Political accountability: he is referring to the current political climate that has no problem gutting EPA standards for water, air, and all forms of man made pollution and in calling for disbelief in global scientific studies.

Cost: Cost of pollution will be borne by all of us in shortened life spans, health problems, food shortages, flooded or burnt out homes and in climate refugees.
The children will be the ones who bear the biggest burdens of all since they inherit the planet.

Surprised by people who comment on climate change without understanding the very basic tenets of the concept or what the scientists are saying is happening. It is not a Democratic vs Republican issue except in cases where the Republicans (those who don't believe in scientific research) are trying to make it an us vs them debate. Odd, since we all live on the same planet and breathe the same air. The only "us" they refer to are the major corporations who love to see de-regulation and freedom to poison and pollute.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:27 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,913 times
AOC never said the world would end in 12 years, she said we would pass the tipping point...no turning back.
If you believe that talking point (the one you falsely stated), you believe anything that confirms your political bias.
I listen to the scientists who actually study this area for a living.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:28 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
What's incredibly dangerous is that nearly one whole political party in this country has rejected facts and science.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:40 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
What's incredibly dangerous is that nearly one whole political party in this country has rejected facts and science.
Yeah the DEM party!!!! Everything from the climate to biology.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:47 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
OK> People means all of us...

Political accountability: he is referring to the current political climate that has no problem gutting EPA standards for water, air, and all forms of man made pollution and in calling for disbelief in global scientific studies.

Cost: Cost of pollution will be borne by all of us in shortened life spans, health problems, food shortages, flooded or burnt out homes and in climate refugees.
The children will be the ones who bear the biggest burdens of all since they inherit the planet.

Surprised by people who comment on climate change without understanding the very basic tenets of the concept or what the scientists are saying is happening. It is not a Democratic vs Republican issue except in cases where the Republicans (those who don't believe in scientific research) are trying to make it an us vs them debate. Odd, since we all live on the same planet and breathe the same air. The only "us" they refer to are the major corporations who love to see de-regulation and freedom to poison and pollute.
Actually you did not answer the question.

My angle is specifically who does Kerry want to punish somehow and what is that specific punishment. Nothing more nor less. My question has nothing to do with the general population and is specific to Mr Kerry and who and how he wants to punish. I am seeing the comment from a different angle than the OP.

Btw. The view when one is not on their high horse is quite different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies