Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 07:27 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times

Advertisements

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/14/b...e-tax-cut.html

Face It: You (Probably) Got a Tax Cut

If you’re an American taxpayer, you probably got a tax cut last year. And there’s a good chance you don’t believe it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 07:31 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
And there’s a good chance the Democrats won't give Trump one ounce of credit for it.

I'm sure there is some angle they can work in their minds that will steer thanks to Obama...

Old 04-16-2019, 07:36 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
I went from 28% to 24% tax bracket while actually making more this year than last year.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:41 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
It is remarkable how people equate the size of the refund - which is a numerical measure of how well government can actually plan withholdings according to their own tax rates - with how much they paid in tax. The entire marketing narrative around tax refunds makes most people think tax season is when they get a gift from the government, when it is nothing of the sort.

And the simple fact is, about 80% of the country paid less taxes because of the tax cut, and maybe 30% of the country understands that.

Give credit to NYT for actually pointing it out. I am hard on them, for good reason, but factual reporting about something Trump should get credit for is pretty remarkable and I will give credit where due.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:42 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
We made more money and paid slightly less taxes (overall and as a percentage) than we did last year. We also seriously ramped up our withholding as soon as we heard about the tax cut.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/14/b...e-tax-cut.html

Face It: You (Probably) Got a Tax Cut

If you’re an American taxpayer, you probably got a tax cut last year. And there’s a good chance you don’t believe it....
Are we suppose to see that as a good thing with our 21 trillion dollar deficit?

Old 04-16-2019, 08:02 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
$500 net net.

It was really about the corporate rate reduction which were much larger. The tax cuts to the lower classes were just to make the lower classes shut up.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:11 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Are we suppose to see that as a good thing with our 21 trillion dollar deficit?
Absolutely.

More Americans paying less in tax = more Americans having slightly more freedom.

The debt is a number that represents failure on the part of the government, not the citizens. They get a ridiculously easy to predict (within 5% of the total) amount of revenue, and all they have to do to address that total debt and the annual deficit is SPEND LESS. The citizens, after they vote once every two years, are completely helpless on the point of spending bills, spending debate, spending law and spending behavior on the part of government. We can only sit back and watch, in horror, as year after year, no matter what the revenue is, government outspends it and then blames us for their failure.

It is not the citizens' job to bail out government for 70+ of financial malfeasance. You know how I know this? Hauser's Law. No matter what government tells the American people about how much we need to increase their funding, we all agree that they can have around 17.3% of the GDP. No matter how they structure it, sell, threaten, coerce or cajole us, we are pretty firm on our 17.3% of the GDP. That's their allowance because we said so.

If they have deficit and debt after a 70+ year established pattern of our revenue behavior, then that is 100% on them for being extraordinarily awful at their one freaking job.

If we as citizens fail in some way regarding the deficit and debt, it's that we think voting can change the behavior, when clearly only violence will ever be a proper motivator. It isn't to that point ye, but eventually, they'll take this "blame them for our mistakes" thing too far, and that proper motivator will rear it's head.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
$500 net net.

It was really about the corporate rate reduction which were much larger. The tax cuts to the lower classes were just to make the lower classes shut up.
If you don’t pay taxes, how can you get any tax cut???

Old 04-16-2019, 08:23 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times
While a I agree with you, the reason you don’t see the lift in poll numbers is taxes are not in the top 3 priorities for most Americans right now. The “cut taxes” band wagon is slowing and concerns for healthcare, national and personal debt, education, and retraining people for upcoming lost jobs due to automation are the main issues talked about.

Many of us in the south live in states that have cut taxes for 20+ years but the quality of live did not change for most. More jobs or businesses did not appear any quicker than other regions in the country. Recently we have seen a pushback against some of the cuts to education funding, infrastructure cuts, and complaints against states replacing taxes with neomourous “fees” to do anything.

When I look at my federal taxes compared to all the fees at local levels to make up for education and healthcare cuts, I end up at a wash. I got a tax cut but I paid more for my professional license, property tax, fishing license, increased cell phone fees, increased cable state fees, and many other fees set by the state because they are attempting to recupe the cut money. So in essence we didn’t net anything but the politicians can still say “ I cut your taxes”, it’s all hogwash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies