Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 05:01 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
What does her being single have to do with it? It’s just tacky as hell.
So is making a mockery out of your community and country for all the world to see over childish bull****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 05:04 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Why are they tacky? Who gets to decide that? Even if they are, so what?

The guy in the oversized blue button down looks like a slob in comparison to her outfit. But again, who cares as long as they do the job.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:43 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I see no problem with that outfit. It ain't the 50s anymore which is likely the root of the complainers' issue.
Most of us weren't even alive in the fifties.lol. But women's clothes were pretty form fitting then too, just in a different way.

I've seen other photos of this woman and she looks kind of sloppy in all of them. She just isn't a good dresser. She is also a yoga instructor so maybe that has something to do with her leggings obsession. But her council job isn't yoga, if I were her I'd wear slacks if she is going to speak somewhere as a representative - just out of respect and professionalism for that position. That really isn't asking too much.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:49 PM

6,119 posts, read 4,609,858 times
One comment on the OP's article is that "big girl" to me means "being a grown-up and knowing the difference between at-home clothes and at-work clothes". Her full figure doesn't have anything to do with it. It would still be a poor choice of outfits in a professional situation if she were a skinny lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
It is in the bible belt. Wearing leggings while single is the work of the devil.
I'm in the heart of the so-called Bible belt and have never heard anyone speak of this and as mentioned in my previous posts, lots of women wear all kinds of things that may aren't entirely appropriate for a work environment, including leggings.

Quote:
Many office situations these days are straight casual. Outside of very conservative environments like financial institutions. Good riddance to business casual and professional attire.
I guess it varies from office to office and region to region (it's often said attire on the West Coast is more casual than the East Coast). But when people do take it upon themselves to dress more casually, it's much more often women from my experience because it's still frowned upon among men (one of those unspoken rules).

Old 04-25-2019, 05:52 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't care about size, all I care is that leggings are not appropriate and professional attire for someone in public representing their constituents.

But as is the norm these days, instead of acknowledging how you may be wrong, take your outrage to social media and rally the masses to your side.

So utterly predictable.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/kent...175319257.html

A city councilwoman was body-shamed for wearing leggings to work and called “big” and “lazy” by her constituents.

Emily LaDouceur, 36, of Berea, Kentucky, was elected city councilwoman in November. The single mom-of-two, who also works at The Good Men Project, a website that examines modern manhood, usually wears leggings to sprint through her day.
Unless she's ACTUALLY sprinting - actually physically, legitimately running - the woman should not be wearing leggings as business attire. Get a grip woman. Lazy indeed.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:11 PM

6,119 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Unless she's ACTUALLY sprinting - actually physically, legitimately running - the woman should not be wearing leggings as business attire. Get a grip woman. Lazy indeed.
The truth is that whether people wants to acknowledge it or not, people (including those who say they are the most open minded) do judge someone by the way they look and in an influential and public position like that, someone does have to be mindful of how they present themselves.

The Councilwoman in the OP's article could be the most wonderful and helpful public servant ever, but if she's routinely wearing clothes that look like she would wear lounging around the house in a professional setting, people (including those who say they wouldn't) are going to look at her differently than if she wears more professional attire. I think most people who have gone in the grocery store all sweaty and dirty after working in their yard or gone in the store wearing a suit would notice that they're probably treated a little differently on each occasion. It's human nature, whether people want to acknowledge it or not.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:18 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
I was ready to step all over an obese woman dressing like a Walmart shopper. Then I for once opened the link.
1. She isn't all that big. About average for an American woman who has had children.
2 Her outfit although casual wasn't trashy at all.

I would wager that most of her Kentucky constituents don't dress as well. That woman isn't looking low class at all. Those with the fat jokes or the comments on her dress are just looking for a new issue to be outraged by.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:18 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Many office situations these days are straight casual. Outside of very conservative environments like financial institutions. Good riddance to business casual and professional attire.
Business casual usually means don't wear jeans and keep your Pink Floyd t-shirt hidden under a polo shirt or something. Is that really too much for you?

Old 04-25-2019, 06:34 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Because it's totally unprofessional, and frankly, it's disgusting to see. Leggings are not to be worn as pants.
Says who? She's covered, it doesn't look sloppy.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:37 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
She looks like she rolled out of bed. Not professional at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies