Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 10:14 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Could you explain this concealment theory?

For my part, I would have attributed it to a need to upset people, or challenge them. There is shock value in deliberately departing from the norms of attractiveness, the resulting shock seems intentional.

Of course, they have a perfect right to do that to themselves, I would guess that they like it because they know we probably won't like it. It draws attention to themselves in a negative way, but attention nonetheless.
I hate to break it to you, but so many people have tattoos and body piercings that having a tat/piercing is probably the norm, not the reverse. And no, other people's opinions on tattoos are not so important that a tattooed/pierced person would get lifelong body art just to shock them. Uptight people's annoyance is not that big a deal to us. Many, if not most tattooed individuals get their tattoos done for themselves. Their ink has a personal meaning for them and them alone, no matter where it is located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 10:26 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Could you explain this concealment theory?

For my part, I would have attributed it to a need to upset people, or challenge them. There is shock value in deliberately departing from the norms of attractiveness, the resulting shock seems intentional.

Of course, they have a perfect right to do that to themselves, I would guess that they like it because they know we probably won't like it. It draws attention to themselves in a negative way, but attention nonetheless.
Easy, altering appearance such that people do not see them as they are. That's not that everyone who is tattooed is concealing themselves (speaking as a tuxedo owner). However when people move on to facial, dental, and head tattooing and prosthesis, generally there's more than just aesthetics at play.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Easy, altering appearance such that people do not see them as they are. That's not that everyone who is tattooed is concealing themselves (speaking as a tuxedo owner). However when people move on to facial, dental, and head tattooing and prosthesis, generally there's more than just aesthetics at play.
I agree with your theory. I've met a good many people with RADICALLY-altered looks due to piercings and tattoos and they ALL were trying to conceal themselves in one way or another.

It's all in the placement. I'd say the more covered the neck and face/head and the inclusion of prostheses with multiple piercings in the same area are what I've seen, too.

I say this as a person who has some very large tattoos.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:46 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I
I say this as a person who has some very large tattoos.
My largest stretches from my Coccyx to C8, and across my shoulders and ribs. Took 40 hours in total. You can bet I didn't do that for shock value

Old 04-29-2019, 12:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
My largest stretches from my Coccyx to C8, and across my shoulders and ribs. Took 40 hours in total. You can bet I didn't do that for shock value
Not unless you walk around nude.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:09 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
What I find funny is that so many people spend a lot of time, effort and money trying to shock others and be different but cry like babies when others are shocked and treat them different!
To a certain degree, I agree with you. You have a point.

However, in this case, unless the op came up to the waiter and said, "I would've tipped you more if you got rid of your body piercings and tattoos", the waiter would just think of our op as a cheap person.

Plus a lot of Marines have tattoos. Just sayin'.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I would just walk out, tired of all the freaks.
You would? That is overly dramatic. lol

You remind me of a female relative of mine. She constantly complains about things, from people's looks to their hair style, their body arts, and the way they talk. I remember one of the guys I used to date told me, "I hate to say this, but your aunt is a bit weird." I think weird is a nice way to call somebody a freak. lol She acted just like you. All b.s. aside, i think most people (happy people) just don't want to associate with negative individuals.

Walking out of the restaurant simply because the waiter had some tattoos is pretty darn dramatic.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-29-2019 at 01:21 PM..

Old 04-29-2019, 01:12 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
This is a stupid question the OP might as well be asking if your server was gay or black, would you tip them.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:24 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
It’s sad to see a young, handsome, energetic waiter who is loaded with tattoos and mouth rings? I’ll still tip the guy, but I’d tip him more if he looked decent. When I was growing up, you had to pretty much dress the part to suit the customers (not the other way around). Why even hire someone like this? Is that all they can find?
Have you checked the calendar lately, it's 2019. Things are just different these days, things that were unacceptable generations ago, is not necessary the case today. This same guy probably would have been called a freak generations ago, but no one would hardly even notice him today. Can't always judge a book by it's cover, and I would tip him for good service, and not for his looks.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Have you checked the calendar lately, it's 2019. Things are just different these days, things that were unacceptable generations ago, is not necessary the case today. This same guy probably would have been called a freak generations ago, but no one would hardly even notice him today. Can't always judge a book by it's cover, and I would tip him for good service, and not for his looks.
exactly! A good waiter happened to have some tattoos, I don't know what the big deal is. You really don't have to be a liberal to know how to treat others with basic human decency. It is not like he committed a crime or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies