Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 09:16 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

Tired of the freaks.
I think different people have different definition of "freaks".

I tip for good service, that is it. No more/less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 09:16 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
It's sad to me that someone with a piercing or a tattoo scares you. Have you tried to confront these fears? It's not healthy to be afraid of other people based on what they look like.
This needs to stop. I'm in agreement that I would not tip less just because the waiter had a tattoo, but this incessant need to claim that someone not liking something means they "fear" it, is ridiculous.

I don't like green peas. It does not mean that I "fear" green peas.

This is something I am tired of hearing every time someone says they don't like something. Suddenly, people want to accuse them of having a "phobia". No. It has NOTHING to do with fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I was asked about hygiene laws and my posts ave nothing to do with you.

As for the US from what I have seen here, you must have pretty poor standards if you have people with nose/mouthrings preparing and serving food, and allow tattoos to be openly on display in quality eating establishments.
We do not have pretty poor standards. I have never seen a waiter with nose rings or mouth rings or bars or ear gauges. Some may have had a tattoo, but it was not "all over" like some are claiming on here. Some of these people are acting like we are being served by people with tats all over their faces, necks, hands, arms, legs, and have piercings all over their faces, bars, gauges, etc.

I have never been in a restaurant that has that type of person as a waiter. Maybe some of these people who claim to have seen that should dine in finer establishments. When I go out to eat, I don't go to the local tavern or dive for my meal. I have higher standards for my food.

But people can't just keep it to reality. They can't discuss that maybe a waiter has a tattoo on their arm, and you may be able to see part of it on their wrist when their sleeve pulls up as they set a plate down. No, it's morphed into people completely mutilating themselves - all for attention, they say - and how disgusting it is that the rest of us are not disgusted.

I'm not a liberal, I'm not PC, and I'm pretty traditional, overall, but tattoos and small piercings are not a big deal. So what if someone has those things. It doesn't mean that their service sucks, it doesn't mean that they have a low self esteem, it doesn't mean anything except that they wanted to get a tattoo or a piercing.

I have a tattoo. You can't see it. And I sure as hell didn't get it for "attention", nor did I get it because I have "low self esteem". I got it because I wanted it. It has meaning. I thought about it for a decade before I ever got it. If I were to be a waiter, I would officially be a waiter with a tattoo. The funny part is, all of these people who are so repulsed by tattoos would never know I have it, and would be tipping me well because my service would be fantastic.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

If I didn't just walk out immediately, I would tip them zero and write my reason why on the ticket, so that all the other employees would know.

Tired of the freaks.
You would tip them zero even after they provided you with good service?

wow

Old 04-30-2019, 09:19 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In virtually every country I know of visible piercings are not permitted when handling and serving food, hair must be tied back and beards also well groomed or kept in a net. As for Jewellery only minimal amounts are allowed usually in relation to a wedding ring. In terms of tattoos employers are allowed to have their own dress cide in relation to displayed tattoos, tattooos on your face, neck hands ot offensive tattoos.

This is just very basic stuff in most countries and to pretend I don't know the law in the US is nonsense, it's just basic hygiene and dress code policies.

It's first day on the job kind of stuff, such as wash your hands reguarly, don't smoke, don't chew gun, remove all piercings and jewellery, always wear clean cothes have cleand and tidy hair, a clean and tidy beard and wear a hair or beard net if appropriate, and in terms of dress code cover tattoos up and make sure all wounds have a coloured plaster on them.

It's basically common sense stuff.

State Retail and Food Service Codes and Regulations by State - FDA

FDA Food Code

Food safety - Wikipedia

Posting links does not mean you have first hand knowledge of our food code or our inspection practices. Stick to the British forum.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:21 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfBktuMXV00

Reminds me of this episode of WWYD.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:23 AM

I think in all fairness, it is extremely hard to judge based on op.

For example, op mentioned mouth ring. Like I posted earlier, I don't claim to know every restaurant's dress code policy, but a few piercings and tattoos do not automatically disqualify a person from obtaining a position in a restaurant. Most if not all American restaurant owners require their employees to cover up facial piercings, but they are allowed to wear retainer type of piercings to cover up the hole. A small metal lip ring might be allowed because it has nothing to do with poor personal hygiene.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfBktuMXV00

Reminds me of this episode of WWYD.
yep, pretty bad. Many of my friends (boys and gals) refuse to date people who don't treat waiters well. Being cheap is bad enough, try justifying it? lol

Old 04-30-2019, 09:29 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Posting links does not mean you have first hand knowledge of our food code or our inspection practices. Stick to the British forum.
It's generally first day of the job kind of stuff regarding cleanliness, hygiene, jewellery/piercings and dress codes.

In terms of the exact laws they are down to each US State, although there are some FDA guidelines, however basic food hyfgiene if fairly much the same whereever you go in terms ofthe issues I have mentioned.

As for posting, I will post where I like.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:31 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Absolute and utter nonsense. Please cite some peer-reviewed scientific studies to back up your claim or admit that you pulled it out of your 4th point of contact....
Tattoos are for show. Tattoos are similar to someone driving a Porsche, wearing skimpy clothing, or countless other things which have no objective value, but exist only in relation to others.

Basically, would the people getting a bone in their nose still want a bone in their nose if they were living alone on a desert island?

If not, then they are shallow and narcissistic.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:32 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
NO, I would treat them like any other waiter. My tips depend upon:
1. Quality of service
2. Timely delivery of the order.
3. Quality of the food.
4. Atmosphere. (Nobody likes it when the staff is carrying on or are disruptive).

Now if the staff tried to force their political, or ideological views on me? 0 tip.
If the service sucks? 0 tip
If the food sucks? 0 tip
These should be the only things you tip on. The OP is strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies