Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 01:16 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,614,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
People buy too much stuff and get into debt. Maybe time to go on a spending diet and shop in your own closet or garage. I just found a dress I hadn't worn in four years packed away in the back of my closet. It was a pleasant surprise!
Spoken by a true advocate of big, invasive government dictating how you should live your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Buy it used on eBay and craigslist. I've gotten amazing bargains.
This is precisely the type of lowbrow thinking that has the economically illiterate buying into Trumpenomic tariffs. Astounding stuff.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:19 PM

39,179 posts, read 51,522,859 times
Taxing American consumers for everyday products like clothing and shoes is not the way to deal with China. Raising the prices through taxation of parts and raw materials for American manufacturers who then export finished products will put them at a competitive disadvantage leading to loss of sales and jobs.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:03 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,401,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Taxing American consumers for everyday products like clothing and shoes is not the way to deal with China. Raising the prices through taxation of parts and raw materials for American manufacturers who then export finished products will put them at a competitive disadvantage leading to loss of sales and jobs.
The same braindead liberal policies like tariffs are being used by Trump now and the right is loving it. It's amazing how far the GOP has fallen... The worst of both worlds

Old 05-14-2019, 03:30 PM

79,910 posts, read 44,427,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The same braindead liberal policies like tariffs are being used by Trump now and the right is loving it. It's amazing how far the GOP has fallen... The worst of both worlds
Reagan enacted tariffs.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:32 PM

45,379 posts, read 26,646,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Reagan enacted tariffs.
I worked at a motorcycle dealership in the 80's when Reagan slapped his tax on imported motorcycles 750cc and up to protect Harley from well deserved competition.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:42 PM

79,910 posts, read 44,427,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I worked at a motorcycle dealership in the 80's when Reagan slapped his tax on imported motorcycles 750cc and up to protect Harley from well deserved competition.
I sold imported cars. I remember that on trucks we would install the A/C at the dealership to get around tariffs.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:34 PM

16,344 posts, read 8,148,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I've been saying the same thing from day one. Trumpism is a weird combination of the worst aspects of both the left and the right.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:49 PM

16,234 posts, read 5,920,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The Japanese auto industry was a different story because their cars were superior to the US yet their was an effort for tariffs. That amounted to just protectionism for a poor US product and promoted inefficiency. Same thing happened before the recession, the car companies were failing for a good reason.

So if you want to just buy American with no competition then get ready to pay more for less.
Please. No matter what you pay for a Chinese product it is less.

Ok 1 more try.
You can buy a Sears riding lawn mower for 999.00 or you can by a Simplicity ( same size deck and engine) for $3000. That Simplicity will be running 10+ years with few issues. That craftsman you throw away after 5 if you are lucky and by then you've gone crazy fixing crap. That is how it is with Chinese goods. They are throw away items. Cheaper up front but long term, more expensive.

But hey you buy what you like. For the record no one makes a better full sized truck than the big 3. China doesn't make a car that anyone wants to buy even in SE Asia where money is really tight. Ford Ranger is the king of Trucks here followed closely by Toyota.

MG which is Chinese owned now are around, but in low numbers. This is surprising given how cheap they are compared to comparable cars of other makes. Even Suzuki is more popular.

Buy what you like. Me I always buy quality. I bought my Kubota tractor in 2007 and my son just now changed the battery for the first time. The Chinese made tractors? Keep them.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:18 PM

48,714 posts, read 35,236,693 times
But there are China made parts in most of the American made items. It's not really the finished item that is the big deal.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-16-2019, 04:03 AM

5,806 posts, read 5,153,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I don’t care, i don’t buy Chinese made crap.
Then don’t. But apparently most Americans don’t agree with you. China’s trade surplus hit an all time high after trump trade war began. China continues to win over trump and his brain dead team of Keebler elves stupid peons running the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies