Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 08:32 AM

304 posts, read 160,368 times

Advertisements

Now I see this new law that Georgia passed, very restrictive to abortion rights. But as I read through some of the aspect I see a few instances of jurisdictional overreach and personal privacy overreach and then I realized, they WANT THE LAW TO FAIL.

The state overreaches, the court says you have no jurisdiction for other states or to give unnecessary exams this law is invalid then the GOP gets to say liberal/activist judges..you must vote GOP in order to appoint more conservative judges who will uphold this law and then the evangelicals like good sheep will blindly vote in the vain hope of overturning Roe V Wade when in reality they are being played for fools.

I am being 100% serious. Roe v Wade is the biggest issue keeping the evangelicals in their pocket. You can promise to take land, money anything as long as you promise to try and overturn roe v wade they will come out in droves. Without it what can get the evangelicals to the polls? I know some people will say Gay marriage but truthfully it doesn't cause the same "fire in the belly" also most states and people on both sides of the aisle go through great pains to say churches...not civil service workers...but churches have the right to not recognize or sanctions gay marriage it keeps a large chunk at bay.

Back to the abortion law here are the 2 biggest highlights I see.

if you leave the state or help someone leave the state to get an abortion you can still be prosecuted. But if it is legal in a different state what standing does Georgia have? Example, about 40 years or so ago several states had the drinking age at 18 and some had it at 21. It was no uncommon for someone to drive or take mass transit (i.e go from NY where the age was 21 and take the train to NJ where the drinking age was 18) if you came back to NY and obviously not driving or stumbling drunk (DWI & public intoxication know no age limit) you were untouchable in NY. You can literally go up to a cop the next day and say "I'm 18 and I went to NJ and got drunk" and you could not be arrested because you were out of NY jurisdiction. Same concept you leave the jurisdiction of Georgia so they cant touch you for doing a LEGAL act in another jurisdiction.

"Deliberate" Miscarriage can lead to prison. Well according to most (if not all) pro-life people..life begins at conception. and believe it or not it is not uncommon so a Woman to flush out fertilized (conception) eggs during her period. Are we really going to examine woman's tampon and maxi-pads? you know, just to be sure. I know the law say 6 weeks but it takes almost that long for a woman to find out she's pregnant. some woman are 2 or 3 days late on their cycle from time to time. Should the state be granted the authority to examine a woman every month? I thought conservatives were in favor of small government? Plus eating sushi or blue cheese, Diet soda and obviously alcohol and tobacco is not advised during pregnancy, but if a woman is not to get pregnant and eat/does those things (again LEGAL things) then at 6 weeks and a day has a miscarriage (or a late period) could she be prosecuted? I mean she did eat all that blue cheese and sushi and it could play a role in a miscarriage and even though her and her husband/boyfriend were not trying she technically miscarried through deliberate acts so off to jail she goes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 08:50 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
I think these laws will backfire. These states will lose a lot of women of childbearing years who may have relocated to them to work or attend college.

I also think women who do remain in those states will start filing suits for other perks to their unborn children being declared people at 6 weeks. Life insurance, child support, early FMLA, not being imprisoned while pregnant because the fetus did not commit a crime... there's a laundry list of rights women can start demanding for the unborn they're forced to carry by laws like these.

It's not going to end well.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:04 AM

304 posts, read 160,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think these laws will backfire. These states will lose a lot of women of childbearing years who may have relocated to them to work or attend college.

I also think women who do remain in those states will start filing suits for other perks to their unborn children being declared people at 6 weeks. Life insurance, child support, early FMLA, not being imprisoned while pregnant because the fetus did not commit a crime... there's a laundry list of rights women can start demanding for the unborn they're forced to carry by laws like these.

Exactly, maybe woman should do that. It goes back to my point, the GOP WANT these laws to fail abortion is a carrot on a stick. They can't be hero's without a villain and if you eliminate the villain you cant be a hero

Old 05-13-2019, 09:13 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Feed your base voters.

Politics 101.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:28 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
dannyboy84 said:
Quote:
"Deliberate" Miscarriage can lead to prison. Well according to most (if not all) pro-life people..life begins at conception. and believe it or not it is not uncommon so a Woman to flush out fertilized (conception) eggs during her period. Are we really going to examine woman's tampon and maxi-pads? you know, just to be sure. I know the law say 6 weeks but it takes almost that long for a woman to find out she's pregnant. some woman are 2 or 3 days late on their cycle from time to time. Should the state be granted the authority to examine a woman every month? I thought conservatives were in favor of small government? Plus eating sushi or blue cheese, Diet soda and obviously alcohol and tobacco is not advised during pregnancy, but if a woman is not to get pregnant and eat/does those things (again LEGAL things) then at 6 weeks and a day has a miscarriage (or a late period) could she be prosecuted? I mean she did eat all that blue cheese and sushi and it could play a role in a miscarriage and even though her and her husband/boyfriend were not trying she technically miscarried through deliberate acts so off to jail she goes?

Outside of rape and to save her body (health reasons), I am against abortion. That said, your above quoted paragraph does raise the issues of privacy and government overreach. So, I am not in favor of these new restrictive laws either.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:05 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

They are also going to lose a lot of jobs as businesses decide to avoid Georgia.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:07 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
Now I see this new law that Georgia passed, very restrictive to abortion rights. But as I read through some of the aspect I see a few instances of jurisdictional overreach and personal privacy overreach and then I realized, they WANT THE LAW TO FAIL.

The state overreaches, the court says you have no jurisdiction for other states or to give unnecessary exams this law is invalid then the GOP gets to say liberal/activist judges..you must vote GOP in order to appoint more conservative judges who will uphold this law and then the evangelicals like good sheep will blindly vote in the vain hope of overturning Roe V Wade when in reality they are being played for fools.

I am being 100% serious. Roe v Wade is the biggest issue keeping the evangelicals in their pocket. You can promise to take land, money anything as long as you promise to try and overturn roe v wade they will come out in droves. Without it what can get the evangelicals to the polls? I know some people will say Gay marriage but truthfully it doesn't cause the same "fire in the belly" also most states and people on both sides of the aisle go through great pains to say churches...not civil service workers...but churches have the right to not recognize or sanctions gay marriage it keeps a large chunk at bay.

Back to the abortion law here are the 2 biggest highlights I see.

if you leave the state or help someone leave the state to get an abortion you can still be prosecuted. But if it is legal in a different state what standing does Georgia have? Example, about 40 years or so ago several states had the drinking age at 18 and some had it at 21. It was no uncommon for someone to drive or take mass transit (i.e go from NY where the age was 21 and take the train to NJ where the drinking age was 18) if you came back to NY and obviously not driving or stumbling drunk (DWI & public intoxication know no age limit) you were untouchable in NY. You can literally go up to a cop the next day and say "I'm 18 and I went to NJ and got drunk" and you could not be arrested because you were out of NY jurisdiction. Same concept you leave the jurisdiction of Georgia so they cant touch you for doing a LEGAL act in another jurisdiction.

It is a 10th amendment issue and no one has ever been able to point to the place in the US constitution, that authorizes the federal government to rule one way or the other>>>>> Left to the States, or the people themselves.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is a 10th amendment issue and no one has ever been able to point to the place in the US constitution, that authorizes the federal government to rule one way or the other>>>>> Left to the States, or the people themselves.
And, Georgia wants to punish people who leave the state and get an abortion, so please point to where that is allowed by law. You cannot punish people who smoke pot in Colorado or people who drink under 18 in Europe. You can only go by what is allowed in a given state. Once people leave that state, they can do whatever is allowed in whatever state or country they visit.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
They are also going to lose a lot of jobs as businesses decide to avoid Georgia.
They're already losing their film industry because of it.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:21 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
That bill is a sham and was obviously designed to garner religious votes while, in effect, doing nothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies