Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 07:05 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,844 times

Advertisements

The new program is unveiled at the white house.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachels...#714a54ea218e/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 07:27 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Well it does make sense. Excons have a tough time as it is in getting back on their feet after they have served their time so giving them a Lyft to a job interview is a good idea.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well it does make sense. Excons have a tough time as it is in getting back on their feet after they have served their time so giving them a Lyft to a job interview is a good idea.
And subsidized housing and Federal Government jobs.

Can you imagine the outrage if Obama did this?

Old 06-14-2019, 07:37 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
It's a part of resocialization. There are many petty criminals in jails. Not all are killers or rapists.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:44 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
I don't like it, especially the subsidized housing. There are long wait lists for it, and no criminal should get into subsidized housing until all law-abiding people on the list do.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:59 AM

662 posts, read 313,630 times
Seems like a good idea to get people back into the workforce ASAP after prison. Good job by the White House and Trump. Did you hear that all you right wingers that constantly bash me and call me a far left Trump hater? I said GOOD JOB ON THIS TRUMP.
It is possible to totally detest a president in general and still give them credit where credit is due.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:59 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,185,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I don't like it, especially the subsidized housing. There are long wait lists for it, and no criminal should get into subsidized housing until all law-abiding people on the list do.
Nope. The reason is to pick the ones who can make tons of money through whatever methods they choose in order to grow the economy. Felons, especially males of a certain type, are okay if they are a positive addition to the economy. The old lady with her 20 cats isn't worth nearly as much.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Nope. The reason is to pick the ones who can make tons of money through whatever methods they choose in order to grow the economy. Felons, especially males of a certain type, are okay if they are a positive addition to the economy. The old lady with her 20 cats isn't worth nearly as much.
I'm sure an old lady who has 20 cats wouldn't be eligible. However, an old lady who worked a modest job her entire life, never so much as got a speeding ticket, and now has a small social security payment should get priority over an ex-con.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
Seems like a good idea to get people back into the workforce ASAP after prison. Good job by the White House and Trump. Did you hear that all you right wingers that constantly bash me and call me a far left Trump hater? I said GOOD JOB ON THIS TRUMP.
It is possible to totally detest a president in general and still give them credit where credit is due.
Well natural,y the liberals would like this, because they always side with the underdog or lawbreaker. IN liberal land, a criminal - former or otherwise - is seen as more deserving than someone who follows laws.

Question: There is one bus ticket to a job interview available, and two people want it. One is a poor but law-abiding 40-year-old woman who just lost her job at Target, and the other is a 22-year-old male who just got out of jail for robbing a 7-11. Neither has the money to buy it own their own. Who should get it?

Old 06-14-2019, 08:27 AM

662 posts, read 313,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Well natural,y the liberals would like this, because they always side with the underdog or lawbreaker. IN liberal land, a criminal - former or otherwise - is seen as more deserving than someone who follows laws.

Question: There is one bus ticket to a job interview available, and two people want it. One is a poor but law-abiding 40-year-old woman who just lost her job at Target, and the other is a 22-year-old male who just got out of jail for robbing a 7-11. Neither has the money to buy it own their own. Who should get it?
Well, naturally, you don't have the ability to see rationally.

When someone gets out of jail, they have paid for their crime. If jail should have any purpose, it should be to reduce crime overall. The best way to prevent a former inmate from getting back into crime is to help them get out of the life they were in before they went to jail. This means finding a job and a means to take care of themselves without resorting to crime again.

As for your question, I would give the ticket to the law abiding citizen first and try to figure out how to make a ticket available for both situations in the future.
You would just sit around bitching and complaining that a former inmate has the audacity to take a bus ticket from a program that might help keep them from getting back into crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies